IGNORED

How Do You Arrange Your Books?

fcgamer

I've been doing a lot of reading recently, and similarly, I've been purchasing about four or five books each month, which I then go through in the evenings.

My bookshelves are a bit of a mess though, so I want to try to arrange them. Initially I thought about arranging them by theme or genre, then I thought perhaps keep the books I read separate from those I haven't read, but that would then disorganize the genre bit.

So for those of you who still read physical books, how do you arrange your collection?

I arrange it by either donating them or giving them to friends to read. If my book shelf gets full, I stop buying until I get rid of some. I only have a small handful of books that I read on a semi-regular basis. 
I currently have 31 unread books with a shelf and a half to spare. Unfortunately a really good book shop opened up within walking distance of my home about a year ago. 

On the shelf it is Alphabetical by title with a couple exceptions where semi-related works within the same series or same author are grouped together.  Looks pretty good, neat and easy to find everything.

Doing read/unread looked messy and having to shift and reorder stuff all the time broke up the flow.  Whatever I'm currently reading is in my bag or out on the dresser.

Alphabetical. I can see the argument for genre and alphabetical as well.

Anything else is just too crazy imo. I want to be able to find the book fast, not look through a whole heap of colours or big to small or whatever new interior design method is hot right now.

I also do the same with my vinyl and games. Although games are separated into systems then alphabetically.

Editorials Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Reed - between the books, dvds, video games, etc. Do you have any walls in your home not covered with media? Not a criticism just an observation!

Oh I'm not allowed anywhere near areas meant for public consumption or decency

PXL_20230530_013816096.jpg

Also, I have about 30 minutes to clean up our battleground before mom gets home.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

What I see in that pic is that a lot of fun was had!

As for books, I don't really have a ton of them, but I do still buy ones that really interest me.  I don't have any strict organization method, but I try to keep series and themes together.  I don't have enough to really need to alphabetize or anything like that. 

I have lots of random things like artbooks and such, and I tend to just make those fit the spaces I have for them - I don't know that there is any specific organization to them, except for same series / themes.

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I have shelves for large, medium, and small.

Beyond that, it's kind of a free-for-all.  But I at least try to keep an author's work together.

PXL_20230529_232617684.jpg

That's a really respectable wall of solid paper.  So much King!

Really liking @Reed Rothchild's wall of paper, these days I know very few people that still keep so many physical books around. Very nice! 

I took some time tonight to organize my book shelves, I roughly tried to organize it by genre; after much thought, I felt this would suit me best. 

There are some other shelves in the same unit with other things, such as my coffee stuff, some wine, etc. I might try to sort that out tomorrow and then share pics of the whole thing. 

in the meantime, here's my book collection. I've got a collection back in the States too, I really need to do something about that next time I'm in the area for more than a week.

IMG20230531010635.jpg

IMG20230531010433.jpg

IMG20230531010443.jpg

I don't have a whole lot of books these days and most of them are in boxes as I don't have a real bookshelf, and even so they are just kinda thrown on top of my parts shelving (grouping similar books). I would sort by category then alphabetically, which is how I sort my electronic parts. I do this form of sorting of all my physical copies of arcade manuals and schematics.

Screenshot_20230601-075231_Gallery.jpg.c8c76b00f0146a15d503c3dab0110e34.jpg