• Badfinger - Come and Get it
    • Klaatu - Sub Rosa Subway
    • Cheap Trick - If You want my love
    • Oasis - Wonderwall
    • Nirvana - In Bloom
    • Harry Nilsson - Gotta Get Up
    • The Byrds - Don't Be Long
    • The Knickerbockers - Lies
    • Squeeze - Pulling Mussells (from a shell)

Tough call.

I'm torn between ELO (which is probably what the Beatles would have sounded like if they stayed together into the 70s), Sub-Rosa (which is definitely Beatle-ly circa Magical Mystery Tour), and The Knickerbockers (Ed Sullivan/first US tour era.)

Nirvana has too much grind, and most of the others (Byrds, Cheap Trick) I think have their own sound that sets them apart from the Fab Four.

I know McCartney wrote Come and Get It, but it sounds more early McCartney solo than Beatles.

Everyone compares Oasis to the Beatles, but I never saw that. They actually struck me as being closer to some of the folk rock acts.

Edited by Tulpa

badfinger is the only one that has all the elements to be clone, just having local harmonies like some of the other ones isn't enough

I'm pretty sure the Knickerbockers was the inspiration for "That Thing You Do"

voted Knickerbockers, although Badfinger is a close 2nd. 

i know technically this is McCartney & Wings, but you missed a perfect opportunity to post this song from the Role Models soundtrack:

"Are you sure that isn't Wings?"
"no, it's Not Wings"

Events Team · Posted

Don't think I didn't notice the glaring omission of The Monkees from this list.  But I'll admit, The Beatles probably sound more like The Monkees than vice versa.

Hence, I went with The Knickerbockers as a prime example of the bug music era.

Oh something I know a bit about!  Kurt has said that he wrote "About A Girl" after listening to his favorite Beatles record, which i think is either Beatles '65 for Beatles 6, but I don't think that, or anything else Kurt wrote sounds like a Beatles song.  Interestingly, I'm a major Nirvana fan and have been in the community for 25 years, and the community was amazed when we heard Kurts cover of "And I Love Her" which we had no idea that existed.

Also someone did mention that "Come and Get It" is a Paul song, which to me is the most Beatlesy' for obvious reasons on that list.  Some of the others sound more like "Post" Beatles songs to me, so its but the only one I can really hear the band playing at the time would be the Cheap Trick one.  It has the normal kinda Beatles harmony to it.

"Lies" is also a really good one but they're obviously VERY much 'ripping off' the style for the time that the Beatles created in the early 60s.  I think "That Thing You Do" tho is probably the closest IMO of all of them.  When I first heard it, it sounded to me like someone did a LOT of Beatles homework to take their harmonic style, and blend it with the look/sound for that time.

Edited by guitarzombie

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

it sounded to me like someone did a LOT of Beatles homework to take their harmonic style, and blend it with the look/sound for that time.

It was written by Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne, (RIP... one of the first  celebrities to be killed by Covid)