IGNORED

I got the best thing: Famicom Golf Champions' Course

DefaultGen

When I started more seriously collecting Japanese games a few years ago, I made a list of the best and rarest things I wanted to collect and this is #1 on the list. In Spring 1987, Nintendo's had (AFAIK) their first game competition with Famicom Golf: Japan Course on FDS. You would bring your disk to a store, a clerk would put it in a fancy machine, and it would fax your high score to Nintendo. Wild. (Baseless) estimates of 5,000-10,000 gold disks were sent out randomly to participants containing the Professional Course in a yellow disk-kun case. These are pretty gettable but I still love them.

The actual top 100 winners of the contest got the Champions' Course disk. It came a personalized plaque, a personalized disk with their rank, and a unique very challenging course.

Mwp4fX7.jpg

It even has the outer box 🥵 How am I so good at collecting? I don't know.

0QbG02J.jpg

At worst, this is Stadium Events, an extremely rare variant of an existing game. At best, it's the top prize of Nintendo's first contest far predating NWC and the rarest publicly released Nintendo game, which is of course how I tend to see it because I'm the greatest collector who ever lived. I don't think this is publicly dumped anywhere so I'll get on that.

Here's a cool guy standing next to the fax station. There were a few other Disk Fax contests which had some cool prizes, but none are quite as rare or interesting. The only other top 100 prizes after this were trophies, not games, and I tend to just collect video games.

P3mp8hk.png

And this is some guy on Youtube playing hole 18 to show how ridiculously hard it is:

The next thing on the list is a gold Rockman 4 cart, but kind of doubt I'm ever going to get that since there were only 8 of them and I'm not a big enough Rockman 4 fan for what it would take to get one.

Dave you can post some Taiwanese game where you own the only known copy to one up me now.

• Like 7
  • Wow! 10
  • Love 5

1 minute ago, DarkTone said:

Holy shit! Congrats. Is this your new gem of your collection? Good luck with 4! 

It's certainly up there. The Rockman 4 winners list is pubicly available and I think 4-5 are confirmed to exist, so they're just waiting for someone to go DreamTR-call them all up with fat offers. I'm sure it's been done before but the modern gaijin might be willing to offer a LOT more than has ever been offered for one. I'm not sure how challenging cultural differences would be in getting one of country but it's not on my to-do list. I'll wait for one to sell for $70k on Heritage Auctions then be like "Man I should've hit up that Yoshitaka guy on Twitter".

• Like 1

Yeah I'd have to agree it's a real Mario game, and worst of the worst to try and track down definitely.  What a hell of a score I remember reading up on this a few times over the years most recently this year and yes that was their first fax/mail away prize thing with a game, Golf was #1 with the prize wheel of fun there and that's the big guns right there with that box, gold trophy plate and disk.  That's nuts finding that and in such incredible shape too.  Pretty big of you if it really isn't dumped to make a copy, very nice and giving all things considered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

@DefaultGen it didn't dawn on me just how cool this was until I listened to the Collectors Quest podcast episode where you talked about it.

What an incredible collectible! By the way - does the number 35 (the rank of your copy) have any significance to you? That would make it even more special.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, DefaultGen said:

I don't think this is publicly dumped anywhere so I'll get on that.

I believe you're correct, at least according to the No-Intro wiki as of now. I have found dump lists with a Japan Course Prize Card, a Special Course Prize Card, and some DV 2s, but no Champions' Course!

• 2 months later...