IGNORED

New Jet Set Radio, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and Crazy Taxi

fox

Which are you interested in?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you interested in?

I'm a little worried about who might actually be developing these games.

The new JSR leaked a few years ago (and has been speculated vaporware by many), and I think it looks really good. I'm more interested in where Sega would take a new JSR, than a "knockoff" like Cyberfunk.

A 3D Golden Axe could potentially be glorious as well, it's probably the newly announced title I'm most excited for, even if there's a good chance it might just be glorious garbage.

I can't remember the last time, decade?? even, when a video like this I actually cared about not only most of what's in it, but all of what's in it.

A friend of mine slipped me a link to this later yesterday and the nods they did from start to the last second was insane and not just the games.  It was playing off the non-jerkoff great periods of advertising they did in previous decades.  The next level bit, the eye, the scream... the whole scene in the place with the gentle nods of what to come if you went into the video blind to have that cabinet go insane.

All of those even as brief as it is was like a greatest hits of what many would likely shove most/all into their top 10 older franchises and seemingly so far, done well.  Shinobi has this stider/metroid dread/sotn/dead cells vibe.  The two brawlers are in fine form so far and look appealing at least.  Jet Set looks potentially to just be as excellent as maybe the original was too.  And Crazy Taxi is back hard core seemingly adding in some NFS3 hot pursuit style thing to it with that cop car.

Throw this in with that release last month from the designer of Space Harrier who put out Air Twister on steam which is basically that game in mostly anything but name and it's a girl vs a guy and things are changing.  Maybe Sega just needed time off to right the ship and exploit their solid IP better than they have in a very long time.  In a way it felt like the cares they had in their better moments of the 90s once more from the 16bit/DC side of things.

• Like 1

I'm excited for all of them but also scared that SEGA will not do them justice. There is a world of difference between a polished experience and a semi-jank experience, and I feel like the modern SEGA development often results in the semi-jank experience. Fingers crossed that they're not just 6-7/10 games that you feel lukewarm about but a solid return to form with a homerun or two.

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
On 12/8/2023 at 2:50 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

not that we don't have a billion games like that coming out every year nowadays.

This is the thing about basically any of these old IP. The only thing they have going for them is the name recognition, something that the people selling the thing are counting on, not something we can count on with regard to quality. Who's been sat around since the last Golden Axe release for a new one, fingers in ears going "LALALALA I can't hear you!!!" the whole time, waiting for a new game in the series and ignoring the existence of the many games which have come along since, improving on the concept?

*looks around at the members of this community*

... oh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, sp1nz said:

I'm excited for all of them but also scared that SEGA will not do them justice. There is a world of difference between a polished experience and a semi-jank experience, and I feel like the modern SEGA development often results in the semi-jank experience. Fingers crossed that they're not just 6-7/10 games that you feel lukewarm about but a solid return to form with a homerun or two.

Hoping for semi-jank myself. I don't need these franchises to join in the ranks of samey streamlined AAA titles.