IGNORED

Retail Super Mario Bros. Title Screen Variations

fcgamer

23 minutes ago, Ankos said:

For game companies that did pirate stuff in addition to originals I usually consider the pirate stuff part of their set, so some of these could be tied to bit corp (The folks who made the first unlicensed Taiwanese fc game, and made one of the earliest famiclones. They also had their own handheld game system called the gamate. Some of their more legit stuff got internationally released, out in Europe and Australia).

Agreed, they would be part of the set for people collect more than just plain vanilla missionary style boring ass NES NA licensed -SE set, shelved on some cheap shitty Ikea shelves, all the while giving themselves attaboys for owning a full set , lol

• Haha 2

Just now, MrWunderful said:

Oh so they are unlicensed then. 
Curious on your thoughts regarding editing vs hacking. What makes them editors, and not hackers?

do these title screens have any games attached? Or just screens?

Yeah of course it has the full games running, I'd consider these to be bootlegs/pirates as they're just copies of SMB with hacked title screens. A few alter the colors though, implement other properties, etc.

I personally don't think I'd distinguish between an editor and a hacker, but on some of the title screens they will call themselves "editors".

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Agreed, they would be part of the set for people collect more than just plain vanilla missionary style boring ass NES NA licensed -SE set, shelved on some cheap shitty Ikea shelves, all the while giving themselves attaboys for owning a full set , lol

Hey man don't you dare knock the IKEA shelves, that shit's affordable and gets the job done. I've seen some of your shelves, don't even.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah of course it has the full games running, I'd consider these to be bootlegs/pirates as they're just copies of SMB with hacked title screens. A few alter the colors though, implement other properties, etc.

I personally don't think I'd distinguish between an editor and a hacker, but on some of the title screens they will call themselves "editors".

OK I see. 

When you said “professional” I thought you meant a legit company like sony, microsoft, nintendo etc.

Now I understand by retail, you mean on the grey market. These appear to be made for selling at flea markets, junk shops, etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Count said:

I feel attacked!

Stop giving yourself attaboys!

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Hey man don't you dare knock the IKEA shelves, that shit's affordable and gets the job done. I've seen some of your shelves, don't even.

I would take clean, new, well designed flat pack furniture before I bought a used piece of crap. There might be cockroaches, or lice or something lol

High quality hand made is a different story

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

The shops don't sell retrousb products, no.

Cmon Dave, we all know that for the going price of some retrousb games, you could buy a whole village worth of Pika Man carts. Maybe even hire and pay well a few locals to search out all the copies of Svper Mary BorsII

And The AVS is actually the best famiclone ever made! 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Do all the regular shops sell poorly made counterfeit trinkets like that?

I feel confused. If you're not referring to the low quality counterfeit stuff that retrousb, rose colored gaming, etc were cranking out, then what sort of poorly made counterfeit trinkets are you referring to? 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, fcgamer said:

I feel confused. If you're not referring to the low quality counterfeit stuff that retrousb, rose colored gaming, etc were cranking out, then what sort of poorly made counterfeit trinkets are you referring to? 

Neither of those are low quality lol. In fact some of those rose colored releases are handcrafted, well made and fetch a high premium on eBay

The low quality, bottom basement bootlegs im referring to is those you started the thread about. The dead cockroach-filled, smoke tar covered, partial label ripped 65 in 1 bought for 1 TWD from a toothless lady. Maybe next to some spongebob bootleg dvd. Pikaman game on a green FC cart that has a bad dragonball z goku on it. 
Do most shops sell things like that?

Sure they arent instantly resell-able for a huge amount of american money like NTSC-US NES rares/commons but they are just as important marinating in the moist air and donating to the hot musk of your back room game cave. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You must subscribe to the theory that hate clicks are the way to go, or at least your "persona" does.

If you think RetroUSB and Rose Colored were low quality, then you've obviously never seen one in person. 

• Agree 3

If Taiwan was anything like Thailand in the late 80's/90's they didn't really have chain stores that sold electronics and there was little to no regulation as to what was allowed to be sold.

Legit licensed stuff was sold in the same store as hacks/bootlegs and modded systems. 

I think Dave is simply saying that at that time just getting your well-made bootleg on the shelf in multiple places was enough of an accomplishment to be considered 'sold at retail' - even though that same scenario wasn't available in the west.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

The low quality, bottom basement bootlegs im referring to is those you started the thread about. The dead cockroach-filled, smoke tar covered, partial label ripped 65 in 1 bought for 1 TWD from a toothless lady. Maybe next to some spongebob bootleg dvd. Pikaman game on a green FC cart that has a bad dragonball z goku on it.

Old Taiwanese games were a bit more successful and high quality than that. For one, a lot of old-timey fakes from that time period in my experience (well...slightly after anyways, I think the stuff fcgamer is posting on is a good few years older than the majority of what I collect) were made in decent quality. Micro Genius and Bit Corp clones (some of the oldest) were particularly known for their quality. They also were not just sold in super under the table locations, in fact they were advertised in Asian Sources Electronics, and were sold internationally out in South America and Southeast Asia. With all that being said, I suppose you have the option to go to some random to buy something in poor condition, but you can do that in the USA too. Some nice things I've seen in some old pirate carts include holographic labels and boxes, plastic shells featuring glitter, shell shapes different from the official ones (usually with an artistic flair), and even metallic paint

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ankos said:

Old Taiwanese games were a bit more successful and high quality than that. For one, a lot of old-timey fakes from that time period in my experience (well...slightly after anyways, I think the stuff fcgamer is posting on is a good few years older than the majority of what I collect) were made in decent quality. Micro Genius and Bit Corp clones (some of the oldest) were particularly known for their quality. They also were not just sold in super under the table locations, in fact they were advertised in Asian Sources Electronics, and were sold internationally out in South America and Southeast Asia. With all that being said, I suppose you have the option to go to some random to buy something in poor condition, but you can do that in the USA too. Some nice things I've seen in some old pirate carts include holographic labels and boxes, plastic shells featuring glitter, shell shapes different from the official ones (usually with an artistic flair), and even metallic paint

Thats cool. Seems very similar to a lot of the reproductions Dave finds very low quality. Strange. 

I wish I saw more of those. I was heavy into 72 pin pirates/bootlegs/multicarts for a while and regularly bought them from an Indonesian guy from Illinois who worked in SE Asia half the year. The majority of the games he brought back for me were pretty gross and dirty, low quality. Nothing near holographic boxes lol. Lets see some pics!

46 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Thats cool. Seems very similar to a lot of the reproductions Dave finds very low quality. Strange. 

I wish I saw more of those. I was heavy into 72 pin pirates/bootlegs/multicarts for a while and regularly bought them from an Indonesian guy from Illinois who worked in SE Asia half the year. The majority of the games he brought back for me were pretty gross and dirty, low quality. Nothing near holographic boxes lol. Lets see some pics!

I won't be able to take pictures of what I've got for a few days, but I'll see what I have saved. Here is a picture of Pokemon Pearl by Makon Soft. This copy is not mine (my box came really beat up). The box has a nice rainbow foil look. This one is actually an original game that just steals IP, but the same publisher (Ka Sheng) did pirate carts with the same look.

The carts with ZCB IDs are mine, though the picture of the box I think is from a listing for one I saw on Xianyu (I couldn't find any pictures of my box). These were from Mainland China instead of Taiwan I think, but there are some pirate carts from Taiwan with similar qualities.

Finally I have a picture of some Ka Sheng carts with glitter in the plastic. I apologize for the photo not looking so good. It is just what I had saved for my carts. The one on the right is an original game with stolen IP. It has voice clips, and uses some neat tricks to squeeze out extra colors on the GBC, and I think even has rumble support (though my copy did not come in a rumble cart)

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

image0(1).jpeg

IMG_2909.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, and here is a picture of a cart with an fancy shell. Once again I am using an infringing original for this example, though the company that made this cart did use this same shell for pirate carts. They also gave this one a pinwheel hologram, which is nice. You might have heard of this company, Kong Feng. They made those GB Boy Colour clones that have the nice backlight

IMG_5585.JPG

• Like 1