IGNORED

In honor of my late wife who loved these, what's your favorite version of A Christmas Carol/Scrooge?

Estil

My personal favorite is Mickey's Christmas Carol (I can't find a free version of it on YouTube) and boy did Mickey get screwed in this version...in the original Cratchit gets a full day off WITH pay!!  And he gets 2 1/2 shillings a day (or half crown)!

This is my wife's favorite, or at least one of the top ones:

Scrooge's Log...Stardate 41225.4... 😄 

I think this is the first one with a female Scrooge...trigger warning at 22:30 for all my fellow cat lovers :,( 

Edited by Estil

Scrooged

It has Bill Murray, Bobcat Goldthwait, Buster Poindexter, Mabel King, and tons of others.

Patrick Stewart actually did a one person theatre performance of A Christmas Carol where he played all of the characters. It's actually amazing to watch if you can find it.

• Love 1

I'm pretty fond of the 1951 one.

If you want a different implementation of A Christmas Carol, the metal band Majestica did an album based on the story of A Christmas Carol. This one is my favorite of the album. I think it's something that lots of people can enjoy.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, doner24 said:

My favorite version is the live version played at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis every winter. For TV, I agree, Mickey is my favorite. Have watched it twice this season. 

Time to watch it again and show my little girl for the first time. 

IMG_1316.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doner24 said:

My favorite version is the live version played at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis every winter. For TV, I agree, Mickey is my favorite. Have watched it twice this season. 

Believe it or not I went to the Guthrie about once a year way back when on class field trips in high school - so roughly 64-70.  The one that impressed me the most was "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui" - which starred Robin Gammell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Scrooged

It has Bill Murray, Bobcat Goldthwait, Buster Poindexter, Mabel King, and tons of others.

Patrick Stewart actually did a one person theatre performance of A Christmas Carol where he played all of the characters. It's actually amazing to watch if you can find it.

Fun fact: That was the final movie shown in our local original Malco theater...which I think was among the oldest in the country at the time!  It opened on October 29, 1912 with the first showing being 1912 World Series highlights.  January 19, 1989 was the final day, which showed Scrooged.  New bigger theaters were built on our south side, and the original theater became Goldie's Best Little Opry House In Kentucky (it actually took them many years to get around to converting the MALCO lettering on top the signs to GOLDIE'S) then local celeb Beverly "Goldie" Payne retired a few years ago the old theater was bought and still used today by a local theater (stage play) group.

On a sadder note, a few months prior to that our local drive-in theater (it was on the west side) was thoughtlessly burned down by vandals, and did not reopen. 😞

2 hours ago, doner24 said:

Time to watch it again and show my little girl for the first time. 

IMG_1316.jpeg

You might want to cover her eyes for this part...in this version Scrooge doesn't just fall inside a grave, no sir!  Disney turns it up a few notches and has him falling into hell!!

1 hour ago, RH said:

Not a popular opinion but we’re a house of Muppet nerds, so I’m going to go with A Muppet Christmas Carol.

I’m sure the one with Patrick Stewart would be way up on my list too, but since I’ve not seen it, I can’t place it.

I honestly think that Muppet Christmas Carol is one of the very best adaptations of the original story ever made.  I would rank it very high if not first.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, RH said:

Not a popular opinion but we’re a house of Muppet nerds, so I’m going to go with A Muppet Christmas Carol.

I’m sure the one with Patrick Stewart would be way up on my list too, but since I’ve not seen it, I can’t place it.

Well get whoever your second-in-command is, has him put the DVD in and say, make it so, Number One!  Or after he puts in the DVD he can say course plotted and ready sir... and then you say engage! 😄 

I always thought this scene was really cute...I mean Scrooge does kinda have a point!  Though if the charity collectors were out of a job as a result, wouldn't that count as being poor and thus there would in fact still be a need to collect money for the poor?