IGNORED

Best Day of your Life

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

The other day, I was randomly thinking about how I can't pinpoint one specific "best day of my life". (Lots of great moments, but nothing that immediately stands above the rest.)

But I assume a lot of people can, and I'd love to hear about it.

So what's been the best day of your life (at least so far)?

[T-Pac]

Editorials Team · Posted

Probably the day my best friend Eddie bailed on me for the all-city 2 on 2 basketball tournament so he could team up with Kenny "The Spider" Jackson.  I was pretty crushed because the winner was gonna get seasons tickets for the Chicago Bulls, and I knew we had a great chance at taking home the championship.  But then at the last minute an elderly lady nicknamed "Grandmama" agreed to help me out.  My neighbor's mother explained that Grandmama was pretty good in her prime, so I took a chance on her and agreed to partner up.  And what do you know?  We won, even though Grandmama injured her knee, forcing me into a dramatic 1v1 showdown against Eddie in the finals.  But even better than the tickets I won?  The lesson in friendship that Eddie and I both won that day.

Wait, that was an episode of Family Matters.

• Love 1
  • Haha 5

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Probably the day my best friend Eddie bailed on me for the all-city 2 on 2 basketball tournament so he could team up with Kenny "The Spider" Jackson.  I was pretty crushed because the winner was gonna get seasons tickets for the Chicago Bulls, and I knew we had a great chance at taking home the championship.  But then at the last minute an elderly lady nicknamed "Grandmama" agreed to help me out.  My neighbor's mother explained that Grandmama was pretty good in her prime, so I took a chance on her and agreed to partner up.  And what do you know?  We won, even though Grandmama injured her knee, forcing me into a dramatic 1v1 showdown against Eddie in the finals.  But even better than the tickets I won?  The lesson in friendship that Eddie and I both won that day.

WTF i was like, family matters?  

Events Helper · Posted
4 hours ago, T-Pac said:

The other day, I was randomly thinking about how I can't pinpoint one specific "best day of my life". (Lots of great moments, but nothing that immediately stands above the rest.)

But I assume a lot of people can, and I'd love to hear about it.

So what's been the best day of your life (at least so far)?

[T-Pac]

I haven't had one yet, @T-Pac but when I do I will let you know 🙂 What is yours?  

For me it was that time when the powers that be on this Earth all became horrendously ill as a consequence of willfully cultivating evil and died lickety-split leaving only good people to take over the reins of power in every country, making peace with each other for the benefit of all.

...Oh wait, that hasn't happened yet.

Good luck, everyone!  🙂 

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Quaze said:

Aw, this is such an interesting thread idea, my hopes were set way too high for honest replies lol.

well-waiting.gif

My real (and boring) answer would be something about my kids being born.

A slightly more interesting answer would be something like us going to the lake as a family for summer vacation and having a perfect long day that you remember forever.

I've had a number of perfect days. One that comes to mind is  Friday, January 31, 1997

It was Senior year. A nice sunny day. At the end of the school day, my group of friends met up in the locker bay and headed out to parking lot where we piled into Ryan's 1988 Cadilac, blasting Firestarter by Prodigy at a deafening volume as we sang along. He drove us back to his house (the usual "hangout" house) and played MarioKart 64 while his mom got dinner ready. Pork roast, peas, mashed potatoes and gravy. After dinner, we headed for Multiplex Cinemas... (it was torn down in 2009 to build an upscale shopping district and luxury condos)

spacer.png

we had tickets for Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope - Special Edition. Seeing it in the theatre for the first time with all my friends was a magical experience.

spacer.png

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1

The most memorable days are my longest days. Staying up all night watching Laserdisc horror movies on Halloween in middle school, not sleeping for a two days straight with gaming, music, and partying with friends at Magfest back when I could physically do that in my 20s 😭, a long day hiking in the middle of nowhere desert turned into a night of games and shows at Vegas. Damn it's all hedonistic entertainment, I should lie and say something more sentimental.

• Love 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:36 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

And Grandmama didn't even want the tickets as she wasn't even a Bulls fan!  For some reason she's nuts about the Charlotte Hornets!  Which kinda I was when I was little but in that case (as well as me liking local-ish Don Mattingly later) I was very much a "player-first" fan (fan of the player and then whatever team he happens to play for) in the sense that I really liked Rex Chapman (local hero; though interestingly I eventually went to his rival's high school!) and just so happened to get some Hornets stuff for Christmas at the time as a result.

And my aunt believe it or not went to Apollo High with Rex!

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Estil said:

And Grandmama didn't even want the tickets as she wasn't even a Bulls fan!  For some reason she's nuts about the Charlotte Hornets!  Which kinda I was when I was little but in that case (as well as me liking local-ish Don Mattingly later) I was very much a "player-first" fan (fan of the player and then whatever team he happens to play for) in the sense that I really liked Rex Chapman (local hero; though interestingly I eventually went to his rival's high school!) and just so happened to get some Hornets stuff for Christmas at the time as a result.

And my aunt believe it or not went to Apollo High with Rex!

When I was a kid I liked the Pittsburgh Penguins in hockey, and the Charlotte Hornets in basketball. Both for the same reason - they had cool logos. I couldn't name a single player on either team. 

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

When I was a kid I liked the Pittsburgh Penguins in hockey, and the Charlotte Hornets in basketball. Both for the same reason - they had cool logos. I couldn't name a single player on either team. 

Could you name any of the married ones? 😄 

• Haha 3

Graphics Team · Posted
17 hours ago, G-type said:

I've had a number of perfect days. One that comes to mind is  Friday, January 31, 1997

It was Senior year. A nice sunny day. At the end of the school day, my group of friends met up in the locker bay and headed out to parking lot where we piled into Ryan's 1988 Cadilac, blasting Firestarter by Prodigy at a deafening volume as we sang along. He drove us back to his house (the usual "hangout" house) and played MarioKart 64 while his mom got dinner ready. Pork roast, peas, mashed potatoes and gravy. After dinner, we headed for Multiplex Cinemas... (it was torn down in 2009 to build an upscale shopping district and luxury condos)

spacer.png

we had tickets for Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope - Special Edition. Seeing it in the theatre for the first time with all my friends was a magical experience.

spacer.png

Heck yeah! This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear about - and I'd agree that sounds like a pretty perfect day, too.

[T-Pac]

Wow, this turned to the Hornets.  Nice!  As one who was living in Charlotte when the transition happened several years ago, it was a really, really BIG deal when the Bobcats left and the Hornets were back.

The Hornets were alright back in the 90s, but what they had was a perfect brand for the era, and that's what I'm hearing. Anyway, transitioning back to the Hornets was a smart move--though the team still sucked, people around here actually started liking them again and paying to go to games.  It's interesting how a simple name and brand change, which has no bearing on performance, can change a lot.

And back to the topic...

I have no clue what the answer is.  I want it to be my wedding day because even near-19 years later, I'm still deeply in love with my wife and we're best friends.  But... our wedding day was tough.  We had a wedding in a medal building in the middle of summer in Georgia.  The venue wasn't use to having events, and a "nice" volunteer came in the night and cut on the AC early and CRANKED it.  Bad move... yes, the intent was nice but the AC ended up freezing over and cut off around 9:00 AM, which meant the entire time my bride was getting ready, though the entire service AND the reception at the same place, the temperature inside was pushing 100 degrees!

We had one of the fastest weddings you've ever seen.  My wife really regrets this, but considering we didn't plan to be needing to pass out water bottles by the gallons, we didn't have a choice.  We had a typical service and after that the reception was literally, get everything done as fast as you could.  We had little time to meet with everyone and it was rough.

All weddings have their issues.  It just so happened that ours caused us to have have an entire service + reception in about 2.5 hours.  After the wedding, though, we went and stayed the night in Atlanta to fly out bright and early to Disney World for our honeymoon.  Yes, we were that couple and I have zero-regrets.  It was loads of fun being an adult there and the whole trip is a happier memory, though I can't pin one specific day. We were there for 3 Nights/4 Days and then flew out to Denver to drive up in the mountains to a town called Crested Butte in the middle of the Rockies. That too was an amazing experience.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1