IGNORED

List of Aftermarket N64 releases (Please help contribute!)

OptOut

Having already collected all the legit officially licensed N64 games, I often find myself pining for further collecting opportunities on the N64. Unlike the NES there currently isn't a HUGE aftermarket/homebrew scene on the N64, but there is certainly more and more activity on this front as time goes by. I have already managed to collect a small number of aftermarket N64 games, and I'm really hoping there are some more out there, so if you know of any please contribute to the list below!

Here are the ones I already have: 

Limited Run Shadows of the Empire

Trader Games - STAR WARS SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE CLASSIC EDITION (LIMITED RUN)  NINTENDO 64 USA NEW on Nintendo 64

Limited Run Pod Racer

Trader Games - STAR WARS EPISODE 1 RACER CLASSIC EDITION NINTENDO 64 (N64)  NTSC-USA (NEUF - NEW) - (LIMITED RUN COLLECTION) on N

Piko Interactive 40 Winks

40 Winks- N64 (NTSC AVAILABLE

Remute R64 music album

Remute R64 - Nintendo 64 Audio Music Album Cartridge | eBay

Xeno Crisis

2 Minutes of Gameplay - Xeno Crisis - Nintendo 64 (4k HD) #n64 - YouTube

Another that I am aware of but haven't purchased yet is the Piko/Limited Run Glover (apparently there are plans for Piko to finish and released Glover 2 at some point, so if they do I'll probably pick up that and this one together):

N64

Big2small contributed by @Scrobins

Big2small N64 Indie Game - Etsy Canada

Oh, here's another Limited Run game I missed, Worms Armageddon:

Worms Armageddon (N64) – Limited Run Games

So, these are the ones I am aware of. I'm not including any games that are ROM-hacks, unreleased prototypes, Alibaba bootlegs or any other games that infringe on the original copyright and trademark holders. They have to be either fully original productions, such as Xeno Crisis and Remute R64, or fully licensed reproductions, such as the Limited Run and Piko interactive games.

If anyone is aware of any other games that fit these criteria, or are aware of any coming out in the future, please help out by contributing below! Thanks! 😄

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Scrobins said:

I think it’s out, it’s just stuck with that webpage name because it was originally a pre-sale. 

Alright, I just put the order in, the checkout process was very convenient as I could use my PayPal balance to pay! If you hear of any more N64 games coming down the grapevine, please continue to update this thread! 😊

I am also thinking about putting an order in for that Glover rerelease, but it doesn't really seem worthwhile ATM. I already have the regular OG Glover and played through it quite recently, so it's not a huge priority to me. I did hear rumours that they are polishing up the unreleased sequel to give that a proper release, so obviously I would pounce on that the moment they announced it. But, I haven't heard any updates on that for a long time, so maybe it isn't happening anymore? 🤔

18 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I am also thinking about putting an order in for that Glover rerelease

Eh, I just did a search for ANY news whatsoever on progress on Glover 2, and came up with absolutely nothing. So, I figured I would just order the Glover rerelease now, just to make sure I don't miss it, and then wait and see on Glover 2. I'm not massively excited about it, but I know I would be unhappy if I waited too long and couldn't get it, so there we go. 🤷‍♂️

Man, Worms Armageddon is gonna suck for me to get. None left on the Limited Run website, only Ebay. The mark-up isn't TOO bad, 20 or 30 bucks... but the shipping is KILLER. Might need to wait on this one till I got some other stuff I wanna order from the States, bundle up the shipping... 😬

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Man, Worms Armageddon is gonna suck for me to get. None left on the Limited Run website, only Ebay. The mark-up isn't TOO bad, 20 or 30 bucks... but the shipping is KILLER. Might need to wait on this one till I got some other stuff I wanna order from the States, bundle up the shipping... 😬

Yeah I feel this pain, gifts from my family have become fewer and fewer over the years due to this...or maybe I've been away for so long they've forgotten about me 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah I feel this pain, gifts from my family have become fewer and fewer over the years due to this...or maybe I've been away for so long they've forgotten about me 

Well, international shipping in general has gone up, for sure. However, on Ebay there is an even BIGGER problem, which is that all the international packages need to be delivered through their insane international shipping program.  Ordinary international shipping for an item from US to Taiwan is something in the range of 15 to 20 bucks, but the mandatory Ebay shipping program STARTS at like 30 plus already!

It's not worth it, at all, especially when so many sellers offer free shipping within the US. As long as you have someone there who can hold stuff for you, it's almost always the better option just to do that.

9 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Let us know what you think of that game. It’s pretty pricey but if the review is good I think I’ll pick it up.

Will do!

I also recommend the Piko release of 40 Winks, it's basically like playing an N64 game that never was! And, if you haven't already picked up Xeno Crisis on one of the many other systems it's been released on, I would recommend the N64 version of that too. The D-pad and C-buttons allow for twin-stick style play, so you can move and shoot in opposing directions at the same time, and it looks and sounds crisp af on the 64! 😎

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OptOut said:

Well, international shipping in general has gone up, for sure. However, on Ebay there is an even BIGGER problem, which is that all the international packages need to be delivered through their insane international shipping program.  Ordinary international shipping for an item from US to Taiwan is something in the range of 15 to 20 bucks, but the mandatory Ebay shipping program STARTS at like 30 plus already!

It's not worth it, at all, especially when so many sellers offer free shipping within the US. As long as you have someone there who can hold stuff for you, it's almost always the better option just to do that.

Well it depends on the price, a medium parcel is gonna cost at least $45-75 off of eBay, but yeah that ebay shipping program sucks ass too.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, SteelGeneral said:

On the new releases front I know Byteswap Labs is partnering with Piko Interactive to complete Dragon Sword and release it on N64. Right now they're targeting a 2024 release. 

Good stuff! I remember reading a preview of this game when I was a kid, certainly a lot of the screenshots I found online are ringing a bell:

Unreleased N64 Game Dragon Sword Might Finally Be Completed 20 Years Later  | Nintendo Life

Dragon Sword 64 (1998) by Interactive Studios N64 game

Dragon Sword 64 [N64 Unreleased - 2nd Prototype] - Boss Highlight #3: Giant  Boss - YouTube

I am REALLY happy and excited to see a bunch of lost N64 originals getting a second chance to shine in the modern day, hopefully we will eventually see many more of the abandoned games getting finished up and released! This seems to be a very deep well to draw from actually, as a lot of promising N64 games were cancelled for a variety of reasons back in the day. I'll absolutely be on the lookout for this one once it's ready!!!! 😄

On 12/17/2023 at 12:34 AM, twiztor said:

i thought i remembered that somebody was releasing Dinosaur Planet, but after looking for it, i think i just mis-remembered from when a late stage build was leaked out. guess i can't contribute. i actually thought there would be a lot more than what's available.

Yeah, it was a leak from when the Rare archives were hacked a few years back! Of course, I would LOVE to be able to add a game like that to the list, I was never fully satisfied with the version of the game we eventually got on the GameCube. I think it would have suited the original system a lot better, with the original characters and story etc.

But, as I said previously, I don't want to pad this list out with a bunch of hacks and demos and mods and stuff, I just want to keep it to authorised releases and originals.

7 hours ago, OptOut said:

But, as I said previously, I don't want to pad this list out with a bunch of hacks and demos and mods and stuff, I just want to keep it to authorised releases and originals.

Perhaps a better way to do it would be to make a list and break it into categories, namely the following:

Homebrew/ Originals

Authorized Rereleases

Unfinished Dumped and Reproed Prototypes

Period Hacks from back in the day give or take a year (say 2004 and before or something, to cover developing regions)

This would not limit your list to stuff that isn't particularly worthy of being documented and collected, imo, but also allow for a slightly broader list of non kosher N64 stuff to be documented and collected by hardcore collectors.

Just a suggestion from a guy who has been faced with such things himself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Perhaps a better way to do it would be to make a list and break it into categories, namely the following:

Homebrew/ Originals

Authorized Rereleases

Unfinished Dumped and Reproed Prototypes

Period Hacks from back in the day give or take a year (say 2004 and before or something, to cover developing regions)

This would not limit your list to stuff that isn't particularly worthy of being documented and collected, imo, but also allow for a slightly broader list of non kosher N64 stuff to be documented and collected by hardcore collectors.

Just a suggestion from a guy who has been faced with such things himself.

I would be interested to see a list of unauthorized stuff like this, hacks, proto dumps, bootlegs, translations etc.

But, that list could actually amount into the hundreds, even without the Alibaba bootlegs of retail game releases. It's a big job, and seeing as I don't currently collect those types of game, it's kinda outside the scope of my current interests.

It's definitely something that could be done at some point, although I know of several individual releases of certain hacks where maybe only one or two copies even exist in physical form, so it would be difficult to track them all!

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

I would be interested to see a list of unauthorized stuff like this, hacks, proto dumps, bootlegs, translations etc.

But, that list could actually amount into the hundreds, even without the Alibaba bootlegs of retail game releases. It's a big job, and seeing as I don't currently collect those types of game, it's kinda outside the scope of my current interests.

It's definitely something that could be done at some point, although I know of several individual releases of certain hacks where maybe only one or two copies even exist in physical form, so it would be difficult to track them all!

We're talking about three release