IGNORED

so apparently Redfall is horrendous...

I knew about Redfall.  I'm not sure how I knew about it exactly.  I do use my Xbox One still quite a bit, so I may have seen an ad or something a long time ago.   However, these days when a game is meant to be like 80+% online, I just ignore it.  I need single player or I just don't bite.  I honestly didn't research Redfall enough to know what it really is, but I have plenty of other games to play anyway.

And about MS losing the console wars . . . how many times do they have to tell you that what they've been after is cross-platform customers and subscribers to GamePass before you actually believe them.  I mean, they bought Minecraft which was arguably the biggest and most sought-after tween cocaine, and they made it cross-platform.   Then there's Starfield.  It will be on PC Day 1 - no platform exclusivity at all.  Buy an Xbox to play it or stream it to your potato with XCloud.  They don't care.  If Playstation would allow for a way to run XCloud on Playstation, they'd probably allow it there.

Here's a quote I found with less than 2 mins of searching.

"Xbox boss Phil Spencer told GI.biz that he's so passionate about this because he wants to make Microsoft's games available to people no matter what device they have. Forcing people to buy new hardware is against what the spirit of gaming is all about, Spencer said."

I mean, why fight Sony and Nintendo on their home court when you can expand the fight anyway?  MS was always going to lose a console war and there are tons of gamers out there now who don't even want a console anymore.

12 hours ago, wongojack said:

I mean, why fight Sony and Nintendo on their home court when you can expand the fight anyway?  MS was always going to lose a console war and there are tons of gamers out there now who don't even want a console anymore.

You seriously believe that? I don't. Not one bit. The 360 is one of the best selling systems of all time, and it sold over 85 million units! MS was in top shape after the 360, and then they started with their bullshite - and clearly they did not expect gamers to fight back, but MS (a company known to screw people over) found out gamers WILL fight back with their wallets 🙂

"We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity," says Microsoft's Don Mattick, "it's called Xbox 360." -- how did that work out for you MS?! I think Don Mattrick all by himself handed Sony (and the PS4) the win - truly, Sony could not have had a better salesman!!

Now let's compare sales with the series X and S, which have sold some 20 million units. About 1/2 of what the PS5 has sold.

Microsoft Is Struggling To Sell Xboxes, Again

Even Game Pass can't seem to make up the difference

https://kotaku.com/xbox-series-x-s-sales-microsoft-next-gen-exclusives-1850375665

There are more than a few shades of the start of the Xbox One console cycle here, the stormy period that originally led Microsoft to stop reporting the actual sales figures for its consoles altogether. If anything, competition is even more fierce this time around, between the runaway success of the Nintendo Switch and the PS5 selling faster than the PS4 despite supply shortages brought on by a historic pandemic.

Edited by avatar!

@avatar! No, I don't really believe that Microsoft would have taken over the console world and been declared winner. Even with the apparent success of the 360 (and in spite of its MANY launch hardware problems).  They certainly screwed things up with XOne, but they were never a clear leader.  The Wii sold more consoles and the PS3 did excellent in its late years.

If they hadn't bumbled the XOne launch then we'd probably have something similar to the iPad vs Surface level of competition with MS offering something with different features and appealing to a different customer, but it would never have been MS on top undisputed.  Japan would have just never fallen in line with that, and they are a huge market for console gaming.

And once again, the giant text from Kotaku right in the middle misses the entire point.  Microsoft doesn't care if you play their service on an Xbox.  They want you as a customer on whatever platform you choose.  They would put Gamepass on Playstation and Switch if they could.

Also, Microsoft has done more to enable people to use technology than any other company, government or entity in history.  All while screwing them over according to you.

With all that said, I don't expect MS to stick to the "Gamepass" strategy forever.  They will likely do something else that tries to get a different segment of the market while Kotaku will continue to call them losers.  And yet there's no sign of them abandoning the XBox hardware either.

Edited by wongojack

On 6/16/2023 at 3:49 PM, wongojack said:

@avatar! No, I don't really believe that Microsoft would have taken over the console world and been declared winner.

I think the timing was ripe for MS to be a huge contender in the console wars. I'm not sure "winner" is the right word, since the Switch may sell more consoles than the PS5 but that doesn't mean that the PS5 is doing "poorly" by any stretch of the imagination. At any rate, MS could easily have been head-to-head with N and Sony. However, they screwed that up royally.

Microsoft doesn't care if you play their service on an Xbox.  They want you as a customer on whatever platform you choose. 

Since MS has invested many millions into their Xbox console, I'm willing to bet MS would disagree with you! I am sure they want people as a customer on their console, NOT any other. As Xbox chief Phil Spencer, said - the previous generation which MS screwed up to incredible precision was "the worst generation to lose" - yeah, they definitely care about what platform you play on.

Also, Microsoft has done more to enable people to use technology than any other company, government or entity in history.  All while screwing them over according to you.

Okay, I would like to see proof - articles from scholars etc. as to whether MS really has in your own words, "done more to enable people to use technology than any other company, government or entity in history." Color me skeptical, but I'm willing to be open minded, so show me the proof!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, avatar! said:

Okay, I would like to see proof - articles from scholars etc. as to whether MS really has in your own words, "done more to enable people to use technology than any other company, government or entity in history." Color me skeptical, but I'm willing to be open minded, so show me the proof!

I don't really read scholarly articles about technology, so I won't have any of those.  I'd go the simple route and state that they achieved their vision of every home in America having a computer and then extended it.  Now their mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.  More than 70% of all computers run Windows, and on that platform, easily millions of people (maybe hundreds of millions) have access to create and compute.  In recent years, Microsoft software like Office and SQL server runs on operating systems other than Windows and the Azure cloud platform is OS agnostic.  It doesn't really matter who you are or where you are, if you want to create something on a computer, you will at least consider doing it using something made by Microsoft.  There's no other company with that kind of reach across platforms and software families in 2023 and there never has been before.

Desktop operating system market share 2013-2023 | Statista

Nice Phil Spencer quotes in here:  Microsoft Kinda Doesn't Care If You Buy An Xbox Series X - GameSpot

How many consoles do I sell versus how many consoles does another company sell; Sony, or Nintendo, or other companies back in the day?' That’s not our approach. If that was our approach, we wouldn’t put our games on PC. We wouldn’t put our games on Xbox One. We wouldn’t do xCloud and allow people to play games on their phones.

That's 2020.  In 2023, Microsoft reported cooler earnings for their Devices division which is Xbox and Surface.  They've come out with a few statements to indicate to investors that they aren't going to stop making those brands, but the strategy has been the same for years.  If what they wanted most was for you to buy an Xbox then they wouldn't let you play their games on PC and mobile.  Minecraft by itself would have sold tons of Series S/X consoles.

23 hours ago, avatar! said:

Since MS has invested many millions into their Xbox console, I'm willing to bet MS would disagree with you! I am sure they want people as a customer on their console, NOT any other.

Aside from XBox, they have made forays into hardware such as Surface and Windows Phone 😂 and Zune 😂 but they have always been happy to have Windows OS on anybody's hardware, Dell, Asus, IBM/Lenovo, HP/Compaq... They just want full software control. The question when it comes to consoles is that they could make games for other consoles, but not the operating system. It's a different space than any other sort of hardware. Like Apple, they want to be in control of an ecosystem and have a certain approach for that. Sega failed after the Dreamcast, which ran on Windows CE. I don't doubt if things went differently they would have wanted to license that out to as many companies as possible. So yes their platform, bit not necessarily their own console exclusively. But nobody else was buying. So they started XBox. They have the office and as The Road Ahead (1995) makes clear they have always wanted the living room as well as the rest of the home; XBox was simply the way they were able to get into the living room.

I think you and @wongojack are both right on this.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Yeah, MS has no problem throwing billions down the drain on a possible market corner. That's their cost of doing business, enabled by the ridiculous bank that windows and office pulls from being worldwide mass-market OS. You can furnish a house just with stuff MS has tried and failed to win.

Also I just popped in out of curiosity; I've never even heard of this game before.

There Will Be No ‘Redfall’ Redemption Arc For Xbox

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/10/22/there-will-be-no-redfall-redemption-arc-for-xbox/

The past few years, we have seen a litany of “redemption” stories in the video game realm. Some view these as a symptom of corporate execs rushing unfinished games, others believe them to be inspirational stories of dev hard work. Or you know, both.

This is happened with Fallout 76, No Man’s Sky and most recently, Cyberpunk 2077, games with horrific launches that spent years fixing and adding to their games to make them stellar. The most famous example of all is Final Fantasy XIV, which effectively deleted itself and came back as one of the best MMOs on the market, even finding a lore reason to do so.

But there is no viable path toward a true redemption arc for Redfall. This simply cannot happen every time a bad game comes out. We just saw a major patch for the game hit that added 60 fps, altered how shooting feels, made the world more densely populated and altered enemy AI.

It didn’t move the needle. Not at all. Some praised Arkane for getting out 60 fps like they promised, but a couple weeks after the patch hit, Redfall is not in Xbox’s top 50 most played games, despite being on Game Pass. Its Steam peaks are currently around 40 players total, its lows, seven players. This is identical to before the patch arrived.

It's a miss. I still respect Arkane, I think they’re a great studio, but this just did not come together and is not in a position to be redeemed no matter how many more years are put into it.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Speaking of, I'm pretty psyched to tackle Cyberpunk next year.  Especially with the massive content they update they gave it recently.

Still have no idea why this game caught so much hate. I have an Xbox Series X, bought it on launch day played through the entire game with maybe one or two crashes and had a great experience. It was a great, fun ass game. I must also be in the gaming minority because no matter how great a game is it’ll always have less than a month lifespan for me, I have no clue how people pay $60-$70 for a game and expect 2 years worth of new content without paying a dime (not talking about you here Reed, just something I’ve noticed).

People gotta manage their own expectations lmao

Edited by a3quit4s

4 hours ago, fox said:

Redfall?  Old news, there is a new King Kong everybody is dogpiling on

👏👏👏get on it

I mean I expect most movies to be drek, but overall Bethesda has a stunning record... er, had a stunning record, of publishing great games - even if many are buggy 🙂

As for Redfall, here's a recent review

Screenshot-from-2023-10-24-23-08-44.png