Voting on Locking Threads

fcgamer

Lock him up! Lock him up!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should we lock this thread?

• Yes
    • No

13 minutes ago, Khromak said:

If you want to have a sidebar conversation about the appropriate syrup to put on your waffles, make a thread about it, don't post it in someone's FS thread or in a topic about the price of clamshells (video game or food)

Then people take you to the cleaners when you post tile n roach threads.

Sometimes just can't win no matter what you do.

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Then people take you to the cleaners when you post tile n roach threads.

Sometimes just can't win no matter what you do.

Sometimes your opinions just aren't popular, and unfortunately we live in a democracy where people are free to tell you they disagree with you, or that you're a weirdo. Or maybe it was fortunately, I always get those two mixed up.

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Events Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, Khromak said:

If you want to have a sidebar conversation about the appropriate syrup to put on your waffles, make a thread about it, don't post it in someone's FS thread or in a topic about the price of clamshells (video game or food)

We get Mrs Butterworth's or Pearl Milling Company (Aunt Jamimah) syrup.  I'd love to splurge on a proper 🍁 maple syrup, but the kids down that shit like water.  "But dad, every square of the waffle need syrup!"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Sometimes your opinions just aren't popular, and unfortunately we live in a democracy where people are free to tell you they disagree with you, or that you're a weirdo. Or maybe it was fortunately, I always get those two mixed up.

You don't respect all life forms? That's pretty effed up, if that's what you're saying.

I dislike roaches just as much as the next guy, but who can't help but to see some beauty in this one, I guess aside from serial killers.

IMG20230903211559.jpg

Administrator · Posted

@fcgamer Can you please stop sharing pictures of roaches across the forum?  I believe that most users here don't want to see that.  

And no, this is not an edict or me silencing voices.  This is coming from me not as an admin but as another person, just asking you to please not do that.

Back on topic to the thread, we are absolutely not going to have voting for locking threads, as that in and of itself would probably turn into more conflict.

Those threads were locked for very good reason, especially the random argumentation on a FS thread after it was settled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

Those threads were locked for very good reason, especially the random argumentation on a FS thread after it was settled.

Was it really properly settled though? The OP went against what he said he was going to do, basically leading to a backdoor like scenario.

If the other parties involved were fine with it, then that's fine, but when people point out the sketch of the situation and then the thread gets immediately locked - that's not cool. From where many people stand, the issue likely wasn't resolved.

Regarding roach pics, alright, but is this some sort of situation regarding all insects? Taiwan is known for butterflies, would it be better to post pictures of them (I did see a grandma here swatting at butterflies one afternoon though). How about shrimp, they're the cockroach of the sea. Of even cats, my aunt is terrified of cats and hates the damned things. 

I'm just looking for guidance as I don't want to offend people in the future. Self reflection and improvement is very important to me.

Administrator · Posted

I want to add another comment, which is...

I think most of the community knows that we care very much about fostering, building, and supporting a good community here of people with similar interests.  We want this to be a place that is supportive, fun, interesting, educational, entertaining and more.  We all got together to build and support VGS after the collapse of NA because we felt very seriously that there was a need for this community to continue.

I believe I can speak for the entire staff in saying that we sincerely want to do right by the community to help continue something that started so many years ago.  We wanted to take the best things about NA and expand on them, while trying to learn from some of the mistakes and things people didn't like.

Did we get it perfectly right?  Of course not.  Are we 100% perfect in handling every single situation?  Of course not.  We are volunteers and we are doing our best to maintain this forum and the community in a way that keeps it thriving.

It is I N C R E D I B L Y difficult, to find the right balance of keeping things on track and positive, while also allowing people individual freedom and not making people feel like they are silenced, or that minority opinions are unwelcome, etc.  We encounter these challenges all the time, and are always working to find that balance.  There are often situations where a decision we make will please one side and absolutely piss off the other, and times when there is seemingly no compromise that different sides will find agreeable and reasonable. 

I ask and implore people, to please just try to be understanding and also supportive of the same ideals of the community, and to have fun but not to completely troll or be negative.  To discuss and debate and argue, but without getting nasty.  We WANT to be mostly hands off with the community and just let things go, without over-moderating.  

We are trying really hard to do all these things, and support many different goals and many different voices and perspectives.  Regardless of what any of you think about how we handled any particular scenario, I hope you understand and believe that we are doing what we can to make this place succeed and provide a forum for the community to continue to discuss the things they care about, as well as the things they find interesting and fun.

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, Murray said:

44F68E40-88B5-4EE8-A8BA-31D8C3A738E0.png

2020 was the last election. I nominate myself and @docile tapeworm! Plus we'll need to keep @Gloves around because it's not like either of us degenerates know how to code a website. We openly admit that we've killed a buncha brain cells over the past two decades.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I think most of the community knows that we care very much about fostering, building, and supporting a good community here of people with similar interests.  We want this to be a place that is supportive, fun, interesting, educational, entertaining and more.  We all got together to build and support VGS after the collapse of NA because we felt very seriously that there was a need for this community to continue.

I believe I can speak for the entire staff in saying that we sincerely want to do right by the community to help continue something that started so many years ago.  We wanted to take the best things about NA and expand on them, while trying to learn from some of the mistakes and things people didn't like.

Did we get it perfectly right?  Of course not.  Are we 100% perfect in handling every single situation?  Of course not.  We are volunteers and we are doing our best to maintain this forum and the community in a way that keeps it thriving.

It is I N C R E D I B L Y difficult, to find the right balance of keeping things on track and positive, while also allowing people individual freedom and not making people feel like they are silenced, or that minority opinions are unwelcome, etc.  We encounter these challenges all the time, and are always working to find that balance.  There are often situations where a decision we make will please one side and absolutely piss off the other, and times when there is seemingly no compromise that different sides will find agreeable and reasonable. 

I ask and implore people, to please just try to be understanding and also supportive of the same ideals of the community, and to have fun but not to completely troll or be negative.  To discuss and debate and argue, but without getting nasty.  We WANT to be mostly hands off with the community and just let things go, without over-moderating.  

We are trying really hard to do all these things, and support many different goals and many different voices and perspectives.  Regardless of what any of you think about how we handled any particular scenario, I hope you understand and believe that we are doing what we can to make this place succeed and provide a forum for the community to continue to discuss the things they care about, as well as the things they find interesting and fun.

Sir, this is a thread about nonsense. I'm going to have to ask yout to please quit making such well written and sensible posts. 😂

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, spacepup said:

This should be made into a VGS mission statement, something that everyone should take the time to reflect upon occasionally.

Well said, @spacepup