IGNORED

PS2 output to HDMI options?

greenthunder

Apologies for the stupid question, home consoles are not my specialty and I figure VGS would have good recommendations. I'm thinking of picking up a new computer monitor and I might borrow my friend's PS2, so I'm looking into what my options are for PS2 (component?) output to HDMI. Bonus points if it can deal with Wiis as well. Price wise, I'm thinking something on the cheaper side which I know limits my options quality/fancy upscaling wise. At that point, do I just go for whatever component to HDMI I feel like picking up?

During COVID, I got a cheap converter off of Amazon and played tons of PS2 games on my HD TV. I'm sure the quality is not perfect, but for the price it has worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Amtake-Composite-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B07MJTR9KS/ref=sr_1_8?crid=LQKS3ZXNLD6W&keywords=ps2+to+hd&qid=1704910753&sprefix=ps2+to+h%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-8

If you want the best, both the PS2 and Wii have internal mods that can be installed that will give them native HDMI output.  If you just want a converter box, you can't beat a retrotink.  Both the Wii and PS2 can output component video. 

• Agree 1

Definitely go with Retrotink. Any model is good - the more expensive ones will be able to handle better image quality, but the cheapest model still does the job without any of the drawbacks of the cheap converters.

Those cheap converters like CT linked do the job (and they are the exact same as those "Retrovision" etc. cables that are marketed like they are for video games, and literally designed to plug into a console), but they are absolutely not ideal for video games.
While it's true that the image quality isn't the best, they also have a massive amount of lag. If you're gonna play Final Fantasy it's probably fine - if you're playing an action game it's straight up awful. 🙂 They are designed to watch movies etc. where that doesn't matter at all.

So basically it's a question of how much do you care about the experience, and how much do you just want the quick jolt of seeing a game on your screen. And of course how much can you spend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Use a PlayStation 3, I got one from a flea market for $10.

That's sort of like a lottery winner telling others to play the lottery to become rich.  Just because it happened to one person, doesn't mean it isn't extremely unlikely to happen.  A PS3 that can play PS2 and is in fully working condition is extremely uncommon.  Also, finding one in fully working condition for a reasonable price is even less likely.  I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, but the PS3 is not an ideal suggestion for someone wanting to play PS2 through HDMI.   

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

That's sort of like a lottery winner telling others to play the lottery to become rich.  Just because it happened to one person, doesn't mean it isn't extremely unlikely to happen.  A PS3 that can play PS2 and is in fully working condition is extremely uncommon.  Also, finding one in fully working condition for a reasonable price is even less likely.  I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, but the PS3 is not an ideal suggestion for someone wanting to play PS2 through HDMI.   

Really? I got one at a thrift store for $12 and another at a flea market for $10. I thought they were just everywhere like Wiis. What about a PlayStation 4, do they play PlayStation 2 games?

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Code Monkey said:

Really? I got one at a thrift store for $12 and another at a flea market for $10. I thought they were just everywhere like Wiis. What about a PlayStation 4, do they play PlayStation 2 games?

Launch ps3 was the only console after ps2 to play ps2 discs. 

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

They launched with a feature and then removed it? That seems shady, people kept giving them money after that? Were they cheaper?

Yeah, for reasons I've gotten to in the past and I'm not feeling to dredge up now, a looooong time ago I made the decision to never by a Sony product new, from a retailer.  I was excited about the PS3 and intended to get one after a few years... but they pulled that PS2 backwards compatibility feature really quickly and then finding was wasn't easy, even when it was new.  As time went on, they've proven to be unreliable models too, so a working launch-model is actually worth quite a few bucks, compared to a standard model.

Gloves is right--finding a launch model at a thrift shop for $10 is like hitting the lottery.  Not to the degree of finding a Stadium Events, but those things are super-desirable and very hard to come by "in the wild".

Even barring the fact backwards compat PS3s are rare, picking one up would be out of the question for me seeing as I'm only borrowing my friend's PS2.

I'm looking into Retrotink but it seems even their cheaper stuff is out of budget for me. Do they have older revisions floating around or am I looking in the wrong place?

19 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Are both of those models capable of playing PS2 discs?  If they are, and they are working properly, they are worth considerably more than what you paid for them.  However, based on your other recent posts, I'm thinking you weren't aware of the differences in the many versions of the PS3.  So I'm just going to guess that you didn't find any models capable of playing PS2 discs.  Fortunately, those are still good deals for any model of PS3 assuming it works properly.  

I keep mentioning "if it works properly" because that generation of gaming consoles (specifically PS3 and 360) was arguably the least reliable generation of gaming consoles of all time.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Are both of those models capable of playing PS2 discs?  If they are, and they are working properly, they are worth considerably more than what you paid for them.  However, based on your other recent posts, I'm thinking you weren't aware of the differences in the many versions of the PS3.  So I'm just going to guess that you didn't find any models capable of playing PS2 discs.  Fortunately, those are still good deals for any model of PS3 assuming it works properly.  

I keep mentioning "if it works properly" because that generation of gaming consoles (specifically PS3 and 360) was arguably the least reliable generation of gaming consoles of all time.  

I've only ever played Silent Hill: Homecoming so I do not know. However I'm told there is some difference with 2 and 4 USB ports on the front and mine both have 2. So probably not.

9 minutes ago, greenthunder said:

Even barring the fact backwards compat PS3s are rare, picking one up would be out of the question for me seeing as I'm only borrowing my friend's PS2.

I'm looking into Retrotink but it seems even their cheaper stuff is out of budget for me. Do they have older revisions floating around or am I looking in the wrong place?

Sorry, I shouldn't be taking over your thread. Those are quite expensive, I was surprised someone suggested it. I would suggest the component output cables with a PlayStation 2, they will play in 1080i but that won't hook up to your monitor so it doesn't really help. The only solution here is either component to HDMI converters or some sort of screen that accepts a component input.

Administrator · Posted
44 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

They launched with a feature and then removed it? That seems shady, people kept giving them money after that? Were they cheaper?

They were marginally cheaper, yes (if I recall, which I believe I do). They also launched with Linux built in, which was also removed in the first (or near it) revision. If you really wanna have fun, get a PS3 Test Kit - they play PS1, 2, and 3 games from all regions without issue, and they don't care if the disc is official or not; you could burn PS1 and 2 games onto discs and play it on a PS3 test kit.

And of course people kept giving them money after that lol, it's PlayStation. There was an enormous player base from the PS1 and 2, and Sony's consoles didn't suffer from the "Red Ring of Death". Also exclusives, and a myriad of other reasons. Beyond that, people wanted a cheaper machine at the time. It's not anyone's favourite downgrade in history, certainly - they moved from hardware support of PS2 games to software emulation only and yeah that irked people. But most people were busy playing their shiny new PS3 games; the difference in fidelity was enough that even to me it felt odd playing PS2 on PS3.

10 hours ago, Sumez said:

they also have a massive amount of lag

For what it's worth, I played many seasons of Fifa/PES, beat GTA San Andreas, Shadow of the Colossus etc. using the cheap Amazon converter. Your mileage may vary.

I use the hyperkin hdmi cable. I requires a usb power source. Also, it does not display dvd video discs with the correct colors. I hear there is a dvd you can load up prior  to playing dvds to make it display properly.

Be careful because the hyperkin Gamecube hdmi cables don’t work with the PAL gamecube. I got a PAL Gamecube for the RGB output because I can’t afford the stupid expensive digital video cables

On 1/11/2024 at 2:38 PM, Code Monkey said:

See also: Wiis that can play GameCube games

On 1/11/2024 at 3:38 PM, Code Monkey said:

7 hours ago, Link said:

See also: Wiis that can play GameCube games

The Wii situation was a little different. There were two types of backward compatible PS3s. The first was the hardware compatible version. It essentially had PS2 hardware inside of it. You’ll notice they have the flap on the front that opens up for the ps2 memory card slot.

The second wave of PS3s did away with the PS2 hardware, but it had a software emulator built in that allowed you to play PS2 games. At some point, they disabled the PS2 emulator via a software update. So a lot of people were pissed because they could play PS2 games on their PS3 and then one day after an update they couldn’t.

The ones with PS2 hardware were unaffected by the update

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:38 PM, Code Monkey said:

They launched with a feature and then removed it? That seems shady, people kept giving them money after that?

90%+ of the PS userbase just want the latest stuff and don't give a shit about backwards compatibility.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

90%+ of the PS userbase just want the latest stuff and don't give a shit about backwards compatibility.

It's about supporting a business practice. A business will often use quantities of customer support requests regarding updates as a KPI to determine their effectiveness. If you don't complain, the company doesn't care.