IGNORED

List of Aftermarket N64 releases (Please help contribute!)

OptOut

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm... I've gotten hold of my copy of Big2Small and I'm sorry to say it's been a very disappointing experience.

I managed to make my way through the first couple of puzzles, until I reached the final puzzle of the first world.

After beating that level, the game crashes as soon as my character enters the overworld screen.

I tried several times to progress past that point, including starting a new save file, and it would always crash to this fault screen:

IMG20240114204103.jpg.2a2f03c9c777ffb0b67b4514f75ea5f0.jpg

IMG20240114204109.jpg.48907e781997907b6c4eacc7a821b486.jpg

Unless there are any cheats that can help me to bypass that level, or some other strategy to fix this issue, I may be unable to playthrough this game as I intended.

I will be contacting the developer, as I bought it directly from their site, but other than that I'm pretty bummed tbh.

• Wow! 1

57 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Hmmm... I've gotten hold of my copy of Big2Small and I'm sorry to say it's been a very disappointing experience.

I managed to make my way through the first couple of puzzles, until I reached the final puzzle of the first world.

After beating that level, the game crashes as soon as my character enters the overworld screen.

I tried several times to progress past that point, including starting a new save file, and it would always crash to this fault screen:

IMG20240114204103.jpg.2a2f03c9c777ffb0b67b4514f75ea5f0.jpg

IMG20240114204109.jpg.48907e781997907b6c4eacc7a821b486.jpg

Unless there are any cheats that can help me to bypass that level, or some other strategy to fix this issue, I may be unable to playthrough this game as I intended.

I will be contacting the developer, as I bought it directly from their site, but other than that I'm pretty bummed tbh.

@Scrobins not sure if you have any idea what I might be able to do to remedy this situation?

Do you have any lines of contact with the dev for this game?

Moderator · Posted
1 minute ago, OptOut said:

@Scrobins not sure if you have any idea what I might be able to do to remedy this situation?

Do you have any lines of contact with the dev for this game?

I would recommend reaching out to Roo, either on his website or on Twitter. I’ve known him to be pretty responsive.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

I would recommend reaching out to Roo, either on his website or on Twitter. I’ve known him to be pretty responsive.

Cool, I shot him an email to the address linked in my order confirmation, so I'll be sure to update here as things develop! 🙂

7 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

@OptOutofficially the only person to ever play a homebrew game they bought?

Amusing enough, some time are 2016/17 I posted a question on NA asking if anyone had ever played the Final Fantasy VII demake, because I was trying to beat on a homebrew copy I’d purchased.

I pretty much got the same general response.

3 hours ago, RH said:

Amusing enough, some time are 2016/17 I posted a question on NA asking if anyone had ever played the Final Fantasy VII demake, because I was trying to beat on a homebrew copy I’d purchased.

A couple years before that, I played the Pokemon yellow demake and it broke like 15 hours into the game and found out no one actually played the game last the 5th gym at the time lol I still have the game and might give it another shot one day but what a bummer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RH said:

17 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

A couple years before that, I played the Pokemon yellow demake and it broke like 15 hours into the game and found out no one actually played the game last the 5th gym at the time lol I still have the game and might give it another shot one day but what a bummer.

Well these were hacks of Chinese -made games, scrubbed of their Chineseness and then profited on greatly by repro folks.

On 12/18/2023 at 11:59 AM, OptOut said:

Which ones?

For bootlegs/hacks off the top of my head there was a hack of ISS64 by Twin eagles Group, and there was a multicart that has some NES games on it. Other than that I don't think the N64 had much of note in terms of that sort of stuff

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well these were hacks of Chinese -made games, scrubbed of their Chineseness and then profited on greatly by repro folks.

If "Chineseness" translates to "shitty-ness" lol. The original FF7 "demake" by ShenZhen Nanjing Technology sucked ass, and a dude took like 4 years using it as a base for making an actually decent version of the game.

It's kinda funny to point the finger at people doing a hack of a game for which the original creators really had no right to make in the first place.

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, Gloves said:

If "Chineseness" translates to "shitty-ness" lol. The original FF7 "demake" by ShenZhen Nanjing Technology sucked ass, and a dude took like 4 years using it as a base for making an actually decent version of the game.

It's kinda funny to point the finger at people doing a hack of a game for which the original creators really had no right to make in the first place.

Well yeah the game would suck ass if you couldn't read Chinese.

So stealing someone else's work is okay, if it's a work that the other guy didn't have rights to? Leisure Suit Larry NES port hack, anyone? 

Edit: Oh and hacked it so it couldn't be completed, that sounds like an upgrade.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ankos said:

For bootlegs/hacks off the top of my head there was a hack of ISS64 by Twin eagles Group, and there was a multicart that has some NES games on it. Other than that I don't think the N64 had much of note in terms of that sort of stuff

Yeah I've seen a few down in those parts, not a lot though. I should check my old hard drive archives one of these days.

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

So stealing someone else's work is okay, if it's a work that the other guy didn't have rights to? Leisure Suit Larry NES port hack, anyone? 

A ton of work went into the final release of the ROM hack of Pokemon. Lugia2009 stood more on the shoulders of giants than stole their work and claimed it was theirs. Someone made a huge list of the changes made. Apparently beat the game too. And now I think my game didn't break but it was actually that the routes I thought I had to take didn't exist.

https://smashboards.com/threads/pokemon-yellow-nes.432925/

4 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

A ton of work went into the final release of the ROM hack of Pokemon. Lugia2009 stood more on the shoulders of giants than stole their work and claimed it was theirs. Someone made a huge list of the changes made. Apparently beat the game too. And now I think my game didn't break but it was actually that the routes I thought I had to take didn't exist.

https://smashboards.com/threads/pokemon-yellow-nes.432925/

A ton of work went into the original demake release too, though, though people like to conveniently ignore that fact.

Now back to the N64 brew.

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well yeah the game would suck ass if you couldn't read Chinese.

People who could read Chinese objectively reviewed it as a poor showing. Which is par for the course with Chinese bootlegs, so colour me unsurprised.

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

A ton of work went into the original demake release too, though, though people like to conveniently ignore that fact.

Literally nobody said anything at all about that being the case or not. You can work hard and still put out garbage, it happens all the time.

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

People who could read Chinese objectively reviewed it as a poor showing. Which is par for the course with Chinese bootlegs, so colour me unsurprised.

Give me an effing break, western kids review Chinese games for YT subs and likes review the games as garbage. We've discussed this for years, and a large portion of the games coming out of Taiwan (and later China) were phenomenal.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Give me an effing break, western kids review Chinese games for YT subs and likes review the games as garbage. We've discussed this for years, and a large portion of the games coming out of Taiwan (and later China) were phenomenal.

We have discussed this for years, largely because you self-insert into half the threads on the site and turn them into discussing it. In all these years, I've yet to see one of these "phenomenal" games; can you point me to one, please?

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

We have discussed this for years, largely because you self-insert into half the threads on the site and turn them into discussing it. In all these years, I've yet to see one of these "phenomenal" games; can you point me to one, please?

I could do so, but I don't want to disrespect OptOut's thread. One initial comment of mine, which required no responses, has suddenly turned into an unnecessary back and forth. 

1 hour ago, Ankos said:

Thanks for the suggestions, there are actually a TON of hacks floating around for the N64 these days. I'm not including those on my list though, only original releases and licensed reproductions.

14 hours ago, Scrobins said:

Roo got back to me pretty quick! He said he'd send me another cart, seems like a great guy! 😊

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, fcgamer said:

I could do so, but I don't want to disrespect OptOut's thread. One initial comment of mine, which required no responses, has suddenly turned into an unnecessary back and forth. 

You disrespected it with your initial comment. Don't make comments if you're not wanting responses.

But yes - since you're incapable of providing a single example of a phenomenal bootleg, best to let the conversation get back to the actual intent of the topic.

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Thanks for the suggestions, there are actually a TON of hacks floating around for the N64 these days. I'm not including those on my list though, only original releases and licensed reproductions.

Roo got back to me pretty quick! He said he'd send me another cart, seems like a great guy! 😊

Ah. I should've been more clear in my previous post, Twin Eagles Groups specifically made hacks to put on pirate carts, they weren't making hacks that other people did repros of

Edited by Ankos
typo

3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

You disrespected it with your initial comment. Don't make comments if you're not wanting responses.

But yes - since you're incapable of providing a single example of a phenomenal bootleg, best to let the conversation get back to the actual intent of the topic.

Fuckin hell guys, get a room. 🙄

• Agree 1

Just now, Ankos said:

Ah. I should've been more clear in my previous post, Twin Eagles Groups specifically made hacks to put on pirate carts, they weren't making hack that other people did repros of

I have heard and seen a few pictures of some early N64 bootlegs out of Hong Kong, but I understand they are extra-ordinarily rare. I believe most N64 piracy done back in the day was using either Bung's Dr.V hardware, or the Z64 zip disks. Even those were very uncommon to see though, I never actually knew anyone who used those methods to pirate N64 games back in the day. Meanwhile, people were passing around burnt PS1 and Dreamcast discs like candy, so I reckon Nintendo did pretty well on the piracy protection for this system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... After reaching out to Roo to get my Big2Small replacement and his initial response, I tried contacting him again to follow up and it's been radio silence since...

I don't want to hassle the dude, I'm sure he's busy, but it's kinda frustrating not knowing whether I'm gonna be seeing a working copy of this game any time soon. 😕

• Sad 2