IGNORED

The sequel to Robotron 2084 is a trippy 3D space shooter from 1983 called Blaster

mbd39

Anyone remember this? Compared to other classic Williams arcade games it's basically forgotten. And it was never ported to anything back in the day. I remember reading about it in Joystik magazine and I may have played it briefly on MAME.

Look at those colors!

• Like 3

Robotron is one of my favorites. This game looks awesome! Some elements of it seem familiar, although I'm probably mixing it up with a different space game I remember owning on the 2600. It had that similar structure of skimming along the planet surface before blasting into space and passing through "warp" zones to progress to new areas.

Still, a shame this never got ported. I would have loved it.

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Then they planned on releasing a port but it didn't happen.

Yeah, but I thought the code got leaked years later. Not the arcade/mame, but the 400/800 that could also be converted to 5200.

Edited by Tulpa

It was on some of those arcade classic compilation discs.  Kind of a weird one since it lifts the sound effects from Robotron.  

As a sequel it is disappointing that an iconic twin stick shooter, became another generic space ship games like every other game from the era

1 hour ago, fox said:

It was on some of those arcade classic compilation discs.  Kind of a weird one since it lifts the sound effects from Robotron.  

As a sequel it is disappointing that an iconic twin stick shooter, became another generic space ship games like every other game from the era

The 3D perspective may have been novel in 1983 though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I got a chance to play this a few years ago at a show.  I had played it before that both in MAME and in 5200 emulation.  I have never really played it in a way where I've tested myself to score high, but I could see giving it more time.  It really does use the sounds straight from Robotron (and many other Williams games).  (That's not me btw)

Blaster.jpg.0bbebc8139baf2089eb5e9528d0e6c33.jpg