IGNORED

Live-action Legend of Zelda film confirmed to be in production.

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted

Holy. Shit.

...I'm praying to whatever gods or deities that are up there that this at least turns out to be decent, I've been saying my whole life how much potential a live-action Zelda movie or show could have. I would say I'm excited, but honestly I'd say more so than that I'm terrified they're gonna find some way to fuck it up, because I've been wanting this for as long as I can remember, but I honestly never thought it would actually become a reality, so if this turns out bad I'm legitimately going to be a little devastated, haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Holy. Shit.

...I'm praying to whatever gods or deities that are up there that this at least turns out to be decent, I've been saying my whole life how much potential a live-action Zelda movie or show could have. I would say I'm excited, but honestly I'd say more so than that I'm terrified they're gonna find some way to fuck it up, because I've been wanting this for as long as I can remember, but I honestly never thought it would actually become a reality, so if this turns out bad I'm legitimately going to be a little devastated, haha.

Live action? Oh boy. Something CGI like the recent super Mario would have made sense because it still feels like a video game. Hopefully Miyamoto being involved keeps it from taking a turn into live action Super Mario lmao

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, a3quit4s said:

Live action? Oh boy. Something CGI like the recent super Mario would have made sense because it still feels like a video game. Hopefully Miyamoto being involved keeps it from taking a turn into live action Super Mario lmao

I'm actually glad it's alive-action, as I've been saying for years how much potential a live-action adaptation of Legend of Zelda could have if the tone is right and they play their cards right. Something like a live-action Mario Bros. never made sense and never would've worked, but a live-action Legend of Zelda absolutely could work. It's been done VERY well before in various short films and whatnot.

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm actually glad it's alive-action, as I've been saying for years how much potential a live-action adaptation of Legend of Zelda could have if the tone is right and they play their cards right. Something like a live-action Mario Bros. never made sense and never would've worked, but a live-action Legend of Zelda absolutely could work. It's been done VERY well before in various short films and whatnot.

Yeah but is Link gonna talk because if he does the movie is ruined 🤣😂

If it also doesn’t start with Link waking up, failure

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Yeah but is Link gonna talk because if he does the movie is ruined 🤣😂

We'll see. Personally I think so, and I'm alright with that because, let's be real here, a silent protagonist simply does not work nearly as well in any other medium besides a video game, it just doesn't. It's definitely not impossible, and they could still go in the silent direction (I'd be impressed if they pulled it off honestly) but more than likely he will have dialogue, and honestly for a movie or show adaptation of this franchise, I really don't think there's anything wrong with that. When gameplay is no longer present, dialogue becomes much much much more important.

No matter what I'm gonna go in to it open-minded, personally I absolutely do not mind whatsoever if they make big changes (such as Link speaking) so long as it's in service of the film being better than if they didn't make that change.

• Like 1

keanu reeves is the narrator who is reading his princess loving daughter/granddaughter a bedtime story called “the legend of zelda”

He keeps changing the details and tone of the story to make it more exciting.  It goes back and forth between an edgy grimdark action revenge story like the matrix/John wick to a slacker comedy like Bill and Ted and the 80s animated series.  The girl will call out when he starts going too off the rails with overly exaggerated versions of events.  Lots of shifting animation styles and references to the various games both dark and cartoony as unique re-tellings of the “Legend.”

(copy pasta from the other thread, still could do all the same type of things in live action)

• Like 1

I came to post about this. 

https://www.avclub.com/nintendo-live-action-legend-of-zelda-movie-1851000854

hopefully everyone here knows what they’re doing. (That hope is based largely on the assumption that nobody involved could possibly think that Chris Pratt should play Link.) Then again, he does sometimes have blonde-ish hair, and Link famously never really speaks anyway... How is Pratt with a sword? And how does he look in a little green tunic with a long hat? We might be onto something here...

Pretend I posted a new thread about this, and @Gloves closed it while pointing me here but not before I said 

jessica jones page GIF

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, fox said:

keanu reeves is the narrator who is reading his princess loving daughter/granddaughter a bedtime story called “the legend of zelda”

He keeps changing the details and tone of the story to make it more exciting.  It goes back and forth between an edgy grimdark action revenge story like the matrix/John wick to a slacker comedy like Bill and Ted and the 80s animated series.  The girl will call out when he starts going too off the rails with overly exaggerated versions of events.  Lots of shifting animation styles and references to the various games both dark and cartoony as unique re-tellings of the “Legend.”

(copy pasta from the other thread, still could do all the same type of things in live action)

I can definitely see how some people would like that, but personally I wouldn't be a big fan, I'd prefer if they stick to one tone or genre. My personal preference would be something a bit grimdark like you said, kind of a Twilight Princess sort of tone, would be a nice contrast to the Mario movie's tone, but there's many other approaches they could take that could work just as well I'm sure. Just depends on what direction they want to take it in.

Link talks in the manga so I think it is only natural to have him talk in the movie, even if he doesn't do so in the games. The medium matters. But like Reed said, this was ultimately come down to who is directing and if the studios get too involved.

I'd love to see an animated movie more but a live action could work if it isn't full of CGI and bad actors.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I'd love to see an animated movie more but a live action could work if it isn't full of CGI and bad actors.

I mean I'd love to see some awesome practical effects, but there's plenty of things in the franchise that I think would only really look good using CGI. I'd have to imagine it'll be good CGI too since this movie's probably gonna have a pretty sizeable budget I'd have to imagine. But yeah, bad actors would definitely drag it down quite a bit, no arguments there, haha.

And yeah, I think I'm probably in the minority (not just here, in general) that I'm actually super super glad they're going the live-action route, I've wanted that for as long as I can remember and I really want to see how this turns out. I also think it's good since it gives it a more distinct identity separate from the Mario Bros. movie, rather than them both being animated. Like I said earlier, I just hope the tone will also be different to further distinguish itself.

11 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I can definitely see how some people would like that, but personally I wouldn't be a big fan, I'd prefer if they stick to one tone or genre. My personal preference would be something a bit grimdark like you said, kind of a Twilight Princess sort of tone, would be a nice contrast to the Mario movie's tone, but there's many other approaches they could take that could work just as well I'm sure. Just depends on what direction they want to take it in.

I think the biggest hurdle is tone, because it varies wildly from game to game.  You go too serious and dark and it is going to turn off a lot of casual movie goers.  You go too goofy and hardcore fans are going to be livid.  So it needs to somehow be both while honoring the legacy of the games.

9 minutes ago, Brickman said:

But like Reed said, this was ultimately come down to who is directing

19 minutes ago, Link said:

“Wes Ball, director of the new Planet Of the Apes movie that seemingly came out of nowhere last week (plus the Maze Runner movies)… with Miyamoto and regular Hollywood franchise guy Avi Arad on board as producers. “

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
Just now, fox said:

I think the biggest hurdle is tone, because it varies wildly from game to game.  You go too serious and dark and it is going to turn off a lot of casual movie goers.  You go too goofy and hardcore fans are going to be livid.  So it needs to somehow be both while honoring the legacy of the games.

I mean, honestly I do think the franchise overall has a fairly consistent tone actually, beyond just the different artstyles. I mean, this happens in Wind Waker, the most cutesy game in the whole franchise:

F5U3KL.gif

So I think they should be able to strike a balance, I don't think it would be too too difficult. My personal preference would just be erring more towards Twilight Princess than Wind Waker in tone, but either one would work I think.

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Still the best video in existence for the Zelda series is this 4 minute fan film:

I won't hold my breath, but imagine if it was this level of quality, I could die happy.

If this film ends up being even half as good as Terrible Fate, I will be happier than a pig in shit when I'm watching it in theaters, haha. Speaking of, that vid actually is a great example of the type of tone I would hope for from the film, personally speaking.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I think I'm probably in the minority (not just here, in general) that I'm actually super super glad they're going the live-action route, I've wanted that for as long as I can remember and I really want to see how this turns out. I also think it's good since it gives it a more distinct identity separate from the Mario Bros. movie, rather than them both being animated. Like I said earlier, I just hope the tone will also be different to further distinguish itself.

I for one agree. Yes, they have to do it right and not a Captain America 1990 (or SMB 1993) but, like, I’m pretty sure they know that by now. I have no fucking clue what to expect and it’s a lot easier to imagine an animated project, but I have to think they’re not gonna screw it up in this day and age. I look forward to seeing a Volvagia battle with the production values of a modern Marvel movie (and not a modern DC movie 😅). And great writing, and a journey-like feel with far-off climes.

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Link said:

a Volvagia battle with the production values of a modern Marvel movie (and not a modern DC movie 😅). And great writing, and a journey-like feel with far-off climes.

Oh my god dude stop I don't want to be getting my hopes up this early, haha. Even just hearing you describe it that way fills me with that childlike sense of glee that's so rare for me these days, y'know?

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Oh my god dude stop I don't want to be getting my hopes up this early, haha. Even just hearing you describe it that way fills me with that childlike sense of glee that's so rare for me these days, y'know?

Link in the new movie:

image.png

• Haha 3