IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Clu Clu Land

Events Team · Posted

Ladies, gentlemen, squids, welcome for the final round of phase 1 of the 2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest!

To challenge our players in such an important round and to represent the Puzzle Genre, we bring forth... CLU CLU LAND!

The rules for this week are:

• Play till you beat stage 16 (the first bonus stage) or till game over, whichever comes first
  • Pause the game on the score screen after all the bonus have been computed and take your picture
  • Highest stage progress wins, with highest score used as tie breaker
  • Genre: Puzzle

The contest ends Sunday, 04/28/24 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Events Team · Posted
1st BriGuy82 16 - 129370
2nd Tablew/chairs 16 - 126570
3rd Gaia Gensouki 16 - 120040
4th PII 16 - 117630
5th Seppatoni 14 - 87490
6th G-type 5 - 28280
7th mbd39 5 - 23270
8th a3quit4s 3 - 9710

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, PII said:

@BeaIank It looks like there's a  bonus level after the first 5 levels and then after every 4 levels following that.

I also noticed that the Famicom version has different patterns than the North American release...

We will use the NTSC version, not the famicom one.
And it is fine about the bonus levels. You will still pause at the end of stage 16, which is a bonus level.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
On 4/25/2024 at 8:57 PM, G-type said:

This is my style of game. It’s got a steep learning curve so I’m not good at it yet. But puzzle? It’s an arcade action game!

You're right! We deliberately put it in the Puzzle genre knowing that it is mainly an Arcade game, just because of the slight element of puzzle in it (creating an unknown form out of the coins). We do that sometimes to fill in more of the best suitable contest games in the different categories.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

You're right! We deliberately put it in the Puzzle genre knowing that it is mainly an Arcade game, just because of the slight element of puzzle in it (creating an unknown form out of the coins). We do that sometimes to fill in more of the best suitable contest games in the different categories.

I think when you get to the point in this game with the 2 sided rupees it becomes alot more like a puzzle game as well.

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I think when you get to the point in this game with the 2 sided rupees it becomes alot more like a puzzle game as well.

It does indeed. And as Gui said, sometimes we take some liberties with the genres to bring in games that are more fun to the contest.
And this one is plenty of fun!

• Like 1

I was fully prepared to pass on this one since I absolutely didn't like it during my first testing sessions and never made it past level 5 no matter how many tries. However, something clicked today and I was making steady progress during the past 5 or 6 hours. I eventually got a lucky run and ended up with this score:

Level 16 - 120,040

CluCluLand.jpg.102d12e541d26b77284aebfe5c8cbfb9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1