IGNORED

Live-action Legend of Zelda film confirmed to be in production.

ZeldaFreak

10 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If he doesn't say "Excuse me, Princess" at some point, I'll be thoroughly disappointed. 😛

They will definitely throw that in. If there is only moment of humor or callback it would be that. And there will definitely be, like, at least five. 

45 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Link in the new movie:

image.png

um

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Still the best video in existence for the Zelda series is this 4 minute fan film:

that is not better. Like, that Link looks like Ted-version Sonic or Link Mask Link in that.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I mean I'd love to see some awesome practical effects, but there's plenty of things in the franchise that I think would only really look good using CGI. I'd have to imagine it'll be good CGI too since this movie's probably gonna have a pretty sizeable budget I'd have to imagine. But yeah, bad actors would definitely drag it down quite a bit, no arguments there, haha.

And yeah, I think I'm probably in the minority (not just here, in general) that I'm actually super super glad they're going the live-action route, I've wanted that for as long as I can remember and I really want to see how this turns out. I also think it's good since it gives it a more distinct identity separate from the Mario Bros. movie, rather than them both being animated. Like I said earlier, I just hope the tone will also be different to further distinguish itself.

Oh yeah definitely. I guess I just meant I don't want it to be like the Marvel movies where a lot of scenes it just feels like they're constantly walking and jumping in front of a green screen and they add all the CGI later. I think stuff like original LOTR got a right balance.

If they were to do an anime I'd love to see it done by someone like Studio Ghibli. But that's just wishful thinking 😆

1 hour ago, Link said:

“Wes Ball, director of the new Planet Of the Apes movie that seemingly came out of nowhere last week (plus the Maze Runner movies)… with Miyamoto and regular Hollywood franchise guy Avi Arad on board as producers. “

Haven't seen the new Planet of the Apes (didn't even know there was one) or Maze Runner. They any good? I checked out Avi Arad and it looks like he's produced a lot of Marvel stuff, I guess that's good from an experience point of view but I also find them to very generic and I'm sort of over Marvel/DC stuff after End Game. So hopefully he doesn't turn the movies into a movie like that. Miyamoto is a good sign but I guess it really depends how much of an input he really gets.

I'll keep my expectations low and I may walk away at least a little surprised 🙂 Usually the people that end up hating these movies are the ones that hype it up so much in their head that it can never live up to an unrealistic vision they had for it. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, Brickman said:

1: Oh yeah definitely. I guess I just meant I don't want it to be like the Marvel movies where a lot of scenes it just feels like they're constantly walking and jumping in front of a green screen and they add all the CGI later. I think stuff like original LOTR got a right balance.

2: If they were to do an anime I'd love to see it done by someone like Studio Ghibli. But that's just wishful thinking 😆

3: Haven't seen the new Planet of the Apes (didn't even know there was one) or Maze Runner. They any good? I checked out Avi Arad and it looks like he's produced a lot of Marvel stuff, I guess that's good from an experience point of view but I also find them to very generic and I'm sort of over Marvel/DC stuff after End Game. So hopefully he doesn't turn the movies into a movie like that. Miyamoto is a good sign but I guess it really depends how much of an input he really gets.

1: For sure. Speaking of actually, absolute pipe dream, best case scenario for this film (for me, at least) would be a LotR/The Hobbit-style odyssey. If they somehow managed to pull that off, I mean...

giphy.gif

2: Yeah, a more anime style for the film definitely would've been interesting as well. If they didn't go for live-action, that's what I would've hoped for I think.

3: Really? I mean, it's the fourth in the series by this point, it's super popular and (as far as I've heard) the first three are all fantastic films.

8bb95a58e5aa6b2d03e99b6e7cac2cec.png

I believe he's only directed the fourth film in the series though, which hasn't come out yet so we'll see if it's good. As for Maze Runner, I haven't seen them either but from what I've heard, the films themselves are... eh, they're OK, but they're directed very very well, which is good.

As for Avi Arad, as far as I've heard Nintendo was looking over Illumination's shoulder throughout the entire making of the Mario movie, and I'd have to imagine it'll be a similar situation here, so I'm not personally too concerned about something like one bad producer ruining the whole thing since I have to imagine Nintendo, at the end of the day, is gonna have the final say on major decisions. We'll see though!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Haven't seen the new Planet of the Apes (didn't even know there was one) or Maze Runner. They any good?

I haven’t seen them either. Like the article I quoted, I just heard about the new Apes movie, and I haven’t seen any prior, so I have no frame of reference except that it’s a classic sci-fi franchise with large gaps in generational entries. 

As for Maze Runner. I saw a commercial or two. They looked pretty cool, but had poor critical reception. 

24 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

1: For sure. Speaking of actually, absolute pipe dream, best case scenario for this film (for me, at least) would be a LotR/The Hobbit-style odyssey. If they somehow managed to pull that off, I mean...

giphy.gif

Mario made a BILLION dollars. We've got at minimum of 8 movies ahead of us for 8 temples, plus a finale movie split into two parts.

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Mario made a BILLION dollars. We've got at minimum of 8 movies ahead of us for 8 temples, plus a finale movie split into two parts.

If I live in the timeline where that happens it'll have made all the bad things I've experienced in life up to this point worth it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Still the best video in existence for the Zelda series is this 4 minute fan film:

I won't hold my breath, but imagine if it was this level of quality, I could die happy.

God I loved this when it came out.

This is just proof that Majora's Mask is genuinely the BEST Zelda story.

A happy forest child becoming a world destroying villain by becoming possessed by a demonic mask who can only be stopped by a time traveling hero who fell into this alternate dimension? I MEAN WTF.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

giphy.gif

2: Yeah, a more anime style for the film definitely would've been interesting as well. If they didn't go for live-action, that's what I would've hoped for I think.

3: Really? I mean, it's the fourth in the series by this point, it's super popular and (as far as I've heard) the first three are all fantastic films.

8bb95a58e5aa6b2d03e99b6e7cac2cec.png

I believe he's only directed the fourth film in the series though, which hasn't come out yet so we'll see if it's good. As for Maze Runner, I haven't seen them either but from what I've heard, the films themselves are... eh, they're OK, but they're directed very very well, which is good.

As for Avi Arad, as far as I've heard Nintendo was looking over Illumination's shoulder throughout the entire making of the Mario movie, and I'd have to imagine it'll be a similar situation here, so I'm not personally too concerned about something like one bad producer ruining the whole thing since I have to imagine Nintendo, at the end of the day, is gonna have the final say on major decisions. We'll see though!

I've seen all the Planet of the Apes movies including the original (still the best) and loved them all, but I hadn't heard of a new one is what I meant. 

A LOTR trilogy type for LoZ would be absolutely epic! That would be my dream but I know that won't happen, especially in this landscape where most studios aren't looking to spend a lot.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Brickman said:

I've seen all the Planet of the Apes movies including the original (still the best) and loved them all, but I hadn't heard of a new one is what I meant.

Ah OK, gotcha, I thought you meant you hadn't heard of the reboot series at all.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

God I loved this when it came out.

This is just proof that Majora's Mask is genuinely the BEST Zelda story.

A happy forest child becoming a world destroying villain by becoming possessed by a demonic mask who can only be stopped by a time traveling hero who fell into this alternate dimension? I MEAN WTF.

It does SO MUCH for the lore of the series as a whole it's insane.

• Agree 1

On 11/7/2023 at 6:41 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

We'll see. Personally I think so, and I'm alright with that because, let's be real here, a silent protagonist simply does not work nearly as well in any other medium besides a video game, it just doesn't. It's definitely not impossible, and they could still go in the silent direction (I'd be impressed if they pulled it off honestly) but more than likely he will have dialogue, and honestly for a movie or show adaptation of this franchise, I really don't think there's anything wrong with that. When gameplay is no longer present, dialogue becomes much much much more important.

No matter what I'm gonna go in to it open-minded, personally I absolutely do not mind whatsoever if they make big changes (such as Link speaking) so long as it's in service of the film being better than if they didn't make that change.

Link speaking absolutely could work. I've been reading the Twilight Princess manga lately and it's very good. Part of that is seeing Link's character develop through dialogue. I think it could very well work in a movie. 

Now I wonder if it's going to be an adaptation or original story. 

• Agree 1

On 11/7/2023 at 10:31 PM, Brickman said:

A LOTR trilogy type for LoZ would be absolutely epic! That would be my dream but I know that won't happen, especially in this landscape where most studios aren't looking to spend a lot.

So... did you enjoy the one with Marky Mark that came out around 2000?  I will admit I had no clue they did a reboot beyond that one, but there's a good chance I wrote off all future movies as soon as they mentally crossed my path because of the Mark Wahlburg one.  I should probably binge these because as a kid I LOVED PotA.  They would show them at night on the Sci-Fi channel a lot, and would watch them again and again.

2 hours ago, DarkTone said:

You could place a steaming pile of shit on screen for 2 hours, zelda fans would love it. 

Lord knows what happens when someone gives something zelda related less than 9/10...

This isn't quite true.  What would really happen is the fans would hate it but they'd still go see it, maybe even 2x, just because as much as they may hate it, at least it'd be "something".

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a safe movie, just like the SMB movie, but how are they going to play that?  SMB had a bajillion touchstones with a more modern, Mario story (practically ripped straight from Odyssey), but in this one are they going to have callbacks and references from every game?  I don't know.  Will link be a "boy" saving a young princess?  Probably not, but I think the age of him and Zelda will be a bit indiscernible on purpose.  You know, take a 20-something Chalamet-type actor and just make them look "boyish".

I could see this mostly being a bright and colorful adventure, until the end when we get to Ganon's Keep and for the last 15-20 minutes it's battling the darkness.  Hyrule is a fun and bright place.  We'll certainly see the full cast of supporting characters like Purah and groups like the Geruda, Goron's and the Zora. Oh, and Epona needs to be in it.  Talon would be cool since he was a way to "sneak" Mario into the game, and I'd personally over look a LOT of problems if they some how sneaked in a claw-game with a Yoshi in it.

I think this could be a visually spectacular movie.  In this one, I hope they make the story a little (and I mean a little) more original than SMB was.  Zelda games are all that way.  Often, you need to save the princess from Ganon, but the story that pulls the whole quest together is different from game to game.   I wouldn't mind a save-Zelda-from-Ganon story, but some how make it new and unique like what ever the next Zelda game will be like.

3 hours ago, DarkTone said:

You could place a steaming pile of shit on screen for 2 hours, zelda fans would love it. 

Lord knows what happens when someone gives something zelda related less than 9/10...

Oh come on, don't even joke like that.

I don't think it's even possible to give a Zeldo less than a 9/10. Unless it's Spirit Tracks, or the CD-i games....8.9/10.

4 hours ago, RH said:

So... did you enjoy the one with Marky Mark that came out around 2000?  I will admit I had no clue they did a reboot beyond that one, but there's a good chance I wrote off all future movies as soon as they mentally crossed my path because of the Mark Wahlburg one.  I should probably binge these because as a kid I LOVED PotA.  They would show them at night on the Sci-Fi channel a lot, and would watch them again and again.

Oh yeah I had forgotten about that one. No I didn’t like that one and I don’t think it did very well. Mark Wahlburg is a bad actor and I don’t know how he still gets jobs. 

Rise of the Planet of the apes is the good trilogy and I believe it’s meant to act as a prequel.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:15 PM, DefaultGen said:

When you count dvd/Blu-ray/post box office sales, it was closer to $1.5B

Not only that, but they were also able to keep costs down. Often times lead actors can get a percentage of movie revenue up to 10% for signing. Since Mario movie was only voice actors, Chris Pratt took the job for $5M which is ~1/3rd of one percent of the movie revenue