IGNORED

What's your palette?

Link

which palette swap do you wear?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. which palette swap do you wear?

Wow such a simple but personally conflicting question.  I could probably show 10 different games with color skinning/theming/pallet options and you’d see 12 different styles! And yes, sometimes I conscientiously choose to keep it as default. I have zero cohesion in this manner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

It really depends on what level of customization is available, but generally speaking, when that kind of customization is an option, I tend to go all black, at least as gray/grayish as possible, or sometimes black with a color accent (like in Assassin's Creed Unity, in which I always tried to go for a black w/ gold accents aesthetic.)

17ada4fe60d466499ffd4661139a3459.png

That game has TOOONS of customization options, which I really liked. Wish more games gave you that level of customization.

But, if that's not an option, then what I do kind of just depends on what options are available. Sometimes I might go all white instead, sometimes I'll try to go for an aesthetic that I feel matches the game's setting and isn't too out of place, sometimes I'll do super bright, flashy, flamboyant colors, or sometimes I'll just maintain the default look. Like I said, it depends.

If certain customization options are locked behind difficult achievements or unlocks, a lot of the time I'll use those as well, even if I prefer a different aesthetic, just due to the fact that it's very satisfying to be using something you worked hard for to unlock.

I'm playing through Tears of the Kingdom right now, and same as Breath of the Wild, whenever I get a new set of armor I always dye it black (other than the classic green Link outfit, since it would be a crime to do anything other than retain the original green on that.)

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

@Link, what kind of palettes do you tend to lean towards? Feel like you can't ask a question like that without answering it yourself, haha. I also kinda wish you selected the option to allow everyone to see who voted for what when you made the poll, I want to see what kinds of palettes everyone likes!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

@Link, what kind of palettes do you tend to lean towards? Feel like you can't ask a question like that without answering it yourself, haha. I also kinda wish you selected the option to allow everyone to see who voted for what when you made the poll, I want to see what kinds of palettes everyone likes!

Spoiler

I didn't wanna be the first vote and affect any choices, is all. I meant to make the poll results public and also multiple choice. Have done so now. I had to think about how to word the OP and it took me all day to find a satisfactory way, which I did after going to a show and getting drunk and having a nice long bike ride home.

I've noticed that I definitely prefer the first, base, default design. That was the impetus for this thread. I feel like there's a reason behind the original color scheme, and its usually better than any alt option.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

This is a tough one cause for me it really depends on the game and the aesthetic.  I find myself keeping the original look in most cases, but then sometimes I will swap if there is an aesthetic that I just really like or I feel fits the person or the theme well.  I don't think I do the same thing in all instances - it is very game specific and even character specific.  Like, it sounds silly, but if there is an option that I don't feel fits that character's personality, sometimes I won't use it hahah.

This is interesting to reflect, as I like art but I never really cared about the color to choose in the player design. In fact I can barely remember a game in which I choose a color other than the original one! The only example I can think of is choosing between the red Ken (original SF2) or purple/yellow Ken (revised editions), in which I liked choosing random colors.