IGNORED

Why's this Myriad 6 in 1 going so high?

wyansas

Because Pricecharting isn't the be-all-and-end-all of prices on one of a kind items.  These don't often turn up for sale, especially at an open auction.  It's actually only going for about half of what I paid for my copy a couple years ago via private sale, so it's actually a pretty good price IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wyansas said:

i understand PC's not the be all end all, but usually you cut PC in half or shave off a third, not double it. thanks for the info though.

Usually Pricecharting has sales data from more recently than 2017 (the last loose carts sold according to PC) in order to gauge the price.  Their CIB price is just under $1650, but the manual alone sold for $1500 in 2021.  Do you think the manual holds 91% of the value?  Or that the price has somehow stagnated over the last 7 years?

Also, I misspoke.  I bought it for about $5K Canadian.  I'd have to confirm, but I believe the actual amount I paid was $4000.  So it's a bit over half, not under.  I technically bought in USD, but since I had to mentally equate it to Canadian to budget for it, hence why that number was in my head.

EDIT: Also, shaving prices tends to happen on common items.  Nobody discounts legitimate rarities unless they're trying to get fast money.  The common shit takes forever to sell when you want full retail for it, hence people discounting PC prices.

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's actually only going for about half of what I paid for my copy a couple years ago via private sale, so it's actually a pretty good price IMO.

Currently (9h45m remaining). Let's see how much it goes up with last minute snipes. Maybe your comp will significantly improve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wyansas said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176208505579

It's already double Pricecharting.  Anybody know what makes this copy special?

According to the description:

This ultra-rare Nintendo NES Myriad Six in One cartridge is a must-have for any collector. With six classic games...

That's gotta be the reason.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Link said:

Currently (9h45m remaining). Let's see how much it goes up with last minute snipes. Maybe your comp will significantly improve. 

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me if it does.  I dropped about $1000 more than I likely could've got because I needed time to get the funds, and wanted to make sure I didn't get undercut.  I have zero intention of ever selling it, so the cost was irrelevant to me.  That said, it'd be nice to have a recent example of an open auction in the sales history.

• Agree 3

I mean those sale prices are getting close to a decade old at this point, what would you expect.  I don't even follow this cart and $2k+ for a rarity that is argubly one of the system's "grails" is nothing but fair game.  You don't get get rares at half of 2017 prices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It's also one of those games. If two people with deep pockets feel they need to own it, the sky is the limit.  Pricecharting is actually valuable for one purpose here - it shows that there hasn't been one available for ~7 years on eBay. Someone with money but without contacts to find rare stuff is gonna bid through the roof on this, because this might be their last chance this decade. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DarkKobold said:

It's also one of those games. If two people with deep pockets feel they need to own it, the sky is the limit.  Pricecharting is actually valuable for one purpose here - it shows that there hasn't been one available for ~7 years on eBay. Someone with money but without contacts to find rare stuff is gonna bid through the roof on this, because this might be their last chance this decade. 

So this legit has not been on eBay in 7 years? Is that info accurate?  If so, crazy!

Also, if true, how could somebody think it appropriate to use the term “rare” for both this and, let’s say, little Samson.  They obviously are worlds apart in terms of availability.

8 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

So this legit has not been on eBay in 7 years? Is that info accurate?  If so, crazy!

Also, if true, how could somebody think it appropriate to use the term “rare” for both this and, let’s say, little Samson.  They obviously are worlds apart in terms of availability.

It hasn't sold on eBay in 7 years. It's possible that it's been listed in that span, though I hadn't seen anything other than a damaged box for a few years before buying my copy.

To the second point, Little Samson is certainly rare, but there's a difference between a rarity and a grail item.  You're comparing the difference between a Wayne Gretzky rookie card and a Georges Vezina rookie card, or between Incredible Hulk #180 and Fantastic 4 #1. The former is highly sought after, but easily obtainable for anyone who has the funds.  The other is also sought after, but having the money to buy it doesn't ensure being able to find one for sale, because so few actually exist.

51 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

The answer here is pretty obvious: sellers put "rare" in their listings to increase attention/price/interest. It's marketing fluff to try to increase the perceived value of their goods, not an objective measure of the relative rarity of any item compared to all other carts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Khromak said:

The answer here is pretty obvious: sellers put "rare" in their listings to increase attention/price/interest. It's marketing fluff to try to increase the perceived value of their goods, not an objective measure of the relative rarity of any item compared to all other carts.

I remember when I first started using eBay in the early 2000s, everything was listed as "rare."  It was to the point that any buyer with half a brain figured out not to consider the word at all.  It took years, but it seems a lot of sellers have figured that out and dropped it from most descriptions.  Either that or I have learned to completely disregard the word while looking at eBay.  Either would make perfect sense 😛

To the point he was making though, I would argue that Little Samson is indeed objectively rare.  Outside of the local shop that has been actively bringing them in over the  course of the last few years, I've only actually seen one copy while out and about - the one I own.  Granted, that's one man's experience, but that experience spanned over 20 years of actively scouring the local haunts, closing out video stores, picking through garage sales, etc.  The only ones I've seen less (outside of a few personal collections) are Flintstones 2, Cheetahmen 2, Myriad, and Stadium Events.  To the point, anything that would generally be considered an R8 or above I would consider "rare," and many would even consider R7s to share that distinction, though I feel they're borderline at best.  Something can still be "rare" even if something else is objectively more rare.  Going back to my prior examples,  Incredible Hulk #180 is still a rare comic, even if it's not as rare as Fantastic Four #1.  Acquiring Wayne Gretzky's rookie card is still a fine centerpiece for someone's card collection, even if it doesn't take a lifetime to acquire like landing Georges Vezina's rookie card would.  Both are rare, just one is rarer.  That's it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I’m not specifically referring to eBay listings but just the general conversations of, “check out my uber rare little Samson I own!”

36 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

I’m not specifically referring to eBay listings but just the general conversations of, “check out my uber rare little Samson I own!”

See my posts.  It's definitely rare.  Just not as rare.  I actually have rarer things than Myriad in my collection, but it doesn't make Myriad less rare either.

3 hours ago, final fight cd said:

People also call Earthbound rare or "RAR3 OMG L@@K!!" 

There's no accounting for taste. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:46 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't go higher.  Though the number of idiots people who pretend unlicensed games don't exist would explain that.

Hey now,

It would have gone much higher had I bid at the end, but I'm on the hunt for a CIB (or CB to go with my shitty loose manual)

Also, unlicensed hasn't "mattered" since like, 2015 for some reason...and this is coming from the dude who might be the worlds second most biggest Sachen fan.

• Haha 2

On 2/2/2024 at 5:03 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me if it does.  I dropped about $1000 more than I likely could've got because I needed time to get the funds, and wanted to make sure I didn't get undercut.  I have zero intention of ever selling it, so the cost was irrelevant to me.  

I knew exactly what you meant, and I have similar feelings about all my stuff too. My point was that its nice to already have something that would be hard to get now if you didn't. 

On 2/2/2024 at 2:46 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't go higher.  Though the number of idiots people who pretend unlicensed games don't exist would explain that.

I don't know, the fact that this is literally just a sticker over the Caltron 6-in-1 label makes it a variant more than part of the set. It's an interesting part of NES history, but if you have Caltron 6-in-1 in your collection, having this adds nothing other than a trophy to the collection.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1