IGNORED

Head's Up!

DarkTone

I love Ocarina of time, but I always hated how they put those giant buttons at the top of the screen that are ridiculously oversized for how big they actually needed to be, and then it gets even worse when you ride the horse and those enormous carrots show up... it's like, is there a way to make riding a horse in a video game look any less cool?  Do I need a reminder that Zelda games are for little kids too?  Do the developers think we're half blind?  Wtf is up with that shit?!?

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

The Doom HUD is pretty iconic and was well thought out for the time even though about half of it was unnecessary.  

Roblox has a pretty awful HUD.  I don't play it myself, but when I watch my kids playing, I wonder how it doesn't drive them crazy.  

Edited by TDIRunner

So my brother in law is super into World of Warcraft. He showed me his setup one time and I swear his screen looked pretty close to this screenshot I found online

wowow.jpg.a8e2aae74b9d392bab8ab9c21d0f1efc.jpg

Apparently, the layout is customizable, but good Lord Almighty that's a lot of shit to try and make sense out of.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

So my brother in law is super into World of Warcraft. He showed me his setup one time and I swear his screen looked pretty close to this screenshot I found online

wowow.jpg.a8e2aae74b9d392bab8ab9c21d0f1efc.jpg

Apparently, the layout is customizable, but good Lord Almighty that's a lot of shit to try and make sense out of.

Beyond being customizable, you can install plugins. This screenshot  has gone a bit overboard with regard to doubling up on displaying the same information more than once.

That said, it's not far off from the reality I remember while raiding on WoW.

I think the Halo games and Metroid Prime games both do a good job of integrating the HUD into the gameworld, seeing as in both games you are wearing a helmet and looking through a visor. It feels natural to have a bunch of info on screen in that context.

I also remember one of the most talked about innovations of Donkey Kong Country when it came out was the fact that it hides your banana and life count as you play, only showing when the number changes one way or another. There were few SNES platformers at that time which weren't cluttered with HUD chaff, so that was just another element that made DKC stand above the crowd and seem like something totally fresh.