IGNORED

"All Lucky 7's" and other hard to hit or rare, random events in games

RH

In honor of this being my 7,777th post, I figured I'd make a thread regarding random/hard events to come by in games.  An example of what I'm talking about is, well, All Lucky 7's which was in Final Fantasy VII.

If you're unaware, if you ever managed to get 7,777 HP on your HP bar, you went into a hyper-berserk mode and just continued to hit whatever enemy randomly, quickly and always did 7,777 points of damage.  The trick was that you could not enter battle with 7,777HP and it'd fire.  Instead, you'd have to heal HP up to it, or lose HP that landed on the number. 

I know that eventually, with certain strategies that some people came up with, they could modify their player stats to have a max of 7,777 HP and then enter a battle with lowed HP.  By doing a full heal, they'd hit 7,777 in battle and go berserk.

Personally, I never hit it back in the day even though I tried many, many times.  It took using a Game Shark and modifying the characters HP values to 7,777 so I could do the heal-up trick when starting a battle, but it was a fun experience.

So what are your personal favorite hard-to-hit, semi-random game events?  I know their are other games that have integrated near-impossible items or other tasks that take a lot of luck.  Have you had success with any of those, especially without cheating like I did.

final fantasy 7 (all lucky 7777's) on Make a GIF

• Like 3

I played the shit out of FF7 (as I’m sure most people did as well) and my strategy to get 7777 would be to just get into a fight, let the enemies hurt my characters, and wait until one of my character’s HP ended in xx77. I would then escape and then use a shit ton of heals to get my HP up to 7777. Now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if you had > 1 party member with 7777? 

• Like 1

I don't know how statistically rare it actually was (as I understand, the special encounter system was partly based on the player's Luck stat) but one of my favorite random encounters in the original Fallout was finding the crashed saucer. Searching the wreckage, you found two alien corpses. One carried a Velvet Elvis painting and the other carried one of the best weapons in the game, the alien blaster. On the saucer itself was a sign that read: "Property of Area-51. Return if found."

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

In Xenoblade 2, getting rare blades is all sorts of convoluted.  Here is the explanation for getting KOS-MOS (from Xenosaga):

Screenshot_20230516-103233.png

Legendary core > idea > luck.  Got that?

Is that XC or XC2?  I thought I read similar with XC2.

I have played Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire so much I have done everything. Finished nationaldex, got gold shield for 100 battles in battle tower, got the gold trainer card, been to southern Island with Eon ticket, got all the rare berries, and fought all Pokemon battle e-card trainers.

The only thing I have never managed to do is make it to mirage island. I'd love to get there some day, but it's never happened. : (

5 minutes ago, Jynx said:

I have played Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire so much I have done everything. Finished nationaldex, got gold shield for 100 battles in battle tower, got the gold trainer card, been to southern Island with Eon ticket, got all the rare berries, and fought all Pokemon battle e-card trainers.

The only thing I have never managed to do is make it to mirage island. I'd love to get there some day, but it's never happened. : (

As one who doesn't play Pokemon, what makes that so difficult?

1 minute ago, RH said:

As one who doesn't play Pokemon, what makes that so difficult?

Mirage Island is something only in Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire, where every day you can check with an old man to see if Mirage Island exists that day. It's depends on two pieces of information attached to any Pokemon you catch, and if those two bits of information match the numbers the game chooses for mirage island, then mirage island will exist. The numbers change every day, and you can bring as many Pokemon to him in a day as you like to keep checking.

The problem is the odds are so ludicrously low that it's never happened to me ever since the game came out in 2003, and it's hard to make yourself check every day as it takes a lot of time to cycle through all the Pokemon in your boxes to check with him. I've never seriously attempted it for a long period of time, but every so often I'll do it for a week or two and it never happens. I believe it's the single rarest thing that can happen in any Pokemon game. In the remakes they removed it because nobody could ever get there.

The only things on Mirage Island are really rare berries you can't get in any other way, and wild encounters of a Pokemon you can normally only get one of in an egg. The berry is the more valuable thing and is actually useful, but it's not a very exciting place outside of having the privilege of seeing it.

I'd love to get there some day, but I've never made enough of an effort to try.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jynx said:

Mirage Island is something only in Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire, where every day you can check with an old man to see if Mirage Island exists that day. It's depends on two pieces of information attached to any Pokemon you catch, and if those two bits of information match the numbers the game chooses for mirage island, then mirage island will exist. The numbers change every day, and you can bring as many Pokemon to him in a day as you like to keep checking.

The problem is the odds are so ludicrously low that it's never happened to me ever since the game came out in 2003, and it's hard to make yourself check every day as it takes a lot of time to cycle through all the Pokemon in your boxes to check with him. I've never seriously attempted it for a long period of time, but every so often I'll do it for a week or two and it never happens. I believe it's the single rarest thing that can happen in any Pokemon game. In the remakes they removed it because nobody could ever get there.

The only things on Mirage Island are really rare berries you can't get in any other way, and wild encounters of a Pokemon you can normally only get one of in an egg. The berry is the more valuable thing and is actually useful, but it's not a very exciting place outside of having the privilege of seeing it.

I'd love to get there some day, but I've never made enough of an effort to try.

this is mine too. I have never seen mirage island, not even when I was addicted to the game. On the other hand, never seemed that important anyway.

• Like 1

The biggest thing that comes to mind is finding 2 shiny Pokémon back in the day on my Pokémon diamond version without any boosts to shiny odds. 

for those who are unfamiliar shiny Pokémon are Pokémon who have a different color. A shiny charizard is black for example. The odds of finding a shiny in Pokémon diamond are 1/8192. I randomly encountered a shiny ponyta and a shiny kricketot. Both were very cool experiences and to date I have never encountered another shiny without boosting my shiny odds. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 1:22 PM, Jynx said:

I don’t know a single person who ever got to mirage island. I played gen 3 for probably over 1000 hours across the 3 games. Never encountered a shiny in that gen or mirage island.