IGNORED

Movie Debate #136: Brazil

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.

I don't usually like picking singular favourites, but whenever I've had to pick out one favourite movie in the past, Brazil has nearly always been my choice. It's fantastic, hilarious, and really everything I could want in a movie. The best in a lineup of nearly exclusively amazing movies from Terry Gilliam.

10/10 with absolutely no hesitation. 

• Like 1

7 - One of those movies where the parts are much better than the whole - but a lot of those parts are great.  The overall narrative is just too disjointed and no matter which of the seemingly endless cuts you watch  it just goes on too long.  My favorite scene is the one with the desk in the wall.  

P.S.  Thanks Reed - now I will have the theme song bouncing around in my head all day.

Edited by Tabonga

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Sumez said:

The fact that it's the best movie ever made isn't compelling?

It's a hard thing to believe, having never heard of it before. I could probably be convinced to give it a go, I watch plenty of movies and I'm fully open to new ones, but I have zero context as to why I should see this one aside from "Sumez really likes it". Love ya bud, but that's not particularly compelling to me lol. 

Well the fact that you haven't is also an outrage 😛 Have you ever heard of Terry Gilliam at all?
Time Bandits? Baron Munchausen? Twelve Monkeys? Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Hell, even Life of Brian.

I don't think the guy ever made a bad movie. Well, maybe Brothers Grimm.

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
46 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's a hard thing to believe, having never heard of it before. I could probably be convinced to give it a go, I watch plenty of movies and I'm fully open to new ones, but I have zero context as to why I should see this one aside from "Sumez really likes it". Love ya bud, but that's not particularly compelling to me lol. 

It is pretty universally considered one of the biggest cult films of all time

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Well the fact that you haven't is also an outrage 😛 Have you ever heard of Terry Gilliam at all?
Time Bandits? Baron Munchausen? Twelve Monkeys? Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Hell, even Life of Brian.

I don't think the guy ever made a bad movie. Well, maybe Brothers Grimm.

I've heard of the last two of those, never seen any of them. Dunno what a Terry Gilliam is. 

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've heard of the last two of those, never seen any of them. Dunno what a Terry Gilliam is. 

My movie debate line to collectively discuss movies and bring awareness has clearly been a failure 😆

... well that's not true.  We all know what Brazil is now!

...except @Bearcat-Doug.  He'll forget by tomorrow.  Even though like 5 people across all of my interviews have mentioned this movie 😅

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My movie debate line to collectively discuss movies and bring awareness has clearly been a failure 😆

... well that's not true.  We all know what Brazil is now!

...except @Bearcat-Doug.  He'll forget by tomorrow.  Even though like 5 people across all of my debates have mentioned this movie 😅

Maybe these should be changed to "Movies the two Dougs have never seen and the following debate as to why they never will".

188671.jpg?b64lines=IEhNTS4gWU9VUiBJREVB

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

At least you haven't heard of it either. Normally, I've heard of the movies and just have no interest in ever watching them. 😂

• Agree 1