IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Announcement and planning thread

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome, welcome and happy new year, gamers!

Once more @guillavoie and I will have the honour to host the VGS NES Weekly Contest.
Planning for it has commenced and we are working on a preliminary list of games. And we want your input and suggestion for that list!

We will keep the main format from 2023 with 4 rounds instead of 5 and focusing on rules that allow for fast runs so one can fit it in their schedule.

The tournament may not come back, though. I am considering having a FINAL round instead, with each week being worth double points that would sort of work as a tournament round. But this isn't set in stone yet and your feedback about this matter is quite important. I am considering having speedrun rules for this one, or even just requesting video instead of pictures for those final games, but that the rules will try to accommodate 10 to 15 minutes of gameplay top to facilitate the video recording.

Waiting to hear from you all and see what you will bring to the table during the 2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest!

~Bea

• Like 2
  • Love 2

My initial thought is bring the tourney back. This year it didn't land like usual, but most years it does. And we can always tweak the time we do it and format, etc. I am an old sentimental sap, but some of my best memories of this contest are playing the black box games the year we did that (especially golf and soccer) and playing alien syndrome over thanksgiving week with my brother stupidly late at night. I can see why spirits may be down on the tourney after this year, and I take some blame dropping off. But I'm a big believer in not scrapping it. Maybe even shorten the season a little if you don't want it to fall in the holiday scene with thanksgiving or christmas

Edit: Forget shortening the season, we could always start it earlier. Also, alien syndrome freaking rocks. I am going to revisit that one in the very near future. Great example of a classic I never played until this contest gave me the nudge. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to see bomberman 2 in the mix. I know it's a tough one for the cart only players to get ahold of but I think it would be *cough cough *....a blast. 

Darkwing duck! Little Nemo! Adventures of Lolo!

I feel like a few more simpler titles might bring more players into the gold. Even though the elites will ultimately obliterate the rest of us. The more leisurely titles do bring a more enjoyable experience in my opinion.

Also I've had some set backs getting prizes out to everyone but you'll all be getting messages from me in the upcoming weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I made a list of games, wasn't trying to keep track and it just happened to turn out 24 games long, so per my usual shtick, here's 24 suggestions for 2024!

Back To The Future (high or low score.  High would probably be more fun/faster, emphasizing use of the skateboard.)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (High Score w/timed levels and lots of stuff hidden or otherwise to collect.)

Burai Fighter

Dudes With Attitude

CastleVania III

California Games

Cool World (Last level only speed run)

Eliminator Boat Duel

Fire N' Ice

Galaxy 5000 (Middle 3 and or last 2 courses)

Kabuki Quantum Fighter (Speedrun or high score)

Loopz

Mighty Bomb Jack (Palace Rooms Only Run For High Score)

Pyramid

Qix

R.C. Pro-Am

Skate or Die

Snake Rattle N' Roll

Snow Bros.

Street Fighter 2010

Super Off Road

Super Spy Hunter

Trolls On Treasure Island

Ultimate Air Combat

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@PII California Games would need some specific rules in place because there are easy exploits that can be used without any way to know about it.  Like how BMX can be point pressed from basically a stationary position.  Also, some of the events, like the Frisbee, don't really have much room to improve on the defaults.  I would say limiting it to one or two events that are feasible and not easy to exploit would be the best way to use it.  Great suggestions overall though.  Some of those games I would despise playing, but others are definitely good choices for variety.

Also gonna throw in my annual push to see The Punisher again cuz it's a personal favourite.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted

Thanks for the input so far.

Guil and I will take a look at it and see how we can make it work. Even broken games like California Games may be doable if we stick to fast and furious rules (ie, making one or two events only).

And I think it is time for us to do Punisher again, yes. Bomberman 2 would be amazing.

• Love 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:43 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

California Games would need some specific rules in place because there are easy exploits that can be used without any way to know about it.  Like how BMX can be point pressed from basically a stationary position.  Also, some of the events, like the Frisbee, don't really have much room to improve on the defaults.  I would say limiting it to one or two events that are feasible and not easy to exploit would be the best way to use it.

I'm actually not well versed in it.  I was playing C.G. late last year for a bit and enjoying it.  Sounds like you'd know how to handle it though....

4 hours ago, PII said:

I'm actually not well versed in it.  I was playing C.G. late last year for a bit and enjoying it.  Sounds like you'd know how to handle it though....

I just played it for the NES Completions thread a couple weeks back, so it was fresh in my mind.  I was actively trying to beat it.  The frisbee took me longer than any of the events to break the score because there really isn't much leeway for it.  And finding out about the BMX exploit meant I could just rack up points until I fucked up my rhythm, which was good for completing it, but bad for competitions.  I don't think there's any way to really cheese hackey sack though, and I think the skateboard event could be fun (but was done better in Skate or Die).  Surfing might be feasible too, but it isn't terribly fun to do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

Adopting rule sets to keep runs in the 10-15 minute range was a good idea for simple games like donkey Kong, excitebike and other games with similar gameplay but it takes away from the experience and competition of other games like guardian legend. Some games you have to run the whole thing.

Agree. 1943 is another one that deserves to be played to completion or as far as you can go. I'm glad we had normal rules for it last year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i fractured my left elbow slipping on dog pee so hopefully it will heal in time to play, if not i cant play for a few months

edit: actually i can still move my thumb just fine so maybe its okay

Edited by mbd39
  • Wow! 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

i fractured my left elbow slipping on dog pee so hopefully it will heal in time to play, if not i cant play for a few months

Hot water bath with Rosemary oil is good for accelerated internal wound healing.  Just don't use too much.  A few to several drops at most in a bathtub, or make a smaller combo in a smaller container.  Also make sure its not just a fragrance but the real oil.

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

• Agree 1

Got my 1st Place Prize Pack a few days ago courtesy of @SuperJimtendo!  Included: A neat-o cordless NES Zapper gun I did not know existed -and I usually know about this kind of stuff.  Works from 15 ft and the o.g. NES Zapper gun has an 8 ft. cord so that could be interesting for having competitions.  A NES homebrew titled: "The Arm Wrestling Classic" which also has the makings of great little party game.  A Game Boy Color that will come in handy.  It has a Pokemon screen and I have no idea how SuperJim knew my fav. color for a game boy color is Kiwi/Lime Green!  Wave Race for Game Boy (can't go wrong w/racing) Dexter's Laboratory: Robot Rampage for Game Boy Color, which is like a much less frustrating version of Elevator Action, A Cool Metroid Sign, Donkey Kong for Atari 2600, A 3-screw Spyhunter, some Mario/Luigi/Yoshi Stickers, and a 3D printed Kickle, that looks to be signed on it's bottom and numbered #51 of.......  100?!  He even gave me a couple of rechargeable AA batteries for the Game Boy Color, what a Guy!!!  I def feel like I owe him a few beers, to say the least.  Thanx A Bunch, Jimbo!! 

SJ  PrizePack.png

SJ NES SIGNS.png

SJ Arm Wrestling HB.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

So this is what the package was for? Hah, so thought it was for participating in the Christmas competition.  Anyway, thanks a bunch for the 3D printed figures, @SuperJimtendo! They are displayed by my NES CRT!

i have mine on my tv as well... theyre so cool, i love em