IGNORED

T-Pac Arcade

T-Pac

1 hour ago, G-type said:

I always thought those little floating circle things looked like spaghettios

lol, I did too. Spaghetti-os were gross when you think about them but I liked them as a kid and those O’s made me want them every time so got to that part of the game!😂

Graphics Team · Posted
On 2/20/2024 at 5:52 AM, RH said:

I'll be honest to say that when I saw this drop in my YouTube feed... I got nervous.

You are generally a positive guy, but your reviews are honest and I didn't know how this would land since it's both more complex than a 2600 title but it's also very much a product of it's time and they systems limitations.  It turns out that your honesty was perfect. I don't see everything the way you do but, in my opinion, your way of presenting your opinions is so genuine, honest and fun that it's even easy to disagree with your perspective but also enjoy the video.   To be clear, I did agree with about 90% of what you said so I didn't feel like a critically important game from my childhood was torn apart.  Regardless, even if I have, I feel like your presentation was excellent and welcoming.

Also, that picture is sick, man!  Samus has a been around long enough that we can easily project on the old 8-bit version of her what we'd expect her to look like from modern adaptations.  But your interpretation is perfect for a fresh perspective on something that's only a handful of pixels.  I especially like the helmet detail.

Thanks for making these and I hope with time your short segments get picked up by the algorithm.  This type of content is perfect for what they try to push-short and unique.  Keep up the good work and I know I'll keep watching!

Thanks, dude!

Sometimes my inner contrarian gets the best of me and I can be overly critical of "popular" games, but I do try to acknowledge what other people like about them - so I'm glad that comes across.

Metroid is among a handful of popular classics that I felt compelled to play through in order to do my "retro-gaming homework" so to speak - even if it isn't the type of game that I enjoy. (But the fact that I kept the game in my collection and actually finished it is a mark in it's favor, considering how many other classics I've dismissed as "too far out of my frame of interest" to own or play haha.)

[T-Pac]

Graphics Team · Posted

StarFox [Super Nintendo Entertainment System - 1993]

I did NOT expect to like this one so much, considering my general lack of interest in 3D rail-shooters. But first-party titles on the SNES rarely miss, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Also - does anyone know what the deal is with the "Black Hole" on the map? I read in the manual that you can end up there somehow by straying off-course, but I never did and I'm kinda bummed about it...

[T-Pac]

image.png.74a740034e266172935280737452e06e.png

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

Super Star Soldier [NEC PC Engine - 1990]

This isn't my favorite Star Soldier title, but I feel like it's the game that defines the series.
Really glad I spent some quality time with this one...

[T-Pac]

image.png.f125a1a0254e29b47a323d4262db023e.png

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
3 hours ago, G-type said:

@DefaultGen's video explains it:

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

To toot my own horn, it’s the best Mountain King video on the internet. EDIT: Besides T-Pac arcade obviously.

This is glorious haha!

And it looks like I've inadvertently risen to the @DefaultGen challenge: "I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU! MAKE A MOUNTAIN KING VIDEO!!!!"

Bet you thought THAT would never happen! Now you owe me your Famicom Golf Champions' Course. No takebacks.

[T-Pac]

• Wow! 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Gradius [Nintendo Entertainment System - 1986]

Can any Gradius experts weigh-in on why the manual says there's an "Inverted Space Volcano Stage" between the jellybean level and the moai-head level, but I never saw it in my playthrough?

Also - apparently the kid who owned this game before me couldn't decide if their initials were "J.M." or "J.W"...

[T-Pac]

image.png.43efc2a74a95028573a820a41c1a47f2.png

• Like 1

@T-Pac The inverted volcano stage comes after the Moai level.  You probably triggered the warp to stage 5 by destroying at least 10 Moais during the level.

You're not missing a lot.  It's mostly just stage 1, but upside down with more enemies.  The volcano at the end also has reverse gravity, so all the rocks "fall" up.

There are other warps in the game for other conditions, each of which skips one stage.  You know you hit one when a bunch of indestructible green Moai fly across the screen after beating the boss.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
11 hours ago, rdrunner said:

@T-Pac The inverted volcano stage comes after the Moai level.  You probably triggered the warp to stage 5 by destroying at least 10 Moais during the level.

You're not missing a lot.  It's mostly just stage 1, but upside down with more enemies.  The volcano at the end also has reverse gravity, so all the rocks "fall" up.

There are other warps in the game for other conditions, each of which skips one stage.  You know you hit one when a bunch of indestructible green Moai fly across the screen after beating the boss.

Oooooh - well that explains it! I wondered if those Moai constellations were a warp-tunnel...

Thanks for the info - and I'm glad I didn't miss much from the second volcano level.

[T-Pac]

On 3/15/2024 at 11:06 AM, T-Pac said:

Mountain King [Atari 2600 - 1983]

This game was a lot more complex than I expected, but I ended up absolutely loving it.

[T-Pac]

image.png.dc17c9aad6bc33ead28b6868b1d1b93a.png

Very cool. Have you ever played the TI-99/4A computer? There's a game called Alpiner that uses the same classical music:

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, elprincipe said:

Very cool. Have you ever played the TI-99/4A computer? There's a game called Alpiner that uses the same classical music:

Oh, neat! I've actually never tried out classic computer games before.

The classical music in Alpiner is definitely cool, but I've gotta admit the voice samples seem the best part.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

Oh, I'd love to one day hear... "Welcome to the T-Pac Arcade and today we're playing, uh... The Oregon Trail!".

I am curious, though.  There's not a single, more iconic edutainment game than The Oregon Trail.  Did it ever cross your path?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

Oh, neat! I've actually never tried out classic computer games before.

The classical music in Alpiner is definitely cool, but I've gotta admit the voice samples seem the best part.

[T-Pac]

Absolutely. One of my favorite things about that game is how it basically insults you when you get hit and knocked down the mountain 😆

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, elprincipe said:

I had this game and used to play it all the time!

Might be a fun topic to try and come up with all the games that feature classical music.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
42 minutes ago, G-type said:

I had this game and used to play it all the time!

Might be a fun topic to try and come up with all the games that feature classical music.

Gyruss is on my backlog for later this year, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head...

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Twinbee [Nintendo Famicom - 1986]

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to finish this game since my copy started glitching-out in Stage 4. Luckily, I was still able to parse the garbled graphics enough to make it through.

And oddly enough, I had the same problem with my copy of Stinger (Twinbee's sequel) when I played that last year.

[T-Pac]

image.png.e0d4d643103f64569e3fda9dcb22c14f.png

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

Oh, I'd love to one day hear... "Welcome to the T-Pac Arcade and today we're playing, uh... The Oregon Trail!".

I am curious, though.  There's not a single, more iconic edutainment game than The Oregon Trail.  Did it ever cross your path?

Haha good 'ol Oregon Trail.

Yeah - I remember playing that in the library's computer lab in elementary school.

[T-Pac]

Just now, T-Pac said:

Haha good 'ol Oregon Trail.

Yeah - I remember playing that in the library's computer lab in elementary school.

[T-Pac]

It amazes me how that game had such longevity.  I know you're in your 20s so when we all were playing it OG in 1988, we had no clue that kids 20 years later would STILL be playing it in schools.

Actually, how did you play it?  Your school wasn't still using Apple IIGSes in the 2000's, was it?!  Or did they have an updated version?

Graphics Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

It amazes me how that game had such longevity.  I know you're in your 20s so when we all were playing it OG in 1988, we had no clue that kids 20 years later would STILL be playing it in schools.

Actually, how did you play it?  Your school wasn't still using Apple IIGSes in the 2000's, was it?!  Or did they have an updated version?

We had Windows computers, so it must've been a more modernized port.

I guess I never really thought about it as a 'classic' game that's been around since the 80s! 

[T-Pac]