IGNORED

I wish it was a good game

42 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Having played that table, and knowing gottlieb quality/play value -- stay away, far away, especially at that price.

DK made the best suggestion, get the Playtime tabletop SMB table.  Personally, it's more fun anyway for the price. 😉

Yeah, unless you're getting it for free, stay away from pretty much any table manufactured by Gottlieb.  They seem to require more maintenance over their lifetimes than those from other manufacturers (per the local pinball/amusement shop), and I've honestly never played a single Gottlieb machine and had any fun doing it.  Maybe their design is just more technically minded, where you're supposed to only think about trick shots, goals, and scoring, but after having played a ton of them, I avoid them like the plague.  If someone really wants a real pinball table, they should buy something by Bally, Williams, or Midway.  Even if it doesn't feature Mario on it, they'll be a lot happier with their purchase.  It's really telling that people who have played that particular machine are outright telling others to buy the cheap, junky tabletop toy for a better time.

• Agree 1

Just now, Nintegageo said:

@darkchylde28 ya, I own 2 Bally, 1 Capcom and 1 Stern. Gottlieb really missed their mark with both Super Mario and Street Fighter II machines 😞 

I mean, I've never played those particular Gottlieb machines, but can agree without having played them based on playing probably at least a couple of dozen different Gottlieb machines IRL as well as the stuff included on various Pinball Arcade incarnations and never having an iota of fun out of any of it.  It's like a bunch of mathematicians who loved to play with slide rules decided to make pinball machines, then spend as much money as possible for as badass a theme to cover it up as possible, only for that not to make any difference beyond tricking the first few players in an arcade community before everybody realizes that they, like all other Gottlieb machines are 💩.

A place in own here called Recbar has probably 50+ pinball tables and about an equal amount of arcade too.  They have both the shorty and the longer standard sized SMB tables.  They're not good, the short one is even more trash, but partly because it's boring and overly simple as it's like a kids learning table.  The big one brought up earlier, it's just not fun, no matter how many moving SMB parts there are, the screen, voices, sfx... playing it just sucks. Maybe it is too technical needing shot A to area B to do C or whatever, but it's a fun sucker.   You can't just go in never playing it before, or evne as someone who has bad luck or poor ability at pinball and get anything out of it for your time and money.  That's why i said get the the cheapo tabletop playtime table, it's basic, but it's far more fun (and easier to maintain.)

Gottlieb is definitely on a lower tier - especially all these years later.  It probably wouldn't have seemed that way at the end of the 70s and early 80s when arcades were booming though.  They were right there through the entire EM era with some classic titles, and they made the turn into solid state pretty well, but things seemed to kinda fall apart (at least in terms of gameplay) after that.

From the late 70s, I really enjoy Centigrade 37 which has the neat addition of a working temperature gauge in the backglass.  It gets above an 8/10 on Pinside, and I would agree.  Moving into the 80s, you've got both Black Hole and Haunted House, and I really enjoy both of those tables a lot.  After that there are some bright spots with Victory and Stargate which seem to be fan favorites, but most Gottlieb stuff toward the end feels just kind of average and sometimes like a blatant rip off of Bally.  Interesting note for Nintendo fans is that "Gladiators" from '93 originally started with a Zelda theme.

BTW, there are apparently 2 SMB themed tables from '92.  SMB and SMB Mushroom World.  Pinside gives SMB a 7.1 / 10 and Mushroom World a 6.3 / 10.  IMO - Pinside ratings tend to love every game, so those would be considered pretty low.  Pinside also says the value is more like $3000.

Pinside Game Archive » Gottlieb (manufacturer) | Pinside Game Archive

Related article - 21 Best Gottlieb Pinball Machines of the Modern Era | Kineticist

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 2:39 AM, Foochie776 said:

@dewisp02has one and they’re super cool. Fun machine 

Yup, have this and the much rarer one (mushroom world). Gottlieb games are great, so ignore the nay-sayers. They provide a different feel than other manufacturers and have some underrated games. Plus, they are fairly easy to work on. I do agree that Mario posted is waaayy too much. I wouldn't buy one for more than $4k in today's market considering what other games can be had for $8k (new pro versions stern games like Godzilla, Deadpool, Guardians, Stranger Things, etc). Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1