IGNORED

Beat Every Worldwide N64 Game - 2024/2025 - 50/388

Sorry I didn't help out at all last year. I got tied up for half the year getting every pokemon in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team. But you guys pulled it off, congrats!

Here's Wonder Project J2 done. Looks like it's the first Japanese game of this thread.

wonder_project_j2_1_small.jpg.3e145795882877f205d0bc01fdcb5fec.jpg

• Like 4

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, MagusSmurf said:

The N64 might not have particularly many RPG and Strategy games but they do exist - including Japanese ones with no translation patch.

Is playing the untranslated ones really a realistic ask here?

Good question, I'd love to make a list of which games are playable for non-speakers, which are playable with a patch, and which ones need the janky Google Lens trick. If anything is truly unplayable, we might as well mark it as such and not "require" it. Which ones do you know of?

@LHCGreg how playable was Wonder Project J2?

12 minutes ago, Splain said:

Good question, I'd love to make a list of which games are playable for non-speakers, which are playable with a patch, and which ones need the janky Google Lens trick. If anything is truly unplayable, we might as well mark it as such and not "require" it. Which ones do you know of?

I’ll play some of the untranslated ones, but it probably won’t be until later this year. I’m not playing the mahjong games though. I’ll do stuff like Getter Love, Doraemon and Zuru.

9 hours ago, Splain said:

I played Wonder Project J2 with a translation patch, so no issues.

Thabeast721 on Youtube is beating every N64 game including Japanese exclusives. He doesn't know any Japanese and is using a translation app to get through text-heavy games that don't have a patch. You can get an idea of how accessible a game is to people who don't know Japanese if he's done a video on it.

A couple weeks ago I began nosing around in PD Ultraman using the translate app on my Android phone. It's sort of an RPG, but I get the impression (based on Thabeast721's review) that it's pretty doable once you can get used to the basic menu structure, since the game is highly repetitive and the dialogue is mostly boilerplate stuff.

Honestly, I think we're at the point where just about anything in Japanese is playable with enough determination, except for some games where either the text isn't legible to our phones or there's a lot of audio-only stuff. But I beat The Sniper on PlayStation with my phone, for example, and was able to translate even audio-only things well enough to understand the mission objectives (which are sometimes very specific!) and execute them (...literally).

All that said, I have a toddler in the house, so I can promise nothing! But I should get Mia Hamm done soon, at least.

Edited by bronzeshield

***SPLAIN ALERT***

@Splain is this thing on?

LEGO RACERS complete!

IMG20240210154425.jpg.3c8cd7177a87528128226925b36381a5.jpg

IMG20240210154448.jpg.32cbf34ac10a94856e537f9d8ed54386.jpg

Gotta say, I'm really not much of a fan of this one. The races are an absolute clusterfuck of weapons and traps going off, it's basically impossible to get ahead of the pack, and the CPU rivals have an unbelievably unfair advantage, zooming ahead way faster than you can possibly catch up to them.

As far as I am aware, there is only one reliable strategy to win, which is to gather the boost power-up and collect 3 white LEGO blocks to activate the warp. If you can achieve this multiple times per race, you have a CHANCE at victory, but even then you can easily be fucked up by stage hazards and other racers fucking you over.

I wouldn't call this game unfun, but it's VERY unfair, unbalanced and ultimately very unsatisfying. 5/10 max.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Since it's blank, I'm gonna ask about WWF No Mercy.  I assume we have to win a title belt, but is there a specific one we need to beat?  The ending is the same regardless of which one is acquired or which path is followed, so I would assume it doesn't matter, but I wanted to confirm first.  I've already 100% completed every belt anyway, but every now and then I get the urge to chip away at unlocking the Ho, so doing a quick belt run between gauntlets could make for a decent break.

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

***SPLAIN ALERT***

@Splain is this thing on?

LEGO RACERS complete!

IMG20240210154425.jpg.3c8cd7177a87528128226925b36381a5.jpg

IMG20240210154448.jpg.32cbf34ac10a94856e537f9d8ed54386.jpg

Gotta say, I'm really not much of a fan of this one. The races are an absolute clusterfuck of weapons and traps going off, it's basically impossible to get ahead of the pack, and the CPU rivals have an unbelievably unfair advantage, zooming ahead way faster than you can possibly catch up to them.

As far as I am aware, there is only one reliable strategy to win, which is to gather the boost power-up and collect 3 white LEGO blocks to activate the warp. If you can achieve this multiple times per race, you have a CHANCE at victory, but even then you can easily be fucked up by stage hazards and other racers fucking you over.

I wouldn't call this game unfun, but it's VERY unfair, unbalanced and ultimately very unsatisfying. 5/10 max.

I put a couple hours into this in 2021 and deemed it unbeatable. The Lego theme is great and I liked the asthetics, but you are dead-on with your gameplay critique. Beating this is an accomplishment IMO. Kazaa to you!

Also, I remember playing this as a kid and not finding it that difficult. It had to have been on a different console...maybe Gameboy Color?...

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every Worldwide N64 Game - 2024/2025 - 44/388
On 2/10/2024 at 8:49 AM, Nugfish said:

I put a couple hours into this in 2021 and deemed it unbeatable. The Lego theme is great and I liked the asthetics, but you are dead-on with your gameplay critique. Beating this is an accomplishment IMO. Kazaa to you!

Also, I remember playing this as a kid and not finding it that difficult. It had to have been on a different console...maybe Gameboy Color?...

It's not THAT bad 😉

Or maybe I just play a lot of really bad racing games...

Edited by PuppyWaffles

1 minute ago, PuppyWaffles said:

No I just meant in general 😉

Wow. I mean, just wow. You think you know someone... And then... Words hurt you know... 😢

P.s. I'll give you a million bucks if you can guess what my next game will be! 😉

(And no it's not Majora's Mask, and you get three guesses).

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Wow. I mean, just wow. You think you know someone... And then... Words hurt you know... 😢

P.s. I'll give you a million bucks if you can guess what my next game will be! 😉

(And no it's not Majora's Mask, and you get three guesses).

1. Getter Love

2. Yoshi's Story

3. Shadows of the Empire 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, PuppyWaffles said:

1. Getter Love

2. Yoshi's Story

3. Shadows of the Empire 

Nope, nah, and I just beat that again like late last year....

I'll give you one more guess, but it's pretty random.

I guess I'll give you a clue or two... It's published by Acclaim, it's not a sports game, it is basically the most random and weird game on the system, and if you try to play it using a regular controller you'll destroy your fingers and hands forever. Oh and the title is a fucking mess.

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Nope, nah, and I just beat that again like late last year....

I'll give you one more guess, but it's pretty random.

I guess I'll give you a clue or two... It's published by Acclaim, it's not a sports game, it is basically the most random and weird game on the system, and if you try to play it using a regular controller you'll destroy your fingers and hands forever. Oh and the title is a fucking mess.

The 2 that come to mind would be Iggy's Reckin Balls or Forsaken 64

• Love 1