IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 663/677

35 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

It's a standard rule for sports games with season modes that you have to play the season mode. But it's also standard that sports games that will let you skip/simulate the regular season, it is only necessary to play the postseason games. Tecmo NBA allows you to skip those games.

Also, Wolverine is done.

It doesn't matter anyway.  Either it's because I'm getting old or I don't really like basketball that much anyway, but this game just keeps pissing on my chest. There's too much going on onscreen, and the flickering isn't helping. So I'm going to give Space Shuttle Project a try instead.

5 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Championship Pool is waiting for ya...

Sadly, I dont have a copy. But I think I will remedy that and try and find one on ebay. The only other pool game I own is breathru and I couldn't stand that when I bought it. 

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Sadly, I dont have a copy. But I think I will remedy that and try and find one on ebay. The only other pool game I own is breathru and I couldn't stand that when I bought it. 

You mean Break Time.  Breakthru is an action game 😛  Anyway, aside from those and Lunar Pool, I can't think of any other pool games on the NES.  Probably not on the Famicom either, as it's not exactly popular in Japan as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

Well shit, I'd just beat a game to keep my personal streak alive at 24 days, and it turns out today's game hasn't been done yet.  Y'all can scratch off The Rocketeer.  I've been checking whenever I've been beating a game, but since I'm focusing on easy shit that can be done in a couple hours, I honestly didn't realize it hadn't been done yet 😛  Pretty solid game, a few frustrating parts but nothing too crazy.  I started shortly after 1 am, and it's about 20 after 3 am now, so yeah, not hard at all.  Sure it's a one-life game, but unlimited continues AND passwords make this super easy to pull off if you're so inclined.  Definitely better than I was expecting for a 90s movie tie in, that's for sure.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 419/677
11 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well shit, I'd just beat a game to keep my personal streak alive at 24 days, and it turns out today's game hasn't been done yet.  Y'all can scratch off The Rocketeer.  

You got this in the nick of time. After polishing off side pocket last night, I took a break to do some work, then played through all but the last portion of the last mission of rocketeer. Got to sinclair, but with little health, and I didnt get his pattern right away. Came close, but died. NES is still on and paused at that last section to finish off after work today. Would have been done in a few hours lol. Hope you enjoyed it. I have always loved that game despite the AVGN hate and general bad reputation

19 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You got this in the nick of time. After polishing off side pocket last night, I took a break to do some work, then played through all but the last portion of the last mission of rocketeer. Got to sinclair, but with little health, and I didnt get his pattern right away. Came close, but died. NES is still on and paused at that last section to finish off after work today. Would have been done in a few hours lol. Hope you enjoyed it. I have always loved that game despite the AVGN hate and general bad reputation

Well shit, I'm not used to being the one getting in before someone else.  Usually other people knock off the games I have in my queue 😆   It definitely is an unexpectedly good game.  I had no idea it got hate online, but that doesn't really surprise me.  One thing I figured out is that I had an easier time punching out Sinclair than shooting at him.  I got to him with low ammo, and almost no health.  Tried to get some power ups but to no avail.  That's when I noticed he charges across the room when you get close.  So I would trigger a charge and pinch him as he ran by.  For whatever reason, if you hit him, he doesn't damage you when he runs through you. 

Anyway, is it weird that I beat it in its entirety in about two hours? I'd never previously played past the rooftop level, so I basically had to figure it out from scratch, but it sure didn't feel like a "leave it on overnight" kind of game.

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well shit, I'm not used to being the one getting in before someone else.  Usually other people knock off the games I have in my queue 😆   It definitely is an unexpectedly good game.  I had no idea it got hate online, but that doesn't really surprise me.  One thing I figured out is that I had an easier time punching out Sinclair than shooting at him.  I got to him with low ammo, and almost no health.  Tried to get some power ups but to no avail.  That's when I noticed he charges across the room when you get close.  So I would trigger a charge and pinch him as he ran by.  For whatever reason, if you hit him, he doesn't damage you when he runs through you. 

Anyway, is it weird that I beat it in its entirety in about two hours? I'd never previously played past the rooftop level, so I basically had to figure it out from scratch, but it sure didn't feel like a "leave it on overnight" kind of game.

Beating it in 2 hours is definitely an accomplishment if you had not played it before. It isn't real difficult, but there are frustrating spots like the bats on mission 6. And mostly the last level - its a long and tough run to sinclair without a lot of power ups unless you map out where to go for them, which I didnt and doubt you did.   

It isnt a leave it on over night type game generally though. I just didnt get to it until late night with finishing off side pocket and then getting on my work pc. Probably 11 or close to it before I started, so it was ambitious to try to complete it and make bed at midnight. I would have stayed up later and polished it off if I thought there was any chance in hell it would get knocked out while I was at work. Ah well. Glad to hear there is another human being that enjoys it. The flying aspect is awesome! Takes a run and gun sidescroller and really spices it up

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Beating it in 2 hours is definitely an accomplishment if you had not played it before. It isn't real difficult, but there are frustrating spots like the bats on mission 6. And mostly the last level - its a long and tough run to sinclair without a lot of power ups unless you map out where to go for them, which I didnt and doubt you did.   

It isnt a leave it on over night type game generally though. I just didnt get to it until late night with finishing off side pocket and then getting on my work pc. Probably 11 or close to it before I started, so it was ambitious to try to complete it and make bed at midnight. I would have stayed up later and polished it off if I thought there was any chance in hell it would get knocked out while I was at work. Ah well. Glad to hear there is another human being that enjoys it. The flying aspect is awesome! Takes a run and gun sidescroller and really spices it up

Sounds like I started when you finished, depending on the time zones.  I started at about 1 am and finished shortly after 3 am.  I had played it a few years back, but only got to level 3.  The hardest part for me was execution.  I am actually pretty good at pattern recognition, it's just my manual dexterity is the shits.  I solved the bats on my third attempt at level 5.  As for level 6, there's a conveniently located full health pickup not far off the beaten path, and reasonably close to the end...close enough that I had half health the first time I made it to Sinclair.  The second time with low ammo, I ended up figuring out the punching thing that ultimately worked better for me.  But yeah, it was pretty simple, just came down to pattern recognition in most of the tough spots.

Oh, and I couldn't figure out how to predict the way the mines would explode.  That would help immensely in some spots.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:09 PM, Khromak said:

I beat it last year for the first time ever. It's not a good game but the infinite continues means you can practice each section a bunch of times until you get it. The jank is bad but you somewhat get used to it after a while. It's definitely a memorization type of game.

Didn't enjoy my time with it though 😄

You got any tips on the 3rd iteration of that final boss? It's so ridiculous, you have to fight the stupid thing 3 times. Lol

4 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

You got any tips on the 3rd iteration of that final boss? It's so ridiculous, you have to fight the stupid thing 3 times. Lol

I don't remember which form was which, I think the first two had patterns you could memorize, but the third one might've been random and you have to react to it? In the end I think the key was making sure I was attacking as much as possible. Iirc each form had a different weak spot and/or would counter if you attacked in a specific spot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Khromak said:

I don't remember which form was which, I think the first two had patterns you could memorize, but the third one might've been random and you have to react to it? In the end I think the key was making sure I was attacking as much as possible. Iirc each form had a different weak spot and/or would counter if you attacked in a specific spot

Thanks, that makes sense. I had the first 2 patterns memorized but the 3rd might be random. It sucks everytime you die on the 3rd one you have to start over and go back to the 1st one. 🙄

The Mafat Conspiracy is done.

I had both Golgo-13 games growing up, although I could never navigate their mazes until the Internet and its glorious maps and walkthroughs. Until finally beating both games for this challenge as a grown-ass man, I had always preferred the original Golgo-13. But now I think I prefer the sequel; it has better graphics, a more coherent story, and one of the most underrated endings in the entire NES library.

The only bullshit thing about the game is the lack of checkpoints after beating the last hand-to-hand boss. The game demands that you backtrack across the previous three platformer stages (with some really unfair jumps), through the two most complicated mazes in the game, and then successfully snipe the mastermind with one shot while he's moving. And if you screw any of that up, it's right back to the beginning of the gauntlet for you! But today, I did the gauntlet on one life for the first time ever. That felt SO good. (I still burned through about half of the game's 50ish limited continues to get to the aforementioned badass ending.)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, McBryce said:

Anyone have any tips/strategies for Bases Loaded 3 and 4? I’m trying to take them both down this year.

I’ve played a few games of 3 and gotten absolutely nowhere.

I have never liked the Bases Loaded games, and have only tried them superficially. And I say that as someone who has possibly beaten all the other NES baseball games.

I'm just popping in to wish you luck and remind you that Bases Loaded 3 is the only one in the series that doesn't require a long season mode for completion. You can somehow get through that one by playing some kind of perfect game, but I've never examined the mechanics the game measures that by.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

So for the final boss in RoboCop 2, each time you face them it's not only a different pattern, more importantly they have a different area of vulnerability and invincibility. If you shoot the wrong spot the bullets deflect right back at you. The final iteration you can't shoot the legs. You have to hit it in the upper torso or head. Once I figured that out it was much, much, easier. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Once I figured that out it was much, much, easier. 👍

You mean once I told you that it was much, much easier. 😄 Just kidding, glad you finally got him, fuck that guy!

I'm also glad to hear my memory was correct on that guy. I definitely fought him many, many times before figuring out WTF was going on. The first 2 are easy enough with the strat I was using that I didn't have to understand his mechanics, but the third one threw me for a loop for a while until I figured that out because I was throwing tons of bullets right at his invincible section and getting murdered.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

You mean once I told you that it was much, much easier. 😄 Just kidding, glad you finally got him, fuck that guy!

I'm also glad to hear my memory was correct on that guy. I definitely fought him many, many times before figuring out WTF was going on. The first 2 are easy enough with the strat I was using that I didn't have to understand his mechanics, but the third one threw me for a loop for a while until I figured that out because I was throwing tons of bullets right at his invincible section and getting murdered.

Lol yes you were correct and thank you for the tip. 🙌

• Love 1

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Ok, time to start Blaster Master again.  Ill be back in almost 3 hrs, unless it glitches again, then I'm abandoning it.

Finished Blaster Master.  Looks like it was about ~2 hrs as predicted.  It took a little longer because I played it safe at the end.  I lost all my Hover and Homing Missiles so I farmed for them, which made the one room with the tiny jumps, spikes and small enemies MUCH easier.  I also tried to employ a new technique of holding down the A button, which locks Jason in place and used "Gun" to keep firing forward.  Worked well but its uncomfortable.  At least I was greeted with one of the best pieces of end screen music on the NES.

• Like 1