IGNORED

Candy Corn Season πŸŽƒ

FireHazard51

Candy Corn πŸŽƒ  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on Candy Corn?

• Gotta have it every fall season!
    • How is this still a thing??
    • I don't understand how these polls only have two options that are very polar opposites.

Administrator Β· Posted

I used to like them as a kid, but can't say I ever liked them as an adult.Β  I don't really eat a lot of sugary 'candies' - if I want something sweet I want a really good dark chocolate or something different, not just a little blob of sugar.Β Β 

Nothing wrong with them, I know plenty who still like them, but just not really for me.Β  Β 

Current list of ingredients per the Brachs kind:
Sugar, Corn Syrup, Confectioner's Glaze (Shellac), Salt, Dextrose, Gelatin, Sesame Oil, Artificial Flavor, Honey, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 3

Serving Size: 15 pieces,

Calories: 110,
Fat: 0g,
Sugars: 23g,
Sodium: 65mg

6 hours ago, G-type said:

What's next? Squirrel nut zippers? Bit-o-Honey? Circus Peanuts? Necco Wafers?

Well, if we want to segue this question a bit, what old candies do you all enjoy.Β  I know we have a wide range of ages around here so I'll leave theΒ  term "old" to be relative, but just assume it's candy that was popular before you were born (even if it was/is still enjoyed today.)

I can enjoy candy corn.Β  To me it's just a solid, good candy that's in the middle of desirability.Β  I'd typically not seek it out but if a bowl was in front of me and it was a free-for-all, I'm probably going to enjoy more than a few pieces.

I like Bit-o-Honey's and Mary Janes.Β  They too are in the same category as candy corn.Β  I won't seek it out but after a parade or something, if there are some in a bag, I'm likely to eat them first since they don't come around often.

Tootsie Rolls/Pops are, technically, "old" too by my definition.Β  I love those things.

And last, black licorice is a tough one.Β  I never liked our Americanized form of it where we make a strong anise-flavored gummy candy and lace it with a ton of sugar to make it tolerable.Β  It's weird and I really don't know how it ever became popular.Β  But Europeans add a bit of salt to theirs and it's also a bit harder.Β  It changes the flavor profile a good bit and in my opinion it's a lot better and actually enjoyable.

49 minutes ago, Rhuno said:

I still enjoy Werther's Originals. My Grandparents always had them in a jar at their house; takes me back every time. πŸ™‚

Β 

I honestly don't know if Werther's are old.Β  I always felt they were newish in the late 80s/90s and were branded to be an old-style candy marketed to older people.Β  But I agree, Werther's are pretty good.

Oh, my grand mother always had life savers in her purse and shared them with my brother and I when she kept us but had to run errands and got bored.Β  I still love them--fruit flavored, spearmint and even butter scotch.Β  And that brings me to probably the chief of truly old candies (I can't believe I didn't think of it right away.) Butterscotch.Β  I love butterscotch!Β  Other than chocolate, I feel like it's a classic that I can't imagine not being enjoyed by people for years to come.

10 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'm down with it......

awesome. Today I ate a Cherry Airhead mixed with a Hershey milk chocolate, that was very delicious.

"and if you're wondering what sets Airheads apart from your garden-variety taffy, you're out of luck" Well, if Airheads are taffy, now you are going to get me started on salt-water taffy, my mother's favorite candy. AΒ  boardwalk staple, relatively exclusive to New Jersey, and smaller targeted yet made in a far wider variety of flavors than practically any other candy I've seen with the possible exception of the very specifically marketed single large company Jelly Belly jelly beans.

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I thought the bottom left bag said Fracks.

now I’m disappointed it isn’t.

Would you feel better if I told you they've been a local company here for 119 years? How about if I tell you the hospital explosion in The Dark Knight was an old factory of theirs?

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, Link said:

Would you feel better if I told you they've been a local company here for 119 years? How about if I tell you the hospital explosion in The Dark Knight was an old factory of theirs?

That’s some good fracking knowledge right there! Thanks for the trivia facts.Β 

• Like 1