IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

3 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I just remember it being pretty damn tough to do.  I'm pretty crap at the game 😛

I think the only dangerous enemies in the game are the super ninjas. There's no reliably legitimate way to beat the ones that require a shitload of shots to kill. You just have to hoard a bunch of the music boxes, since they put the ninjas to sleep.

The last stage before the final boss is the only brutal one. By the third or fourth loop, you need to have 3-5 music boxes when you reach that stage; and always focus on killing the ones with the outrageous HP first when you stun all of them. You don't want to pick off the weak ones first, because their deaths spawn reinforcements that won't be affected by the music box you've already used. Kill the tank ninja, and then quickly eliminate 2-4 of the glass cannon ninjas before the music box wears off. Let them all swarm you, then use your next music box. Rinse and repeat. It's cheap, but so are they. The game's difficulty is poorly balanced.

9 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Working on Little Nemo, and nightmare land is to uh, say the least a......NIGHTMARE

I've tried it a bit, and yeah, it's tougher than it looks. I got stuck on the second level for about an hour before I called it a night. The animal companions are a cool gameplay mechanism, but their abilities are pretty limited. The game would be easy if they played like Yoshi or the Adventure Island sidekicks.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I've tried it a bit, and yeah, it's tougher than it looks. I got stuck on the second level for about an hour before I called it a night. The animal companions are a cool gameplay mechanism, but their abilities are pretty limited. The game would be easy if they played like Yoshi or the Adventure Island sidekicks.

Ya, I rage quit this morning 🤣.  If each animal had a way to "attack" that would be super helpful, and it doesn't help that the game is unforgiving in the fact that it puts you back to the first part.  I am super good at the penguin boss though, but stage 2 is the worst with timing.

Battletoads & double dragon is complete, for the first time by me. It took some practice on the last couple stages but honestly I think I lost most of my lives on the rope stage. This game is quite a bit easier and more forgiving than battletoads, in my opinion. Still tough and certain sections feel like total BS until you figure them out, but once you know a few tricks, it's not bad at all

Edit: oh also this game is WAY more focused on combat and has very little twitch reaction/memorization. If you're into the beat-em-up parts of Battletoads but didn't care for Volkmire/Turbo Tunnel, or the precision platforming & timing of a lot of those stages, this one will be much more your style. It's VERY different from the original, definitely more of a mashup of DD & Battletoads than a straight sequel.

BattletoadsDoubleDragon.jpg

Edited by Khromak
  • Like 3

Congrats to @guitarzombie for doing The Mutant Virus. That's a huge clear that boosted our odds of beating the whole catalog.

I may be within a few days of doing another run at RoboWarrior, but I'm curious if @TheGameDisplay may already be onto it. He last posted a few weeks ago with conquests in the R's.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Congrats to @guitarzombie for doing The Mutant Virus. That's a huge clear that boosted our odds of beating the whole catalog.

I may be within a few days of doing another run at RoboWarrior, but I'm curious if @TheGameDisplay may already be onto it. He last posted a few weeks ago with conquests in the R's.

I got too far to turn back haha.  It was nerve-wracking because after a few times dying stupidly on the last bit of level 4, I pushed thru to level 5 trying to get a feel for a strategy.  I realized the real enemy is time.  So instead of trying to figure out what CM bombs go with what room, I basically used them in the room they're found in, except for one room because its so easy.  After a few attempts, and dying with 2 rooms left etc, I got to the point where I had my super gun and CM running in the last room I needed with not a lot of life but one extra life needed.  Its a room where if you get too close to 2 areas, it shoots a white bloodcell thing that not only will kill you in one hit, but also add more virus to what you just cleaned.  I died, but had full life left.  I took a chance, did ok but then lost a LOT of life.  SO I had zero lives left and one blip of life left.  Since I had all the other rooms I had time on my side so I was INCREDIBLY careful and took my time.  I ended up doing it and I felt that excitement you only get by barely finishing a tough NES game. 

Now its up to someone to do Ikari Warriors 🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I got too far to turn back haha.  It was nerve-wracking because after a few times dying stupidly on the last bit of level 4, I pushed thru to level 5 trying to get a feel for a strategy.  I realized the real enemy is time.  So instead of trying to figure out what CM bombs go with what room, I basically used them in the room they're found in, except for one room because its so easy.  After a few attempts, and dying with 2 rooms left etc, I got to the point where I had my super gun and CM running in the last room I needed with not a lot of life but one extra life needed.  Its a room where if you get too close to 2 areas, it shoots a white bloodcell thing that not only will kill you in one hit, but also add more virus to what you just cleaned.  I died, but had full life left.  I took a chance, did ok but then lost a LOT of life.  SO I had zero lives left and one blip of life left.  Since I had all the other rooms I had time on my side so I was INCREDIBLY careful and took my time.  I ended up doing it and I felt that excitement you only get by barely finishing a tough NES game. 

Now its up to someone to do Ikari Warriors 🙂

Fun thing to note in Mutant Virus - the alarm only sounds on incomplete rooms, and the rooms only get threatened if you're not in them.  So when you're in the final room, the internal clock no longer matters.  Having little health in the final room is no issue at all, as long as it's a room where you can safely hold the viruses at bay.  Great job by the way...I've got 349 games on my personal list, and I count The Mutant Virus as the one I feel is the biggest completion on it.

Anyway, no way in hell I'm gonna bother with Ikari Warriors, as I have zero desire to learn it enough to do a 1cc run.  I wish we had @BeaIank back.  It'd be a non issue if she could play again 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 553/677
9 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Fun thing to note in Mutant Virus - the alarm only sounds on incomplete rooms, and the rooms only get threatened if you're not in them.  So when you're in the final room, the internal clock no longer matters.  Having little health in the final room is no issue at all, as long as it's a room where you can safely hold the viruses at bay.  Great job by the way...I've got 349 games on my personal list, and I count The Mutant Virus as the one I feel is the biggest completion on it.

Yeah, I remember trying to find if there was a pattern to them and I couldn't find anything.  Its after a set amount of time, but it varies and isn't strictly consistent.   The last room I did was probably the toughest one, so I had to angle myself just right since I had a CV pumping out bad virus near me.  I had put a CM over it but it wasn't one that moved in the same direction.  Plus you cant shoot the super gun thru it, so I only had one tile of space above and below it to wipe out the middle part.  I started on the far right where the other white blood cell things are and did that area easily.  In order to move to the other side I had to pass those proxy white blood cell things, so that means when I got close it shot out, and could potentially kill me.  I passed it and worked on the bottom of the room but got overwhelmed and almost died, so I had to stay to the right area which was mostly safe.  Since the middle area was still active and I only had 1 tile to shoot around, the virus would creep in on me, so it was still pretty dangerous.  I just had to be careful and take my time.  I would probably say that was the hardest room.  All the others just take a while but aren't too bad, and its while you're tackling those rooms that the other ones go haywire, so you'd have to leave, and take care of that, then something else goes etc.  I can get outta hand pretty quickly and if they're rooms far away from each other you can get unlucky there too.

Events Team · Posted
14 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Anyway, no way in hell I'm gonna bother with Ikari Warriors, as I have zero desire to learn it enough to do a 1cc run.  I wish we had @BeaIank back.  It'd be a non issue if she could play again

Wish I could play again too. Maybe next year with an arcade stick and the bionic hand I can go back to beating some NES games.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I've been chipping away at Defenders of Dynatron City.  Its a fun little game and relatively short, it's just the hit detection is rotten.  I got to the end of the final level right before fighing the boss and died.  Which is unfortunate because the boss in comparison is really easy.  I should take this down within 24 hrs.

7 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Yeah, I remember trying to find if there was a pattern to them and I couldn't find anything.  Its after a set amount of time, but it varies and isn't strictly consistent.   The last room I did was probably the toughest one, so I had to angle myself just right since I had a CV pumping out bad virus near me.  I had put a CM over it but it wasn't one that moved in the same direction.  Plus you cant shoot the super gun thru it, so I only had one tile of space above and below it to wipe out the middle part.  I started on the far right where the other white blood cell things are and did that area easily.  In order to move to the other side I had to pass those proxy white blood cell things, so that means when I got close it shot out, and could potentially kill me.  I passed it and worked on the bottom of the room but got overwhelmed and almost died, so I had to stay to the right area which was mostly safe.  Since the middle area was still active and I only had 1 tile to shoot around, the virus would creep in on me, so it was still pretty dangerous.  I just had to be careful and take my time.  I would probably say that was the hardest room.  All the others just take a while but aren't too bad, and its while you're tackling those rooms that the other ones go haywire, so you'd have to leave, and take care of that, then something else goes etc.  I can get outta hand pretty quickly and if they're rooms far away from each other you can get unlucky there too.

It is random, but only to a point.  It cycles first through all the unentered rooms, then starts hitting the ones you've entered before.  So ideally, clear out rooms you've been in before touching the ones you haven't gone to at all.  Once those are done it starts attacking the rooms you've entered before.  Additionally, there is one room where it always has the same pattern regardless if you've entered or not (think it was one off the starting room IIRC, but it's been several years since I've been in it).  So the ideal plan is to not clear it out until near the end (or when you get to a point that it's too far to backtrack to), as it can be cleared fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Wish I could play again too. Maybe next year with an arcade stick and the bionic hand I can go back to beating some NES games.

Have you attempted using the Quick Shot?  Having a stick with buttons on it that you can press with one hand might be a viable solution.

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Have you attempted using the Quick Shot?  Having a stick with buttons on it that you can press with one hand might be a viable solution.

I have a custom arcade stick being built. I will be able to velcro the stick to my left arm for now to use it and practise.

• Like 1

Finished Dynatron City.  Again not too bad, just some hitbox weirdness.  I had to look up some help defeating the end 'super bosses' I got stuck on.  I lost all my members except Radium dog, which is pretty much the easiest way to defeat the final boss and it took one try.  Although I almost messed up because I didn't have much life left and when you attempt to use the 'supercharger' in the options menu, to engage it you have to hit "A" and not "Start", which is what I did and in the split second I realized to double checked I got punched haha.  But I made sure not to make the mistake again and beat the final boss. 

Quirky game that i'm sure if someone had as a kid they would have probably enjoyed, but not so much for a casual NES'er.  But I think its relatively fun and not a chore.  Id say the points for this one wasn't for difficulty but obscurity.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I also did the first three games of NES Play Action Football today. No one else needs to start that one.

That's honestly my favourite football game on the NES, but playing a full 7 games will never be on my radar again after doing it once.  It really could've done with adjustable game length.