IGNORED

Pikmin 1 vs 2 vs 3 vs 4

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

I played the original Pikmin on GC ages ago, but I didn't get very far and I haven't played any Pikmin games since. Seeing that all 4 Pikmin games are playable on Switch, I wonder if anyone can recommend any of them above any others, all of the above, or if I should skip em.

One of my favorite series and I've played and beat them all except 4.  I'm only about 20 days into 4 while my daugher is ahead of me already.

I'll say that 1 is archaic.  You have a timed amount of time to finish the game basically.  They got rid of that in 2 and it was far for the better.  You can skip 1 if you're new to the franchise, the "story" you miss isn't a big deal.

2 is a good start, but 3 improved over 2.  2 lets you explore caves and adds a bunch new Pikmin.  Much better game that 1 since the timer to beat the game is removed.  3 was even a bigger improvement over 2, lots more variety, graphics, levels, "story" etc.  

4 is on steroids.  So much new stuff in the game.  You have a "hub world" where you can upgrade your dog / gear kind of like an RPG, that's all new.  They changed all building material to generic components which is great too.  Previously if you needed to build a bridge, you had to find those exact tiles somewhere in the level.  Now you just gather a shared pool of resource titles that you can use wherever you want.  It's really just an amazing game all around, not even to mention the night mode which is like tower defense.

If you want the best game, play 4, but 1 will be unplayable afterwards and 2 and 3 will feel like a let down.  If you're excited about the series in general, I'd say skip 1 and play 2 -> 3 -> 4 in order.  Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
15 hours ago, Splain said:

I played the original Pikmin on GC ages ago, but I didn't get very far and I haven't played any Pikmin games since. Seeing that all 4 Pikmin games are playable on Switch, I wonder if anyone can recommend any of them above any others, all of the above, or if I should skip em.

probably what @jonebone said, but they are all GREAT games and one of, if not my favorite series.  I plan on buying physical 1 and 2 for switch and I own the originals from childhood.  This series is great, but @ikk says to stay away from the handheld game!

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Oh ya......OATCHI is the best mechanic added to any game, who doesn't like a doggo companion?

I heard on a podcast that the dog is almost OP, that you don't even need Pikmin anymore for a lot of situations once you have the dog?

Events Helper · Posted
33 minutes ago, Splain said:

I heard on a podcast that the dog is almost OP, that you don't even need Pikmin anymore for a lot of situations once you have the dog?

pikmin is still the way to go, the dog is a bit slow, but can do exactly what the pikmin can.  if u ask oatchi to carry something 10 pikmin can, 20 pikmin will double the speed and oatchi just goes at the 10 or less pace it seems.  even tho. oatchi is amazing, doesn't feel 100% OP imo.

Big fan of the series, although I haven't had a chance to pick up 4 yet. They improved dramatically in each sequel, so 3 is definitely the best game (at least before 4). However, 1 and 2 are also super fun and I recommend them. I'd start at the beginning and play through in order - unless you don't want to spend that much time, in which case I'd start with the incredible Pikmin 3. Also, I recommend Pikmin 3 on Wii U if you can since the Gamepad allows for superior control and situational awareness compared to a Switch.

2 minutes ago, elprincipe said:

Big fan of the series, although I haven't had a chance to pick up 4 yet. They improved dramatically in each sequel, so 3 is definitely the best game (at least before 4). However, 1 and 2 are also super fun and I recommend them. I'd start at the beginning and play through in order - unless you don't want to spend that much time, in which case I'd start with the incredible Pikmin 3. Also, I recommend Pikmin 3 on Wii U if you can since the Gamepad allows for superior control and situational awareness compared to a Switch.

You are going to love 4

• Like 1