IGNORED

Broadway - What's Everyone's Favorite?

fcgamer

I've been a big fan of professional theater shows since I was an adolescent heading into my teens. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to see quite a few shows on Broadway, as well as some in venues in Toronto, DC, etc. 

While watching Lion King in New York, I remember the show suddenly stopping at one point after Rafiki had been twirling her staff around. Apparently during the twirl, she ended up hitting herself in the head with it, and had collapsed on the floor. Everyone in the audience initially thought it was an intermission, though it didn't make sense, and then we realized that the actress had been hurt.

I haven't seen any shows for quite awhile, unfortunately, but the big three for me were always (in no particular order) Aida (the Elton John / Tim Rice musical, haven't seen the opera), Les Miserables, and Phantom of the Opera. At the moment the soundtrack for Aida has been getting a lot of playtime at mine, overtaking the other two shows, but those are classics, which also have great soundtracks.

Last year a touring company came to Taiwan to perform the Lion King in Taipei, but since things were still up in the air with covid-19, with a painful heart I declined seeing the show.

Then there's opera, totally different thing but anyone into it? I personally haven't seen any as of yet, but I hope to stop by the recently built opera house in Taichung to catch a performance at some point, if they actually do host performances there. Over the past few years I've been getting into opera music as well.

Lloyd-Webber's Phantom of the Opera is a standout for me, especially soundtrack-wise. Saw the original touring company with Michael Crawford for that one.  Another favorite is Spamalot, as I'm a big Monty Python fan.  That's also the only show I ever saw at an actual Broadway theatre and was lucky enough to catch the first run with Tim Curry, Hank Azaria [who stole the show] and David Hyde Pierce.

The play I've seen the most, though, is The Rocky Horror Show, with Little Shop of Horrors a close second. I think this list tells you something about my personality.

I just saw the Book of Mormon on Saturday, it was absolutely fantastic. Spider-Man turn off the dark was pretty awesome as well. I have to rack my brain to remember if I had seen others. Although, I’m pretty sure I saw phantom of the opera as well but don’t remember it leaving an impression. I was also much younger so maybe didn’t appreciate it

Moderator · Posted

I’ve been to a fair amount. Most have been solid, but my favorites are the Christmas comedies a small little theatre does near me. Really funny stuff based on common Minnesota/Northwoods stereotypes. For mainstream stuff Spamalot, Elf and Hamilton were standouts. Still would like to see The Book of Mormon. 

We got season passes this year so that’s been surprisingly enjoyable.  

We actually saw Book of Mormon some years back and it was awesome.  Definitely made me more agreeable when she brought up the season passes thing.  

So far we’ve seen Beetlejuice and Hadestown and both have been really enjoyable.  I was a bit skeptical of Hadestown at first but it ended up being pretty good.  Pretty happy we’ve got Aladdin coming up here soon.  

I'm actually more into Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway and the regional equivalents. More adventurous stuff that doesn't appeal to the masses. I see a show at least once a week, sometimes several.

Not a big musical guy, but my favorite musical for me is Damn Yankees. Book of Mormon was enjoyable, too.

i think the only stage shows i've seen are Rent (funny story: i went to a small school, my graduating class was only 28 kids. All of the seniors in chorus class got to travel to see a musical. i joined chorus as a senior just to take this trip, the only other seniors in the class were 3 of my best friends. good times!) and a local production of Phantom of the Opera. they were both fine i guess. 

• Like 1

The only Broadway show I've seen was "Boy from Oz"... starring Hugh Jackman as Liza Minelli's first husband, Peter Allen. I don't think that was our first choice, but hey, it was starring Wolverine. 

aside from that, I've seen mostly seen high school productions... Grease, Oklahoma, Carousel..

I saw a local theatre production of South Pacific.

Best one was a version of Macbeth at the Folger theatre, directed by Teller, which had some incredible illusions built into it for the witches, the appearing ghosts, the floating dagger, and the blood soaked hands..

• Like 1