IGNORED

My basement flooded.

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

It actually doesn’t look bad down there for being covered in literal shit! I feel your pain, I packed up my entire game room by myself when we moved from MD to NY and moved it to a storage unit and back into my new house once the game room was done. Wouldn’t want to do that ever again. 

Hopefully insurance did you right and you get an even nicer space out of it to rebuild. I wish I was local I would have helped!

Probably just demo that fake half kitchen right out of there for a neat little gaming nook!

Its not even a real kitchen, as there is no plumbing rough in. If he deletes it, then no impact to re-sale. Make it a closet to stash all the stuff you dont want to display!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Yea I never liked that. I believe they were actually used for PC Gaming, as those cabinets had vents on the side and outlets in them, lol. I'm definitely good with removing all that for more display space.

Splash some shit water on it and tell insurance it got there as well hahahaha

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m lucky that less than 15 or so items from my collection were damaged when my basement flooded. Most of the damage was in shelving, the floors and walls etc. I usually keep things off the floor but I had a few items that hadn’t been put away yet. One was a complete in box with matching serial number VIC-20 console. It was a bummer when I realized it was destroyed, as I never see these in person. 

Today I went to a local shop (Ben's Game Zone) to pick up a few games, as I’m known to do. I know Ben well and we always chat when I’m in. He knows what’s going on with my collection and what I’m looking for. When I showed up he walked out with this beautiful complete VIC-20 console! I couldn’t believe another one was traded in. I thought it would be so difficult tracking another one down! 

Now, Ben knew about my flood and had seen a few of the photos of the damage. So I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said “take it home, it’s yours buddy”. I was caught off guard and honestly got emotional. I asked if he was sure, and he said yes. I gratuitously thanked him  and made sure to buy a few items in the shop today.

So here I am, quickly replacing the damaged console with another. I can hardly believe it. There are still kind people on this world. Ben is one of them. What a stand up guy. I would have gladly paid him for the console and he just gave it to me, knowing how much it sucks when your stuff gets ruined. I really really love the retro gaming community.

AEAB7E0D-3D23-48E8-B719-B06FEB04EE1F.jpeg.067de07d776a96ccbc01c43a36766b88.jpeg 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Rules get made after accidents happen.

New collecting rule: if you have stuff on the ground in your basement, it should be in a plastic tote

Yea, the only reason this stuff was on the floor was because i got it in june-july and i hadn't organized it into my collection yet. But I'll know better now. 

Graphics Team · Posted

@CodysGameRoom that's so awesome to hear about the Vic-20!

Try not to beat yourself up about all the stuff you "could've done" or "should've done" to prevent damage like this. You're not at fault, and nobody can keep their collection 100% disaster-proof and still enjoy it.

And on the bright side - this could be your opportunity to start a fresh game-room in style with one of those neon 80s arcade carpets that @Gloves loves so much haha.

[T-Pac]

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Dang.... sorry to hear. I had my apartment flood and needed abatement because of asbestos in the floor so I kinda know how you feel. It's rough.

Glad insurance is being cool and cooperating.

Good to see you're making progress and things are moving along. Like others (and T-Pac above) said, now you can kinda refresh things and start with whatever you'd like. Terrible circumstance for doing it, but grab yourself some of that neon carpet and you're rockin'!

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I figured I'd provide an update on this story. The basement has been fully demo'ed for a few weeks now, and today the restoration project manager came over with the drywaller/painter and the floor guy. They have all the measurements they need now and they are submitting the estimate to insurance for approval. They estimate that once insurance approves the estimate, they will have the project completed in two weeks. So from what he says, the whole situation may be fixed in about a month. Then I can start rebuilding my game room. 

Thanks to everyone for your continued support. It means a lot to me. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...