IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 665/677

1 hour ago, Strikezone1 said:

Thanks, but I'm not sure that's accurate. In both walkthroughs I've watched where the 10K bonus was achieved (NintendoComplete and also @arnpoly's), it was awarded right after the bonus bottle stage, which is prior to the 3rd and final stage, and in both runs they did not miss a single shot on the bottle bonus. Additionally, in both runs they ended up with 84 - 87.5% overall accuracy.

I just completed a run that ended up at 89% accuracy (cheesed the zapper by holding it right up to the screen) and did not get the 10K bonus - I missed one measly shot on the bonus level.

This leads me to believe that the 10K award is driven by 100% accuracy specifically on the bottle bonus level, not overall accuracy.

From my notes, I only got the 10K bonus by clearing the bonus stage without missing.

16 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

It was a few years ago, but I think I earned the 10k bonus after the spooky level, lost it after leaving a bottle behind on the bar stage, and then had it reappear after the space stage. I really think the bonus 10k is tied to game-wide hit %.

This is interesting!  Certainly possible.  But I can say for sure they only way I got it was clearing the bottles no-miss.

• Like 1

Also just realized that I have been a bad member and not been contributing my NES clears.  I saw Solomon's Key was left unbeaten last year but I did that one for the first time in 2023 and never posted it.  It's been slow going on my end, I only did 5 clears on my list all of last year.

I will say that next up on my personal list is Solar Jetman, planning on starting up that one up this month.  I'll be sure to share when that's done so that I can actually contribute again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it would be easy to assume the bonus points are tied to the bonus level in Shooting Range, for several reasons. Honestly, the bottle stage is the easiest one and it's safe to assume that your accuracy is higher there than in other stages where the targets are actually moving. And in Shooting Range, I honestly don't think the Zapper feels as accurate as it does in first-party games. The hit boxes may just be a bit... off... compared to in Hogan's Alley or Wild Gunman.

Let's say the cutoff for earning the bonus is a hit rate of 90%. (I don't know if that's true, but it's a good guess.) I think a good run in the first two stages could still only put your accuracy at around 85%. Then, you suddenly ace the bottle stage, and your game-wide accuracy bounces up to 93%. Hello, 10k bonus! Then, as long as you can muster 85%ish again in space, you should stay at 90.1% or better for the game.

It's not that I don't believe your theory on this @nerdynebraskan, it just that it simply does not align with my first hand experience thus far in the game (at least 20 attempts), nor any walkthrough I can find on YT.

Again, I achieved an 89% accuracy, missed only once on the bottle in the bonus, and did not get the 10K bonus.

In Arnpoly's run, he killed it with a great score of 51,550 to achieve gold, but the accuracy showed only 84%. He got the 10K bonus despite be 5% lower in accuracy (again, I cheesed the zapper on my run, I'm assuming he did not on his).

arnpoly's run on YT, accuracy shown at 8:54:

Unless there is some variable that we are missing here (which is very possible), the only logical conclusion at this point is the 10K is only awarded with a no miss run on the bottle bonus, and not overall accuracy %.

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The Magic of Scheherazade is in the bag.  What an interesting game.  I highly recommend it to anyone who digs action RPGs.  It's just pretty damn awesome overall.  Some neat ideas, some that don't work so well, but a great game overall.

I think there are a few aggravating flaws in the game, but I agree that it's a superb specimen of an 8-bit Action-RPG. The gameplay is generally excellent. I love the way they use time travel. The music really creates a special ambiance. Your companions add a lot of personality despite being given very little space. The NPCs are actually fun to talk to.

On the other hand, I hate the invisible holes in the floor in the dungeons. It's really irritating that I have to watch a YouTube playthrough to know where I can step. I also really hate that some of the monsters in the turn-based battles can just kill your entire party in one attack. And a few of the bosses can also just insta-kill you far too cheaply and unavoidably.

Polished off Bart Vs. The Space Mutants.  Not a terrible game, but MY GOD, the hit box on the dinosaurs head!  I always knew this, but the first time I played it, I lost probably about 12 lives on it.  The most frustrating part is you have to stomp on it 3 times from a jump.  From those 12 deaths, 9 of them were I hit it 3 times, but because of the screen scroll and where I was, I FELL THRU THE PLATFORM to my death.  INFURIATING.  Well I went back more prepared and it took only 3 tries this time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arnpoly said:

Also just realized that I have been a bad member and not been contributing my NES clears.  I saw Solomon's Key was left unbeaten last year but I did that one for the first time in 2023 and never posted it.  It's been slow going on my end, I only did 5 clears on my list all of last year.

I will say that next up on my personal list is Solar Jetman, planning on starting up that one up this month.  I'll be sure to share when that's done so that I can actually contribute again!

Solomon's Key is one of those games that intimidates me. I think someday I should try to beat it, but man it seems so daunting.

Street Cop is beaten.

These NES accessory games are stressful, lol.

This game is decent for being a power pad game.

Most annoying part is the final stage where there’s shitty RNG of where/when enemies and the final boss are going to spawn. If you get bad luck on when they spawn, and/or killed enemies don’t drop enough timer refills, you’re screwed and run out of time and have to redo the stage. 

IMG_0874.jpeg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Also I wanted to ask, how many people other than me are using real carts?  Not emulating them, or using an everdrive.

I haven't started participating in this year's contest (yet) but when I have for the past few years, I almost always use original carts. I sometimes use Everdrive if I want to practice certain stages/bosses/whatever, or if a game is going to take multiple days and has no save feature, but 99% of the time I'm playing on the original cart.

Point of clarification: for games where I practice with an Everdrive, I still end up completing them on the original carts once I'm feeling ready to take a crack at full-game attempts.

I don't really see a difference between using an Everdrive/Powerpak vs using an original cart tbh, but I do it because I collected the damn things, and also because I want to completely remove the temptation to use a save state, even just to save time on games where it wouldn't offer any advantage.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Also I wanted to ask, how many people other than me are using real carts?  Not emulating them, or using an everdrive.

I usually use real carts, but lately I've been participating on the RetroAchievements site which requires using emulators, so I've been doing that. 

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

I emulated a couple years ago because I was living in another city away from my collection, and for a short time after returning because I had everything packed up.  But this year, and most other years I've contributed, has been on console.  I'm only missing the Panesians, Cheetahmen 2, and Stadium Events though, so for this challenge I have a functionally complete collection.