IGNORED

HOMEBREW SUPPORTER

zxdplay

15 minutes ago, Gloves said:

you didn't even add controller support. How am I supposed to enjoy the game "like it's the 80's" when I'm limited to WASD controls?

With the support of controllers, I specifically purchased several controllers for testing, including Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, and PS3 controllers.
Just need to set the handle on the title screen. If you update to the new version, it also has the function of automatically detecting the controller.

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The NFT thing still puts a sour taste in my mouth

This thread has nothing to do with NFT. I admit that I am mainly responsible for the NFT incident, but please don't involve NFT. This is what I am most worried about happening. HS has nothing to do with NFT. I just want to do a market survey here to see how many people like HS.

21 minutes ago, Gloves said:

you seem to be treating VGS as a test market

VGS is not a testing market. On the contrary, the VGS Homebrew forum will become the birthplace of HS.

41 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I need 170 people who will buy this console to make it happen

I just counted a number, I didn't make them pay any actual expenses

43 minutes ago, Gloves said:

"I want to make a lot of money without having to put in effort personally"

I need to develop a whole set of systems now, including building an operating system, designing PCB, configuring development environments, making games, and a lot of other work. Am I not trying hard enough?

55 minutes ago, Gloves said:

You've come here now multiple times exclusively to hock your wares

I think you misunderstood my kindness. I want to get everyone's support. I need to count the number of requirements so that I have confidence in completing the remaining work.

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Do you have a fully working prototype of the system, or is it entirely theoretical at this point?

There seems to be many aspects of this system that are still undecided.

How long do you think it would take to produce a full working prototype of this system?

The project has been initiated for a long time, not only in theory, but also in practice. It is hard to say how long it will take to complete it, which depends on how long it will take to break through the next technical difficulty.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

With the support of controllers, I specifically purchased several controllers for testing, including Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, and PS3 controllers.
Just need to set the handle on the title screen. If you update to the new version, it also has the function of automatically detecting the controller.

This thread has nothing to do with NFT. I admit that I am mainly responsible for the NFT incident, but please don't involve NFT. This is what I am most worried about happening. HS has nothing to do with NFT. I just want to do a market survey here to see how many people like HS.

VGS is not a testing market. On the contrary, the VGS Homebrew forum will become the birthplace of HS.

I just counted a number, I didn't make them pay any actual expenses

I need to develop a whole set of systems now, including building an operating system, designing PCB, configuring development environments, making games, and a lot of other work. Am I not trying hard enough?

I think you misunderstood my kindness. I want to get everyone's support. I need to count the number of requirements so that I have confidence in completing the remaining work.

To quote the OP of this thread:

"I have always wanted to develop games on game consoles with cartridges, because I like physical cartridges. I previously planned to make games on the SFC (SNES) and SEGA MD (Genesis), 
but soon I found that it was too difficult to make games on these two platforms.The CPU in the SFC is too weak to program in C language, and I can't even buy an original MD machine. The biggest pain is music production. The BGMs I can get are all wav, mp3, or midi. 
Due to the capacity limitation of the cartridge, it is not practical to save PCM audio sources in the cartridge.
Moreover, neither SFC nor MD supports midi playback, and converting midi to a playable format has poor results. I am not proficient in music, and although I can appreciate it, I cannot compose or produce music myself. I believe many Homebrew game producers have encountered the same problem when producing music."

My hand itches sometimes when I go grocery shopping because I'm allergic to the material of the reusable bags I got from the store, so I'm thinking I might start a farm.

Again, I don't want to come off as overly harsh. You're not asking for money upfront, you're asking for feedback. This is simply my honest feedback as someone in the community you've come to asking for feedback from. You can continue to post here, you can continue to solicit advice, etc., no problems there.

It just feels to me like you're making leaps and bounds of logical jumps, somehow landing at "I need to make my own console" when your initial issue as I understand it is that you're personally incapable of making music work on retro game consoles.

If I want to bake a cake I don't start by raising hens, I go to the grocery store and buy some eggs. Is there a reason you can't just hire a musician like @zi? He does excellent work and I'm confident would be happy to help with any musical needs you might have. And in terms of making games for a console which uses cartridges - you could make games for the Evercade if cartridges on consoles was your goal, and if making them on actual retro consoles is too hard for you. Or hey - the Switch uses cartridges. I don't get how you logically jump straight to "I must make my own console" here.

I involve the NFT thing because it's a part of your personal history here on VGS. I won't just ignore a person's history when considering backing their new products. It's not something that would stop me buying a game you made, but the really odd choice of making a whole console has me a bit more critical. You're talking either years of work, or a terrible product, and in either case an incredibly niche product which has stiff competition from an already established one (Evercade). I just don't see the need for it.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

As a player, I'd have to see at least a couple killer apps that bring this beyond the Nintendo/FC homebrew scene.  If it had Sivak's Battle Kid 3 or KHan's Larry 2 exclusives I'd be in.  I imagine you'd have to pay out guaranteed funds starting at $10k (a liberally low number) to get exclusives not including production costs of the software.  

And any existing known devs would still have to be willing to jump ship from the established NES/FC platform which wouldn't really make sense since the current scene is really about the passion for the system we all grew up with and have played for the past thee decades.  You would have to have produce something seriously special to make even the smallest impact on the scene as entrenched as it already is.

TLDR: Battle Kid 3 or Larry 2 exclusives and I'm in.

6 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

As a player, I'd have to see at least a couple killer apps that bring this beyond the Nintendo/FC homebrew scene.  If it had Sivak's Battle Kid 3 or KHan's Larry 2 exclusives I'd be in.  I imagine you'd have to pay out guaranteed funds starting at $10k (a liberally low number) to get exclusives not including production costs of the software.  

And any existing known devs would still have to be willing to jump ship from the established NES/FC platform which wouldn't really make sense since the current scene is really about the passion for the system we all grew up with and have played for the past thee decades.  You would have to have produce something seriously special to make even the smallest impact on the scene as entrenched as it already is.

Not to mention they’d also have to learn C now to develop for said console

20 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

The project has been initiated for a long time, not only in theory, but also in practice. It is hard to say how long it will take to complete it, which depends on how long it will take to break through the next technical difficulty.

Have you got a game up and running on the spec hardware yet?

Are we talking the kind of 8 bit style graphics, or something more advanced like we'd see from SNES, MD or even higher?

18 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

You are right. I can understand the feelings of many people towards the NES, including myself, who love NES games.

12 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

The graphic effect can at least reach the HD version of SNES

Can you post some screenshots of some of the games you are working on, so I can get an idea of the style of game you're talking about?

I really want to see what you have in mind here.

57 minutes ago, Gloves said:

If I want to bake a cake I don't start by raising hens, I go to the grocery store and buy some eggs. Is there a reason you can't just hire a musician like @zi? He does excellent work and I'm confident would be happy to help with any musical needs you might have. And in terms of making games for a console which uses cartridges - you could make games for the Evercade if cartridges on consoles was your goal, and if making them on actual retro consoles is too hard for you. Or hey - the Switch uses cartridges. I don't get how you logically jump straight to "I must make my own console" here.

During the development of Beeling, I found that it was difficult to get music for MD. All I got were music in mp3 and midi formats. When I converted the midi to vgm format, the effect was very poor. The only way was to find a musician who could write DefleMask music, but I couldn't find one. In addition, I bought a fake MD console online, which made me very angry. In a fit of pique, I decided to turn to developing a brand new cartridge game console. In fact, I had wanted to do this for a long time. The above reasons only accelerated my decision.

17 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Can you post some screenshots of some of the games you are working on, so I can get an idea of the style of game you're talking about?

I really want to see what you have in mind here.

Now the system has not been set up yet, so we can't see the screen.

21 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

To be honest, I'm only interested in cartridge games for older consoles. If you were programming new games for NES/Famicom, I'd be interested, but not a whole new system on its own.

Ok, I just came to consult your opinions

1 hour ago, zxdplay said:

Have you reviewed what happened to Coleco Chameleon or Intellivision Amico ? Just curious your thoughts about those systems.

Edited by CT
grammars

1 hour ago, zxdplay said:

No problem.

IMO, a whole new system is a tough, tough sell nowadays. I commend you for wanting to try new things, but we've seen a lot of things crash and burn over the years.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

No problem.

IMO, a whole new system is a tough, tough sell nowadays. I commend you for wanting to try new things, but we've seen a lot of things crash and burn over the years.

Yeah but I mean the NFT thing was huge so he’s got piles of cash to burn! 

6 hours ago, zxdplay said:

I need to develop a whole set of systems now, including building an operating system, designing PCB, configuring development environments, making games, and a lot of other work.

No, you don't: the NES already exists!  You don't have to do any of the bullshit work that you outlined above.  You're repeating the same thing you did when you initially began posting on VGS: taking something very easy and simple and turning it into a complicated mess that puts everybody off and makes you look foolish.

@zxdplay If you want to make easy money for relatively little effort, do one of the following:

A) Team up with a publisher to re-release the NES version of Star Keeper, or

B) Develop a new NES game and then team up with a publisher to have it released

Both of the above options will not require you to leave your home; hell, they won't even require you to leave your computer desk.  Option A) will take you a few hours of back and forth emails, while Option B) will take hundreds of hours of programming, but both of these will make you money guaranteed!

No one is going to develop games for a console with a userbase in the single digits - NOBODY!  Make more NES games and the money will come rolling in (not enought to live on, but a hell of a lot more than you'd ever make from your current idea)...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 2

And speaking of the Evercade, do they have any exclusive games?  From what I've seen, the entire library seems to be compilations of games that the Evercade people have bought the rights to and then released themselves.  If this is the case (that every single playable Evercade game is a port of a pre-existing game on another platform), then even the Evercade's currently installed userbase and presence in the market has not yet hit the critical mass required to lure developers into wanting to make original games for the console; take a moment to think about that!

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

For what it’s worth, I think you have really out of the box ideas. I don’t agree with them, but you having interesting thoughts.

That said, I think it really matters what your motivation is. If you’re just trying to play with a new challenge, then do what you want. But if you are looking to make money to fund future projects, what’s been said above is solid advice, and my offer to help you publish another run of Star Keeper on the NES with VGS and Mega Cat still stands. If you’re just looking to make money period, homebrew development is definitely the wrong corner for you, because the margins are not great.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Or he could do a Famicom run of a star keeper carts, keep more of the profits, and avoid pissing off previous star keeper owners 😉

I'd be all in on that!  That's almost the perfect solution as the NES copies would retain their ridiculous values to appease collectors, and anyone else wanting a physical cart to play could buy the 60-pin version and use a converter (or his AV Famicom, in my case).

That would be a day one purchase from me...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'd be all in on that!  That's almost the perfect solution as the NES copies would retain their ridiculous values to appease collectors, and anyone else wanting a physical cart to play could buy the 60-pin version and use a converter (or his AV Famicom, in my case).

That would be a day one purchase from me...

I would but a Famicom Star keeper cartridge as well. Great idea.

Graphics Team · Posted

I think a new, dedicated cartridge-based retro console is a neat idea!

The biggest hurdle for something like this, as other have said, is in marketing for it.
Finding the audience to support this is a matter of getting on their radar in a big, exciting way that instills confidence and anticipation for the product.

If you're really willing to go all-in on this, I wish you the best - I'd love to see this concept succeed if it's done right!

[T-Pac]

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

The biggest hurdle for something like this, as other have said, is in marketing for it.

Nah, I'd say the biggest hurdle is actually making a new videogame system from scratch. It's, like, very hard, and OP has not provided any evidence of his ability to do so thus far.

People talking about marketing, and sales volume and this and that, and the dude has nothing on the table other than a photo of a famiclone and a crack pipe. 😅