IGNORED

Strategy guide collector's corner

I quite like strategy guides. I've always felt that for the 3D games (where generally, the idea of collecting to obtain 100% seems to have been more prevalent) then such guides were extremely useful. With the earlier games, it was always fun just looking through the maps.

• Like 1

What's everyone's suggestion for best Legend of Zelda strategy guide? 

Looking for a physical one, with maps and neat information, to walk me through the game. I literally need to be walked through it because I don't have time/patience to look around for shit. 

I still think it would be fun to experience the game, and I like the music, so I want to be able to walk through it.

But I don't want to just read Game-FAQ, as I prefer maps and printed content from the 80's/90's.... 🤔

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I got this in a lot a few years ago and it is probably the best guide I've ever seen. All the dungeon maps and item locations for everything for Zelda 1, 2, Ocarina and Majora.

image.png.c0b0a810ff27c333fc481e6ca1f9a100.png

image.png.6511fa0e3892a823fa651287a97ed0d4.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Looking for a physical one, with maps and neat information, to walk me through the game. I literally need to be walked through it because I don't have time/patience to look around for shit. 

I still think it would be fun to experience the game, and I like the music, so I want to be able to walk through it.

But I don't want to just read Game-FAQ, as I prefer maps and printed content from the 80's/90's.... 🤔

For Link to the Past these make a good complementary pair:

download(39).jpeg.123e6e24e298b43ebd68d371a2cbbf3d.jpeg

91Sv2Kdsu5L._AC_UF10001000_QL80_.jpg.57ffb257367876baed67f4eb8fb643ef.jpg

The Prima guide is pretty exhaustive while the  Nintendo one is visually great with oodles of maps and illustrations.  The Nintendo one is somewhat pticey though.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DK said:

I got this in a lot a few years ago and it is probably the best guide I've ever seen. All the dungeon maps and item locations for everything for Zelda 1, 2, Ocarina and Majora.

image.png.c0b0a810ff27c333fc481e6ca1f9a100.png

image.png.6511fa0e3892a823fa651287a97ed0d4.png

Awesome, thanks!!

I am really just looking for Legend of Zelda, though. Is that one thorough enough if I've never played the game and don't know anything?

It seems to be numbered.... literally walking be through step by step? 🧐

Great, thanks @Tabonga ... right now I'm just looking for Legend of Zelda on NES, but maybe if I have a good experience with that one I'll take the next step to SNES

One time I played it on SNES with my fiance, but we had no idea what the fuck we were doing and just were lost. I found the sword I do believe. 🤣

Edited by AirVillain

7 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Yup!

Dungeons are numbered and it holds your hand through them.

The overworld map has everything listed, but for the secret items (heart containers, etc) it tells you where they are and how to get them, but not WHAT you get until you burn the bush/push the rock, etc. A little bit of mystery!

image.png.e2133ce46d27bdf371398bac65656301.png

image.png.ac05b852763361b6cee44c4c84a43f77.png

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Awesome, thanks!!

I am really just looking for Legend of Zelda, though. Is that one thorough enough if I've never played the game and don't know anything?

Great, thanks @Tabonga ... right now I'm just looking for Legend of Zelda on NES, but maybe if I have a good experience with that one I'll take the next step to SNES

One time I played it on SNES with my fiance, but we had no idea what the fuck we were doing and just were lost. I found the sword I do believe. 🤣

I highly reccommend Link to the Past - it is a much different (and better) game than the   NES ones - the guides help immensely.  I wish Nintendo would get off its butt and redo it for the switch.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

If you don’t want to spend money. This is the best site for zelda guides

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/the-legend-of-zelda-walkthrough/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, DK said:

Yup!

The overworld map has everything listed, but for the secret items (heart containers, etc) it tells you where they are and how to get them, but not WHAT you get until you burn the bush/push the rock, etc. A little bit of mystery!

Awesome!!! Thanks for the heads up! This is literally what I'm looking for. Something that will hold my hand through it, haha. 

A touch of mystery is great too! I'll keep my eye out for this. 😎👍

18 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I highly reccommend Link to the Past - it is a much different (and better) game than the   NES ones - the guides help immensely.  I wish Nintendo would get off its butt and redo it for the switch.

Right. And thanks for that. The thing is... I'm not really a fan of these types of games, but I do understand from playing it briefly and its history that it's likely a "good" game so I want to give it a good shot. 

This is where the guide comes in. I don't have time/patience to figure out a game like this on my own, and I don't like looking at my phone/computer at the walkthroughs. 

If possible, I'd like to use a "legit" guide from "back in the day" to help me through the game. The one mentioned above with step by step instructions and maps is perfect for what I need. 

Then, if I like it, I will move on to Link to The Past because again, I understand that it's a "good game" (likely groundbreaking/historic) for the genre but it's not really my style. 

I'll report back if/when I "need" a guide for Link to The Past. I see this (Legend of Zelda) as a winter weekend adventure for myself, so we'll see if it happens this winter or not. 🤣

15 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

If you don’t want to spend money. This is the best site for zelda guides

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/the-legend-of-zelda-walkthrough/

Great, thanks for the heads up!

I'm actually more interested in a physical guide, as described above, but thanks!

On 7/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, Tabonga said:

@AirVillain  What I like to do with a game like LTTP is to explore each area on my own and then go to a guide to find out the many things I missed.  What I liked best about LTTP was the rich overworld with lots of nooks and crannies to explore and find secrets in.

Yeah.... I can definitely appreciate how someone could enjoy that.

Not myself. I'm a run & gun/platformer/shooter type of guy. This is why I need a step by step guide. 

But thanks! 🤗

33 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Yeah.... I can definitely appreciate how someone could enjoy that.

Not myself. I'm a run & gun/platformer/shooter type of guy. This is why I need a step by step guide. 

But thanks! 🤗

You are welcome - we don't all need the same things in games.  While SRPGs are my favorite genre I also really enjoy games with a lot of exploration and secrets to find.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, DK said:

Yup!

Fair warning, there are some mistakes and omissions in this guide having to do with things like what walls are bombable.  This is going from memory and it's possible later revisions fixed it.

• Wow! 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:32 AM, AirVillain said:

Then, if I like it, I will move on to Link to The Past because again, I understand that it's a "good game" (likely groundbreaking/historic) for the genre but it's not really my style. 

I'll report back if/when I "need" a guide for Link to The Past. I see this (Legend of Zelda) as a winter weekend adventure for myself, so we'll see if it happens this winter or not. 🤣

If you do like the first game, the third game is everything good about it, expanded with 1000 enhancements, improvements, and new things. 

Zelda 3 is like Mario 3. 

I do believe having the basis of the first game enhances one's enjoyment of the third, don't take this as trying to change your mind. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tabonga said:

Golden Axe Warrior (SMS) is most excellent intermediary between those two games.

I've heard mixed reviews, but have always been interested in that one since I heard about it, well after its contemporary period.

On 7/25/2023 at 5:54 PM, Link said:

If you do like the first game, the third game is everything good about it, expanded with 1000 enhancements, improvements, and new things. 

Zelda 3 is like Mario 3. 

I do believe having the basis of the first game enhances one's enjoyment of the third, don't take this as trying to change your mind. 

Excellent comparison. One that I can fully understand, thank you. 

This is kinda what I'm trying to "achieve"/experience.   🤣

I like experiencing art in chronological order. Movies, music, video games.... I want to experience the first one FIRST. Why the fuck would I want to watch Karate Kid 2 before watching the FIRST one???

So Zelda is no different, but the problem is I'm not really into this style of game, especially the RPG shit and looking around/talking to people.

I like the IDEA/execution of the game more than I actually like playing it, because of my sheer impatience and stupidity. Like I said, I TRIED to play LTTP before but got stuck. It was GREAT up until then, and just listening to the music was neat. But I was just kinda screwing around not paying attention to anything.

I would literally have to draw my own map if I were to try to actually play the game. And make notes, etc. Unfortunately, I just don't have time/patience for that anymore. 🫠 

So yeah... I'm hoping that a good (old school physical) guide will alleviate any actual stress of looking for things/figuring out what to do so I can just experience the entire game.

Then, as you said, I'll have the basis to move on to LTTP. 😎👍

5 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I'm hoping that a good (old school physical) guide will alleviate any actual stress of looking for things/figuring out what to do so I can just experience the entire game.

I think the game was kind of early for strategy guides. The only contemporary, printed, graphical guides I know of are the map that came with it, and Tips & Tricks; both were intentionally incomplete. There's a hefty looking Japanese guide, which is quite expensive.

17 hours ago, Link said:

I think the game was kind of early for strategy guides. The only contemporary, printed, graphical guides I know of are the map that came with it, and Tips & Tricks; both were intentionally incomplete. There's a hefty looking Japanese guide, which is quite expensive.

11 hours ago, Link said:

I just remembered something@AirVillain, I must correct myself. What you want does exist, in the NES Game AtlasFull overworld map, all the dungeon maps, and every item and secret is marked. 

Thanks for all the information, but yeah... that Atlas looks pretty radical!

Hopefully I can get my hands on the Atlas... 🧐

It's funny because at the time I would consider it cheating, but I need the guides so badly just to understand WTF is going on, haha. Plus like I said in other places, sometimes it's just fun to EXPERIENCE the game... which is what I'm going for here. 🤗

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Compress_20230814_131359_9107.jpg.4fcbce92a4fdbccfd8dd55288c4b4eba.jpg

I went with a retail magazine display stand for my guides, it doesnt hold all of them, maybe half, but it looks nice and hides the TV wires while being on casters so I can just move it real quick to access. Guides aren't something I actively collect, but whenever I come across a good one for a reasonable price, I snag it. All of these(save conker, Luigi mansion, mario party 5, and star fox, which I got from a VGS member) are wild finds over the past few years. Some, like Twilight princess, I've had since launch. Some, like MK 2 and FF3, I've had in storage forever. They do display nicely!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I love guides, especially those bundled with magazines. This was a common thing with Japanese magazines, and Hong Kong copied the trend. They age like shit due to humidity and tend to get thrown away anyway, so they are not common.

This one's a pencil size mini guide with character bios, moves and general tips for Street Fighter II Game Boy version. Published by Mani with the rights from the original Japanese publisher.

20240406_183904.jpg.3c48f6edd2628e0ad6950606de3949fc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2