• Shrimp
    • Cockroach
  2. 2. Which do you prefer eating?

• Shrimp
    • Cockroach
  3. 3. Which do you prefer as creatures?

• Shrimp
    • Cockroach
  4. 4. Which genre of tv games do you prefer?

• Shrimp
    • Cockroach
  5. 5. Which is the more successful creature overall?

• Shrimp
    • Cockroach

I watched a cockroach scurry across the tile floor of my apartment last year, before taking to the wall. Antennae twitching, then it would scurry across the wall a bit before stopping. Finally the hapless creature caught the attention of Richard Miao who knocked it off the wall, before batting it around a bit. Next thing I knew, "chomp", off with its body and the head was left for me to clean up. I guess the second option would have been to send in the ants...

Anyways, shrimp are basically cockroaches of the sea. I noticed the family resemblance whilst observing my hapless guest, before he died. 

So let's vote and determine which are preferred, shrimp or cockroaches!

15 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Unless you get some sort of lizard or predatory insect/spider voting in this thread, I'm pretty sure that this should be a sweep of answer #1 to all questions except the last one, which should be #2 simply due to how hardcore roaches are at breeding and surviving.

Cockroaches are social creatures though...

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I've personally no problem with roaches, harmless little buggers and extremely misunderstood. Extremely successful too.

They can short out electronics (such as, let's say, video game consoles) if they get inside where they can gum up things.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Agree 1

You saw a cockroach in your own home😬  I'd be moving out posthaste if that ever happened to me.  I've never seen one in real life though, so just the thought of seeing a cockroach scares the shit out of me.  Remember, the one you see represents the x number that you don't.  And to have them in your actual living space?  Damn...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Pretty sure Cockroaches are dirty creatures.  At best they are like rats, I would think.  If a rat lives in a clean, wild natural habitat you can eat it just fine.  But if it lives in the sewer and or urine soaked alleyways it is filthy.  The first time I saw a Cockroach I was surprised how fast it ran up a brick wall, seemingly out of nowhere -and the sound was creepy as fuck.  I don't really get how people can sleep in places where they are rampant.  I hit it with a shoe and it fell back into the crack that it came out of.  I was then told that when you kill it like that, it immediately lays its eggs...  so then there will be even more....

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You saw a cockroach in your own home😬  I'd be moving out posthaste if that ever happened to me.  I've never seen one in real life though, so just the thought of seeing a cockroach scares the shit out of me.  Remember, the one you see represents the x number that you don't.  And to have them in your actual living space?  Damn...

They're not that terrifying.  Our townhouse is permanently connected to our neighbors on either side, so once, long long ago, we had roaches after a particularly nasty neighbor let/brought them into their house.  I took quick action, putting out my own roach bait and traps where they'd been sighted.  I then took the additional action of ceasing to kill or put outside any spiders I saw in the house, instead catching them and specifically re-deploying them in the areas where I'd seen roaches.  Within a week, our house was roach free.  When the building supe got ahold of us a few weeks later to tell us the HOA was paying for an exterminator, alert us to the roach problem, and ask if we'd seen any, I could happily tell her that we had, but not for a while after.

They are "icky," but until they hit some sort of crazy critical mass, they are extremely shy and fearful of people, and will run and hide at the first sign of a person.  So long as you start taking action at the first sight of them within your space, unless someone else is literally just dumping bins full of them in there behind your back, you should be able to get and stay ahead of them, to the point where you take them out fairly quickly.  FYI, the best stuff to use is this poison bait that comes in a tube and looks like peanut butter; everything else can help, but even the exterminator admitted that the tube stuff is the best simply due to how much the roaches like it.

4 hours ago, PII said:

I was then told that when you kill it like that, it immediately lays its eggs...  so then there will be even more....

That's actually a myth.  It can depend on the species, but as far as German roaches are concerned, the females will run around with an egg pod attached to them virtually to the point where they're ready to hatch.  If you're seeing roaches and see one with a much longer protrusion at the rear, that's most likely a female who's carrying a brood, which has already been laid inside of the egg case.  Should you kill the female, you should make sure to crush the egg case as well to prevent them from hatching and contributing to the repopulation of that roach colony.

4 hours ago, Ankos said:

There is another roach of the seas...one far greater...ever heard of the Giant Isopod?

giant-isopod-new-species_1600 - Futurity

Those aren't actually roaches, though, they're giant pill bugs/roly poly's/etc.  No less terrifying when you see one for the first time, but still a bit more comforting than thinking that there are giant cockroaches running amok across the bottoms of all the oceans in the world.  They're actually crustaceans and are (distant) relatives of things like lobsters, crabs, shrimp, etc.

marine life swimming GIF by pikaole

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Those aren't actually roaches, though, they're giant pill bugs/roly poly's/etc.  No less terrifying when you see one for the first time, but still a bit more comforting than thinking that there are giant cockroaches running amok across the bottoms of all the oceans in the world.  They're actually crustaceans and are (distant) relatives of things like lobsters, crabs, shrimp, etc.

I was more of just trying play off the "shrimp are basically cockroaches of the sea" line from earlier in the thread, since giant isopods resemble roaches more than shrimp do (at least to me)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

They're not that terrifying.  Our townhouse is permanently connected to our neighbors on either side, so once, long long ago, we had roaches after a particularly nasty neighbor let/brought them into their house.  I took quick action, putting out my own roach bait and traps where they'd been sighted.  I then took the additional action of ceasing to kill or put outside any spiders I saw in the house, instead catching them and specifically re-deploying them in the areas where I'd seen roaches.  Within a week, our house was roach free.  When the building supe got ahold of us a few weeks later to tell us the HOA was paying for an exterminator, alert us to the roach problem, and ask if we'd seen any, I could happily tell her that we had, but not for a while after.

They are "icky," but until they hit some sort of crazy critical mass, they are extremely shy and fearful of people, and will run and hide at the first sign of a person.  So long as you start taking action at the first sight of them within your space, unless someone else is literally just dumping bins full of them in there behind your back, you should be able to get and stay ahead of them, to the point where you take them out fairly quickly.  FYI, the best stuff to use is this poison bait that comes in a tube and looks like peanut butter; everything else can help, but even the exterminator admitted that the tube stuff is the best simply due to how much the roaches like it.

That's actually a myth.  It can depend on the species, but as far as German roaches are concerned, the females will run around with an egg pod attached to them virtually to the point where they're ready to hatch.  If you're seeing roaches and see one with a much longer protrusion at the rear, that's most likely a female who's carrying a brood, which has already been laid inside of the egg case.  Should you kill the female, you should make sure to crush the egg case as well to prevent them from hatching and contributing to the repopulation of that roach colony.

Nope, not helping.  Still creepy and gross.  

• Agree 1