IGNORED

New PS1 Fakes from China?

Just saw this --

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395263040237

Screenshot-from-2024-03-13-15-42-57.png

I have not seen these before, but of course this stinks. Now diluting actual games with Chinese fakes... wonder when the floodgates open just like that shithead did with the TG16 -- PCEWorks. I have no problem with reproductions, so long as it's obvious they are reproductions. Clearly, not the case here.

So wait, have they actually cracked the CD security on the PS1?!

Yes, this is more Chinese crap but maybe these means there will be a way to make easy game copies to play back-ups, rather than $100+ disc games! 

Persona for the P Station, huh?

Yea this is upsetting, but it was just a matter of time.  Thankfully, the bootleggers don't display the word PlayStation on the manual or use the PS logo on the disc.  I'm sure that, ahem, kindness won't last long though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted

This brings a whole new dimension to the argument!

If I remember correctly, the rationale behind the proponents of "P" was that PlayStation is a single word - so only the first letter should be represented in the acronym. But now that these bootlegs are branding themselves "P Station", we're back to "PS" - one letter to abbreviate each word.

Still doesn't solve the "X" versus "1" problem, though...

[T-Pac]

27 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

This brings a whole new dimension to the argument!

If I remember correctly, the rationale behind the proponents of "P" was that PlayStation is a single word - so only the first letter should be represented in the acronym. But now that these bootlegs are branding themselves "P Station", we're back to "PS" - one letter to abbreviate each word.

Still doesn't solve the "X" versus "1" problem, though...

[T-Pac]

The “1” only ever appeared post PS2 obviously and it is now convenient shorthand to identify the original iteration amongst its successors.  However, when considering historical precedent….it’s friggin PSX.

• Agree 3

All these people trying to rewrite history—it’s the PSX.  I don’t care if SONY released a PS2 branded a “PSX”, it doesn’t change the fact that for near 8 years before, the PlayStation was also called the PSX!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

Whether someone says PS1 or PSX I know what they are talking about so it doesn't matter.  I personally prefer PS1 and call the systems PS1, PS2, PS3, etc. and I don't care if anyone disagrees because it's not a big deal and it's just how I refer to the console, not an official declaration of nomenclature. 

Anyway, back on topic, I'm just glad that at least these are pretty obvious fakes, which will be helpful for people distinguishing them from legitimate releases (for now).

On 3/13/2024 at 2:02 PM, RH said:

So wait, have they actually cracked the CD security on the PS1?!

Yes, this is more Chinese crap but maybe these means there will be a way to make easy game copies to play back-ups, rather than $100+ disc games! 

This would be huge for the PS1 homebrew scene. I might actually try and make a PS1 homebrew.

I'm sad this thread devolved into how do you abbreviate Playstation, because if this is true, then this has far wider implications than shitty Chinese piracy. 

1 hour ago, DarkKobold said:

This would be huge for the PS1 homebrew scene. I might actually try and make a PS1 homebrew.

I'm sad this thread devolved into how do you abbreviate Playstation, because if this is true, then this has far wider implications than shitty Chinese piracy. 

Looking at the eBay post again, and it sounds like it’s implying that you need a modded PS1 to play burnt CDs.

Yeah, if someone cracked the security and/or made a CD burner and discs that could work with it, that’s be amazing. I can’t recall exactly how the security on it worked though.  It might not be crackable.

16 hours ago, RH said:

Looking at the eBay post again, and it sounds like it’s implying that you need a modded PS1 to play burnt CDs.

Yeah, if someone cracked the security and/or made a CD burner and discs that could work with it, that’s be amazing. I can’t recall exactly how the security on it worked though.  It might not be crackable.

https://wololo.net/2012/12/10/how-ps1-security-works/

I believe it's less about cracking, and more about finding a pressing facility that will work with you to put these things on a disc that can't be done by CD burning. You'd need a pretty competent facility, but these are things that could be, in theory, added to a glass master before a pressing. The wobble track on the Sega Saturn is the same - you'd just need some company willing to go the extra mile when they create your disc. Seeing as homebrew is a niche part of a niche hobby, this is going to be a difficult to sell this project to a company with these skills. 

AFAIK, there's 10s to 100s of pressing facilities, but no one has yet to reach out to pressing facilities to figure out if they'd press PS1 or Saturn games. It's a ton of leg work to get a bunch of rejections, asking if you're committing piracy, etc.