IGNORED

Name the game!

22 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

That's it!

UrbanChampionRoundD7.jpg.588ca23c0866c3ee44845f640baa4664.jpg

The ambulances are the last thing you get before the text "CHAMPION" is displayed -- the closest thing this game has to a clear win condition. Of course you have to win an obscene number of rounds to get there.

See the end of this video for evidence:

I don't think I've played it long enough to get any of those icons at the bottom although I probably never paid attention since it clearly show what round you are on.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't think I've played it long enough to get any of those icons at the bottom although I probably never paid attention since it clearly show what round you are on.

They start rolling out the icons at Round 4, which I think I've reached -- but not much further than that, since this game is like a chicken bone with a tiny bit of meat on it.

I'm not sure that any human has gotten the ambulances without savestates! It takes a minimum of 123 rounds completed to get the first of the ambulances, and 138 rounds to get the "CHAMPION" text at Round 139 aka D9.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The ambulance picture may have been the toughest clue so far in this thread. Unless you happen to be the world's biggest fan of Urban Champion. Never in a million years would've thought it was that game.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

They start rolling out the icons at Round 4, which I think I've reached -- but not much further than that, since this game is like a chicken bone with a tiny bit of meat on it.

I'm not sure that any human has gotten the ambulances without savestates! It takes a minimum of 123 rounds completed to get the first of the ambulances, and 138 rounds to get the "CHAMPION" text at Round 139 aka D9.

TMR's winning condition was beating round 63 because it's the max difficulty. So he didn't even make it to the ambulances.

I wonder how long Nintendo expected people to play this crappy game lol.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
21 minutes ago, AverageOliver98 said:

Alright, lets get another visual hint hint2.png.ee4a4f389442310a0ea16cb30ca36690.png

And a verbal clue or two: Sumez's guess of Soul Blazer is about 20 years off (this is the newest game so far) and I'm fairly certain if you've never played it, you've probably(?) heard of it.

I've definitely played this but I can't place the name.

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

TMR's winning condition was beating round 63 because it's the max difficulty. So he didn't even make it to the ambulances.

That's as far as I bothered to play it. I guess I never noticed the icons or just didn't remember them.

4 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Maybe I'll try that some time if I get really bored. I haven't played it in a long time so it may take more effort than I care to put in.

Is this a Mobile (or game designed as Mobile first, Steam second) then there's a modest chance that most of us old farts will never guess it.

I mean, I have my mobile vice or two that can keep my attention for short bursts, but we're not really people into the mobile... scene.

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Cookie Clicker? I googled the version number you left in the screenshot lol.

Correctomundo!vgsclue2.PNG.fedd16f29b5317474c48d9aaf213f7d2.PNG

And to answer @RH's question, its a browser game that later got a Steam release as well as a mobile version (no iOS version yet). I discovered this back in high school, and while not particularly interesting, there is something addicting about watching a number go up (and then making it go up faster and faster).

Maybe I was overestimating how many people here mess around with browser games (Incremental/idle games to be more precise),  but a correct answer was given so no complaints here.

11 minutes ago, AverageOliver98 said:

And to answer @RH's question, its a browser game that later got a Steam release as well as a mobile version (no iOS version yet). I discovered this back in high school, and while not particularly interesting, there is something addicting about watching a number go up (and then making it go up faster and faster).

Maybe I was overestimating how many people here mess around with browser games (Incremental/idle games to be more precise),  but a correct answer was given so no complaints here.

I completely missed this one before it was guessed, but if my kids had seen it, they probably would have figured it out.  

On 10/15/2023 at 6:59 AM, mbd39 said:

I got the Champion rank last year without save states. And went past that a bit to stage F7 just to make sure nothing else happened afterwards as well. Took close to an hour and a half playing to get there, but I still had all 3 lives when I reached Champion rank. 

• Wow! 1

4 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

I use to play a lot of Kongregate and Armor Games games back when I'd given up console playing and before I got into collecting.

Though some game managed to get popular within that crowd, there were always  just so many of them (and yes, a lot of good ones.)  I'm not necessarily shaming your pick.  I'm just letting you know if you want to refine your choice that unless it was a cultural sensation like Angry Birds, Flappy Bird or Crossy Roads (what's with all of these games being bird based?!), then most of us probably won't know it if it were a mobile, or in this case browser, based game.

Edited by RH
  • Agree 1

Also, considering if and when I win next time, do you guys think PC games can be to obscure, even from big name studios?

LSL2 was tough and I only got it by luck trying to find similar HUDs by google searches.  The score counter on that one was obviously a Sierra thing, so that was what helped my sleuthing but I had no clue what that one was.

There are a ton of classic PC games but I feel like most of us lean towards old school console gaming and knowledgeability.  You guys post what you want, but I'm debating about using PC screen caps and sprites or not based off of how unintentionally obscure they might be.

• 2 weeks later...