IGNORED

Have you taken on any insane challenges lately?

mbd39

I'm on a misguided quest to 1cc Snake, Rattle n Roll. Once I got lucky and reached the final boss without a game over and two lives left, but I failed. The best I've done is beat the game only using one continue.

The first 8 levels are fairly easy once you get the hang of them so aren't even worth mentioning. It's all about the last two ice stages and the final boss. Level 9 is a difficult ice stage but entirely doable with practice. But the end of level 10 is so freaking hard, 20x harder than anything else before it. You have to navigate an ascending row of slippery, slanted ice cubes with no wall behind them. You'll usually either be too aggressive and slip off the back of the cubes or not be aggressive enough and slide back down and have to start the climb over again. Fortunately if you slip off the back and die you'll stay on the cube you're on so that it's possible to make progress. It's so hard that it feels like luck when I can pull it off.

The final boss isn't easy either. It's a giant foot that moves around in a circle on the surface of the moon. You have to lick it a bunch of times while also trying to avoid two instant death meteors.  If you stop licking for even a second it regains all of its health. The faster you can mash the better. Thankfully there's no RNG in this part and it's the same patterns all the time but it's still tough.

Has anyone actually no-deathed this game? This is one of those games where I can't imagine not dying at all. Mostly because of stage 10.

EDIT: I guess speed runners have no-deathed  this. Maybe savestate practice helps.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'm on a misguided quest to 1cc Snake, Rattle n Roll. Once I got lucky and reached the final boss without a game over and two lives left, but I failed. The best I've done is beat the game only using one continue.

The first 8 levels are fairly easy once you get the hang of them so aren't even worth mentioning. It's all about the last two ice stages and the final boss. Level 9 is a difficult ice stage but entirely doable with practice. But the end of level 10 is so freaking hard, 20x harder than anything else before it. You have to navigate an ascending row of slippery, slanted ice cubes with no wall behind them. You'll usually either be too aggressive and slip off the back of the cubes or not be aggressive enough and slide back down and have to start the climb over again. Fortunately if you slip off the back and die you'll stay on the cube you're on so that it's possible to make progress. It's so hard that it feels like luck when I can pull it off.

The final boss isn't easy either. It's a giant foot that moves around in a circle on the surface of the moon. You have to lick it a bunch of times while also trying to avoid two instant death meteors.  If you stop licking for even a second it regains all of its health. The faster you can mash the better. Thankfully there's no RNG in this part and it's the same patterns all the time but it's still tough.

Has anyone actually no-deathed this game? This is one of those games where I can't imagine not dying at all. Mostly because of stage 10.

EDIT: I guess speed runners have no-deathed  this. Maybe savestate practice helps.

I haven't no-deathed SRnR but I have 1cc'ed it. I wasn't even trying to 1cc, just trying to beat, but it ended up a 1cc. If you've got the early stages mastered, you can do it. You just need to keep trying until you get good runs on the ice levels and boss on the same attempt.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Dang, 1cc Snake Rattle n Roll.... that's a tough one. 

Nothing to add here. Ironically, I'm currently getting stomped on by Super Punch-Out!

I normally beat it my first try, but this time around it's been giving me trouble.

Super Macho Man and Rick Bruiser in particular. Didn't have much issue with anyone else, not even Nick. I believe... Rick is the last guy? 🤣 

Fuckin' Super Macho Man is being such a dick and I can't seem to hang. 

I will blame two things.... 1) Playing on the SNES Classic and 2) playing on a TV I'm not used to (it's higher and the angle I'm looking at the screen is not dead on like my CRT).

That's my excuse. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AirVillain

6 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Dang, 1cc Snake Rattle n Roll.... that's a tough one. 

Nothing to add here. Ironically, I'm currently getting stomped on by Super Punch-Out!

I normally beat it my first try, but this time around it's been giving me trouble.

Super Macho Man and Rick Bruiser in particular. Didn't have much issue with anyone else, not even Nick. I believe... Rick is the last guy? 🤣 

Fuckin' Super Macho Man is being such a dick and I can't seem to hang. 

I will blame two things.... 1) Playing on the SNES Classic and 2) playing on a TV I'm not used to (it's higher and the angle I'm looking at the screen is not dead on like my CRT).

That's my excuse. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think lag hurts Super Punch-Out as much as MTPO. I can beat Super Punch-Out and get some pretty good times on emulator whereas I need to be playing MTPO on real hardware and on a CRT in order to beat it.

Dodging all of Macho's spin punches gives me some trouble in Super Punch-Out just as it does in MTPO.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I don't think lag hurts Super Punch-Out as much as MTPO. I can beat Super Punch-Out and get some pretty good times on emulator whereas I need to be playing MTPO on real hardware and on a CRT in order to beat it.

Dodging all of Macho's spin punches gives me some trouble in Super Punch-Out just as it does in MTPO.

No, you're right, definitely not. I can't even play MTPO/most NES classic games because of it. But the SNES is much better and other games I've played just fine.

I figured since the SNES Classic was much better for the lag I'd be okay.... but.... I just keep getting stomped. 

So I'm blaming the "lag" and angle of the TV, haha. 😆 I'm not too proud to come back here and provide the truth of whether I beat it first try next time I play on CRT. (life transition and all my stuff is packed away).

Yeah... I know he's going to do the spin punches but he always fuckin' nails me. I feel like I'm jsut a step behind and can't catch up. 

I'll give it a minute and start at Gabby Jay. 🤣 Started with Bob Charlie last night, but couldn't finish Super Macho Man. I gave up after 2 tries. But... Still... He beat the shit out of me, it was pathetic.

I know for sure I could do better on Hoy Quarlow and the other guy before the Bruisers but I'm too stubborn to go straight there. And I prefer a mostly full playthrough, especially to get the reflexes up. 

Edited by AirVillain

At one point, I never saw myself as being able to beat Snake Rattle n Roll.  It was one of those games that I could never seem to get the hang of.  I finally beat it a few years ago and I consider that one of my most satisfying game completions ever.  I even went back to beat it again a few months later to prove to myself that I could beat it again and that the first completion wasn't a fluke.

While I could see myself 1ccing the game, it's not something I'd want to put the effort into.  I think I've made it to the final boss without using a continue in at least one of my attempts, but I have more trouble beating it than with getting through the final stage.  Fast button mashing has never been my thing and having to move around while button mashing makes it that much harder.

As for insane challenges, I usually don't try to do more than beat a game nowadays.  I did beat a couple precision platformers that were rather challenging recently, Necrosphere and Milli & Greg.  The controls in Necrosphere weren't so great and made it more frustrating than it needed to be, so I didn't bother collecting everything or beating the challenge stage.  Milli & Greg I did get more into and I did 100% it.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:19 AM, LHCGreg said:

I haven't no-deathed SRnR but I have 1cc'ed it. I wasn't even trying to 1cc, just trying to beat, but it ended up a 1cc. If you've got the early stages mastered, you can do it. You just need to keep trying until you get good runs on the ice levels and boss on the same attempt.

What's the difference between lives and credits? Are there multiple lives per credit?

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

What's the difference between lives and credits? Are there multiple lives per credit?

That is generally the case, yes. There's 1LC and 1CC runs which differentiate between the two, with 1 Life Clear being the obviously more challenging. 

6 hours ago, Red said:

At one point, I never saw myself as being able to beat Snake Rattle n Roll.  It was one of those games that I could never seem to get the hang of.  I finally beat it a few years ago and I consider that one of my most satisfying game completions ever.  I even went back to beat it again a few months later to prove to myself that I could beat it again and that the first completion wasn't a fluke.

While I could see myself 1ccing the game, it's not something I'd want to put the effort into.  I think I've made it to the final boss without using a continue in at least one of my attempts, but I have more trouble beating it than with getting through the final stage.  Fast button mashing has never been my thing and having to move around while button mashing makes it that much harder.

As for insane challenges, I usually don't try to do more than beat a game nowadays.  I did beat a couple precision platformers that were rather challenging recently, Necrosphere and Milli & Greg.  The controls in Necrosphere weren't so great and made it more frustrating than it needed to be, so I didn't bother collecting everything or beating the challenge stage.  Milli & Greg I did get more into and I did 100% it.

I'm getting to where I can consistently beat the final boss. I use my index finger to mash rather than my thumb which helps. If I'm properly mashing then I can explode the boss without having to follow it much.

This game is so satisfying once you get the hang of it. Most people will be turned off by the learning curve and assume that the controls are bad before they get used to them.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 6:22 PM, mbd39 said:

So anyway, I did it. I was on my last life.

It was a pretty decent run. I had 8 lives going into level 10.

Hot dang!

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

Nice moves. And I agree about the controls. There's a bit of a learning curve, but they're actually quite good once you get the hang of it. 

I liken it to Double Dragon 2. At first it feels like the controls are shit, but once you actually figure them out the control function is incredible and very intuitive. 

59 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Hot dang!

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

Nice moves. And I agree about the controls. There's a bit of a learning curve, but they're actually quite good once you get the hang of it. 

I liken it to Double Dragon 2. At first it feels like the controls are shit, but once you actually figure them out the control function is incredible and very intuitive. 

No it's shit then too.

• Confused 1

I started playing Cliffhanger on Sega CD again recently.  I've been taking a little break from it the last couple of weeks but I think I'm going to play it some more this weekend.  The goal I'd been last aiming for was to get past the stage that ends with Gabe traversing a cave with pits of doom and lots of bats.  Then when you get out the other side the bats form one big Cauldron and chase you so you have to run while dodging fallen logs and jumping more pits of doom.  The following level is the 2nd Snowboarding venture which I had never made it to before so I expected to loose my remaining lives/continues in quick succession.  Too my shock I was able to get through the entire level!  I think having gotten Gud at the first snowboard stage after many plays made it easier for me to see what's coming and make very quick successful decisions.  I really love those two levels and I'd like to git gud enough to run 'em each without taking a hit at some point.  Anyway, after that is a major climbing stage, which is the next goal.  I'm getting close to the end, but I feel like I've been playing this game casually in bursts here and there now for quite a while...

23 hours ago, PII said:

I started playing Cliffhanger on Sega CD again recently.  I've been taking a little break from it the last couple of weeks but I think I'm going to play it some more this weekend.  The goal I'd been last aiming for was to get past the stage that ends with Gabe traversing a cave with pits of doom and lots of bats.  Then when you get out the other side the bats form one big Cauldron and chase you so you have to run while dodging fallen logs and jumping more pits of doom.  The following level is the 2nd Snowboarding venture which I had never made it to before so I expected to loose my remaining lives/continues in quick succession.  Too my shock I was able to get through the entire level!  I think having gotten Gud at the first snowboard stage after many plays made it easier for me to see what's coming and make very quick successful decisions.  I really love those two levels and I'd like to git gud enough to run 'em each without taking a hit at some point.  Anyway, after that is a major climbing stage, which is the next goal.  I'm getting close to the end, but I feel like I've been playing this game casually in bursts here and there now for quite a while...

i beat this game about a year ago.  i definitely had to put some time into this one.   i think the snowboarding levels are fantastic and even though there are only 2 of them i feel they dramatically enhance the game and makes it so much more enjoyable.  

21 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

i beat this game about a year ago.  i definitely had to put some time into this one.   i think the snowboarding levels are fantastic and even though there are only 2 of them i feel they dramatically enhance the game and makes it so much more enjoyable.  

Yeah, w/o the Snowboarding levels it would be a good, fairly unique beat 'em up w/a shortcoming or two, but the addition of the Snowboarding moves the game into the realm of Greatness as far as I'm concerned.  The orchestral score is awesome too.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:08 PM, mbd39 said:

Ever since the second time I beat the final boss, I've been wondering about this.  Are we sure that fast button mashing is necessary?  I remember being surprised when I beat it that time because it felt like I wasn't mashing as fast as the first time I beat it.  It made me wonder if slower, but evenly paced button mashing would work just as well.