IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Burai Fighter

BeaIank

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I probably would have done more runs on this but dying once and then having to enter the password again every time is a super drag  

Use a yardstick to hit reset.

It's not so bad.  🙂 

Is this game crazy hard for anyone else? It's a cool game, but I only made it out of level 4 like maybe three or four times this week. One of the main issues is getting trapped by that stupid boss.

Edited by mbd39

32 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Is this game crazy hard for anyone else? It's a cool game, but I only made it out of level 4 like maybe three or four times this week. One of the main issues is getting trapped by that stupid boss.

Yeah, it is really hard and it took me many tries to even beat level 4 reliably and even then some runs just failed. Level 5 was the biggest obstacle for me since some parts are really just giant instant death traps with a bit of randonmess mixed in there. However, the game is fun enough, imho, that I kept trying.

4 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Yeah, it is really hard and it took me many tries to even beat level 4 reliably and even then some runs just failed. Level 5 was the biggest obstacle for me since some parts are really just giant instant death traps with a bit of randonmess mixed in there. However, the game is fun enough, imho, that I kept trying.

I thought maybe you had a lot of prior experience with this game. I can't imagine reaching the final boss in one life.

This is one of those games that I want to beat casually now. It's pretty good.

Hard game for sure, but really cool.  I love the level 4 music.  It's very unforgiving of error.  The worst thing in my opinion is that it seems to have more "invisible bullets" than any other shooter I've ever played.  In other words, it has a lot of: "What the heck even got me?!" moments.  That and bullets that seem to appear right after shooting an enemy, which if the enemy was close is a likely quick death.  Love scrolling in 4 directions though and shooting  in eight..

4 hours ago, PII said:

Love scrolling in 4 directions though and shooting  in eight..

Curious what you and @Gaia Gensouki did for upgrade strategies. I was choosing all Rs, but only playing a couple days, I didnt mess around with all the letter and upgrade them each to see which is best in the end. When I went to check video for level 4 boss strat, the youtuber was going all Ls, but thats a sample size of 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Curious what you and @Gaia Gensouki did for upgrade strategies. I was choosing all Rs, but only playing a couple days, I didnt mess around with all the letter and upgrade them each to see which is best in the end. When I went to check video for level 4 boss strat, the youtuber was going all Ls, but thats a sample size of 1

not that it matters, but all l's is the way to go imo, and a playthrough i watched lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Level 4: L

Level 5: R to hit enemies beyond the walls and L at the end for the boss.

Level 6: L

Level 7: L for the levels itself and R for the boss. With the lasers it takes way too long to beat the boss.

It's also important to max out your weapons as quickly as possible and to get your energy bar almost to full at the end of the fourth level. It comes in handy at times during the other levels.

After man unsuccessful attempts at the level 4 boss I realized that the easiest way to defeat it was to use the laser and to fly right below him. For some reason he stops shooting at you when you're constantly hitting him. Plus, he's dead before he can even move.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Basically I tried to level up Lasers and Rings as much as possible while relying primarily on Lasers since they can take out everything in their path unlike a traditional projectile.  By the time I got to the base stage (overhead stage) I had 8 Rings so picked up a couple more real quick so that I could shoot through the walls.  And then relied on lasers for the final stage including the final boss.  For stage 1 boss I did the same as Gensouki by going right under it with the laser.  Right before you get to him there're a couple of floating platforms that need to be dropped, the second of which is really low so you've just gotta barely get under it and then get out of the way for it to fall before zipping in to take out the boss.  2nd level boss was probably the most annoying.  It's kinda easy to get cornered if you're not careful.  And boy that final boss can be a long fight.  Main thing is to make sure you don't linger too close to him for too long or he'll bump ya and it's all over.

Bir-aye sounds about right.

...like Bür-eye.. 

It was a shooter week for me.  I did this, shot a couple of really great games of pool last night with a buddy and shot golf Sunday afternoon.  The shot of the day was on the last hole.  My drive went into a ravine that had a long tarp laid out in it that was held down with rocks on each side about every few feet and my ball hit one of those rocks and bounced really high to land on the green!

...And nice score @Gaia Gensouki, 700K is badass!

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Time is short these days and most of my games are packed in preparation for a big move, but I'll throw down participation scores when I can...

So weird to see you putting up a participation score on a shooter  🙃

• The topic was unpinned