IGNORED

Movie Debate #117: Waterworld

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

23 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

It’s not that harsh really coming from me.  I rarely ever watch movies by myself.  I just don’t have the free time or attention span to sit down for 2+ hours and watch a movie from start to finish so anything I do watch is done in chunks.  I’ve never really been a movie guy.  I’ve only seen slightly more movies than @Gloves .   I just never went back to it.  

Gotcha. I guess when you said you stopped watching it I assumed that's because you thought it was shit.

Not being a "movie person" is a different deal if it's not really your thing. 

23 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yo I've seen tons of movies dunno what you're talking aboot.

"It's not aboot diplomacy, it's aboot respect, it's aboot, it's aboot....What are they laughing at???" 

"Blame Canada!"

20 hours ago, fox said:

In the opening scene, Kevin Costner drinks his own piss. 😏

As others said, the sets, the stunts, and a hammy performance from The Hop are excellent.

But the flip side is, half this movie is being trapped in a small boat with Costner playing a really unlikeable character.  He is just yelling at and abusing this young girl, and it is really uncomfortable.

Yeah, this is true. They set the stage pretty intensely with drinking his own piss.

And also yeah... he does mistreat the woman the whole time..... I geuss that's to show how hard times it is? and he's a "good guy" because he saves her from the guy he sells her to....? 

I bet if I watched it a second time it would be a bit more uncomfortable. 

He cuts the kids hair for doing something wrong doesn't he?

Anyways.... yeah.... that was a bit much.

Edited by AirVillain

I really like this movie. When I first heard it was a critical failure, I got confused and thought they were talking about a different movie. I still don't understand what people don't like about it, the story is interesting and the fantasy world is well designed. Plus Kevin Costner is one of my favourite actors. It's fine not to like it but it isn't a bad movie.

• Like 2

It's better than its reputation, but pretty standard post-apocalyptic action fare for the time. In fact, it's pretty much The Road Warrior on water and fewer bodybuilders as villains.

There's absolutely nothing fresh or surprising about it, which to be fair, a lot of people are okay with that. There's some good stunts and cool explosions. Jeanne Tripplehorn looked good, and it had Tina Majorino pre-Napoleon Dynamite.

If it wasn't for the budget, it would probably be lost in a sea of other action movies from that era. (See what I did there?)

Edited by Tulpa

On 4/6/2023 at 7:06 AM, AirVillain said:

I can't recall many "special effects" in this film other than all the explosions. Which is a lot actually, haha. 

There was also the sea monster the Mariner turned into chow, that was onscreen for like 15 seconds. It was REALLY bad 90s CGI, so I imagine that's why its screentime was limited. 😛

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Doesn't he cut it so she looks like a boy?  To protect her?

I dunno, I haven't seen it in 15+ years

Not sure... only seen it once. 🙃

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I really like this movie. When I first heard it was a critical failure, I got confused and thought they were talking about a different movie. I still don't understand what people don't like about it, the story is interesting and the fantasy world is well designed. Plus Kevin Costner is one of my favourite actors. It's fine not to like it but it isn't a bad movie.

Yeah.... it's tough to say that it is categorically "bad", I agree. 

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

There was also the sea monster the Mariner turned into chow, that was onscreen for like 15 seconds. It was REALLY bad 90s CGI, so I imagine that's why its screentime was limited. 😛

Haha, I didn't even remember seeing it. I kind of remember the part in the movie you're talking about now that you mention it, though. Definitely be waiting all movie for that 15s now, haha. 

Social Team · Posted

6, boarderline 7.  If someone like sci-fi or dystopian movies I would totally recommend the movie.  I remember enjoying the movie when it first came out.  Like any sci-fi film if you want to nit pick at it's foundation you'll find flaws.  "It's a movie."  Don't think to hard about shit, enjoy the ride.

But yeah, obviously inspired by mad max. 

• Like 1