IGNORED

Taking in Stray Cats

fcgamer

There's an orange cat that hangs out on the same alley in which I live. I've seen the guy off and on for quite vsome time, and he looks to be decently fed. I've spoken to a few neighbours about the guy, it seems he is indeed a stray.

Recently the guy has gotten brazen enough to hang out downstairs, right outside of my apartment. His colourings remind me a lot of a cat I used to have back in the USA, who I loved dearly, but had passed away about six or seven years ago. So maybe he was reincarnated?

Anyways, tonight the fluffy decided to enter into the apartment building stairwell and was relaxed there, and he meowed at me as I left the building.

I've thought recently about taking the guy in, but aside from truly confirming that he is indeed a stray, and also adding more expenses to my monthly expenses, the number one concern is that I already have a cat, whom I've had and raised from kitten to adulthood, a five year old cat.

For those with multiple cats / pets, I'd reckon that the first cat would get insanely jealous, hate the new cat, and all harmony would be lost. Is that a correct assumption? Any other factors that could make a difference?

Most likely I won't try to adopt the orange street buddy of mine, but I'm just sort of thinking aloud here

Edit: oh and pictures just for the curious

IMG20191112164007.jpg

IMG20191111172231.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 2

We have 3 cats, not by choice. I had 1. My GF had 1. We bought a house together a few years ago and our 2 cats simply don’t get along. They just don’t seem to like each other. Last year for Christmas we got my mom a kitten. She had him for about 3 weeks and my mom passed suddenly. Well, guess who got another cat. The funny thing is, my cat gets along with him, and my GF’s cat gets along with him. Its just the other two that don’t get along. It’s the strangest dynamic but whatevs. 

As far as your stray, I’d let him into your apt slowly over time and see what happens. They could become best buds. He could just be looking for a loving home. Personally, I’d give him a chance.

We’ve got a 12-13 year old cat that the girl took in from stray many years ago when he was just a kitten and also a 5-6 year old we took in a few years ago when the in-laws moved to Florida.  

They are totally different personalities with the newer cat being significantly more aggressive but it’s all worked out fine.  She gets yelled at sometimes for picking on him and there are cat fights from time to time but overall they really have a happy coexistence.  They team up regularly to be obnoxious in unison (usually at 5am).

• Like 2

@MinusWorlds Let him in initially with the other cat present in the same room, or slowly work them up, first getting used to each other's scents before an initial formal meeting?

I'm not going to rush out tomorrow and let the furry guy in or anything like that, but if he keeps hanging around down by my apartment building (before he had been up at the other side of the alley), then I might want to do something. I'd hate to see the guy get hit by a vehicle or something, and I really do look forward to seeing him as I near my home.

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@Hammerfestus hahaha, yes the one I currently have loves to be obnoxious in the early morning too. With double trouble, I shudder to imagine lol.

I was cursing them the other night.  Fed them before I went to bed and fast forward to 2am there’s pounding on the bedroom door because they ate all the food and want more.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

@MinusWorlds Let him in initially with the other cat present in the same room, or slowly work them up, first getting used to each other's scents before an initial formal meeting?

I'm not going to rush out tomorrow and let the furry guy in or anything like that, but if he keeps hanging around down by my apartment building (before he had been up at the other side of the alley), then I might want to do something. I'd hate to see the guy get hit by a vehicle or something, and I really do look forward to seeing him as I near my home.

Yeah I think that’s a great idea. 

17 hours ago, m308gunner said:

Temporarily moved in with the inlaws last year. They had two cats, we had three. Pee. Pee everywhere. In my slippers. On my daughter's bed. On rugs. Everywhere. Went to lie down for the night one time and landed right in a damp patch of cat piss. Almost lost my mind. #Neveragain.

This would be the only concern I would have. When they get territorial and start spraying everything. 

21 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Is this cat friendly? Does it let you pet it? 

It's gotten quite close to me, tried to rub up against my leg during our one recent encounter. I resisted the urge to actually attempt a petting, as I don't want to possibly spread anything to my indoor cat 

23 hours ago, m308gunner said:

Temporarily moved in with the inlaws last year. They had two cats, we had three. Pee. Pee everywhere. In my slippers. On my daughter's bed. On rugs. Everywhere. Went to lie down for the night one time and landed right in a damp patch of cat piss. Almost lost my mind. #Neveragain.

You did get litter boxes for them right?  I personally use/recommend Titty Cats! 🙂

2 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

Things I have learned taking in strays is one you don't own them they own you, and 2nd if you take in a female best hope she isn't pregnant or you will end up with a shit load more cats than you intended. 

Awwww but look at how cute those kittens will be!  Still cats should be spayed/neutered so the guy in the above video doesn't get mad at you.

PS: Am I the only one who just can't resist meowing back at a kitty and try to do it in the same way he/she meowed at you?  Still if you try to do that in the above videos your voice box will NOT be too happy!!

• Like 1

But you know how that one verse in that Toby Keith song goes right?

You know curtain climbers, and kitties, and little fur balls
It don't matter what you call em you gotta have a whole [house/apartment] full of 'em
Ain't nothing in the world like kitties!  Get'cha some!

Foster+Success.png

Screen-Shot-2016-08-04-at-5.25.22-PM-102

12c45b95d3f30f564dbb1852a61ea073.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen my buddy for a spell, had been getting worried about him. I heard him last night and tonight though, but didn't actually see him.

I just went out a few moments ago to pay a bill, and I noticed the orange fuzzy and a friend were sitting together downstairs on parked scooters, chilling 🙂

Be careful, a lot of cats wander around all day but are owned by someone. My neighbour lets his cat out every morning and calls it back in every night, even through Canadian winters like today. It followed me to my door a few times and looked like it wanted to come in but I knew he'd be looking for it soon.

I will say, I am a Dog person 100%.  I like Cats...that aren't mine.  But...one super cold winter I was walking in after reaching home, and this little black cat with white spots (I called him Oreo) came up to me overly comfortable meowing up a storm.  It was like negative temperatures, and I felt terrible ignoring him, so I locked up my 2 big dogs and let him in.

This little guy freaking loved me for some reason, he let me pet him/her.  I gave him some deli meat and he went to town, I really didn't know what to do.  I ended up calling the animal control to come get him and in the meantime, he jumped up on my lap curled up and went to sleep (I'm like seriously could you be ANY cooler ya friggin cat).

Then animal control came and I saw the OTHER side of Oreo...he was not a happy camper when they kenneled him and took him off.  Kinda miss that lil guy to this day...hope he found a good home he was a cool kat.

• 3 weeks later...

Was talking with the "owner" today. The furry guy is snipped, they actually hoping I can take him in. I said if he gets along fine with my other cat, I'd more than willing to snag him after Chinese New Year. The one other requirement is he'd have to get used to the indoor life, I'm not willing to let him out.

IMG20191217165628.jpg

• Like 2