IGNORED

Why am I not seeing all eBay sales?

I was trying to price a game with a seller tonight and they were able to see sold listings I was not. Between us we couldn't figure out why it was showing for them and not for me, we had the same search terms and filters. Why do these screenshots differ?

Screenshot_2022-10-06-20-04-10-52.jpg

received_2287075874782695.jpeg

Edited by Code Monkey

eBay has hidden rules to "customise" what you see and who can see you. Thousands of buyers and sellers complain about this, me including. Try the same search while logged in, logged out, on your coworker's pc, on your phone, at night, during the day, from a public network, at the airport, in a different country, etc. Results will change and there are items you never see...

eBay is not what it used to be, it's not a 2nd hand marketplace anymore. Got tired of it years ago, but it's still the best place to sell an item quickly...

• Like 2

The site is broken, has been for some months at least I've seen this year.  It happens on the web or their own app and it sucks.

If you do just a blind search (at most limiting to region) you'll get all you want.  But if you so much as try and take it off their scummy best match and sort for anything else (price, time, etc) suddenly stuff randomly just gets dropped though your filter should never remove it (and last year wouldn't have.)  It's really aggravating when I'm out looking at goodies and see a deal to try a search and leaving it stock I'll get like 150 or something choices, and if I dare sort by lowest price first then I lose a bunch.

Come to think of it, I doubt it's broken but intentional.  They want to nail people with more fees using their power seller angle which forces certain requirements which then pop you into their best match.  I bet it's that.

23 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

eBay has hidden rules to "customise" what you see and who can see you. Thousands of buyers and sellers complain about this, me including. Try the same search while logged in, logged out, on your coworker's pc, on your phone, at night, during the day, from a public network, at the airport, in a different country, etc. Results will change and there are items you never see...

eBay is not what it used to be, it's not a 2nd hand marketplace anymore. Got tired of it years ago, but it's still the best place to sell an item quickly...

That's incredibly weird, why wouldn't they just show all games to everyone? What's the point?

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2022 at 10:19 PM, Tanooki said:

If you do just a blind search (at most limiting to region) you'll get all you want.  But if you so much as try and take it off their scummy best match and sort for anything else (price, time, etc) suddenly stuff randomly just gets dropped though your filter should never remove it (and last year wouldn't have.)

This has been bugging the shit out of me.  I'll do a search and get let's say 200 results.  Then I'll sort by "Price plus shipping, lowest first" and suddenly there are only 150 results listed.  Like where did the other 25% of the results suddenly go?!?  The whole point of a sort is to save time, but when I know stuff is going to disappear, I have to ignore it and manually scan for the lowest prices myself, rendering the sorting options utterly moot!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

That's incredibly weird, why wouldn't they just show all games to everyone? What's the point?

You can only see the items that ship to your location.  A lot of US sellers only ship to USA so a those results won't appear on ebay.ca.  It would be a lot worse if you constantly were browsing stuff you couldn't buy anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

This has been bugging the shit out of me.  I'll do a search and get let's say 200 results.  Then I'll sort by "Price plus shipping, lowest first" and suddenly there are only 150 results listed.  Like where did the other 25% of the results suddenly go?!?  The whole point of a sort is to save time, but when I know stuff is going to disappear, I have to ignore it and manually scan for the lowest prices myself, rendering the sorting options utterly moot!

Exactly, it's why I wrote it all tin foil hat style with my post.  It's very obvious they're doing it on purpose to find another conniving sleazy way to get money out of sellers as they're likely dropping the best match avoiders who won't let them have extra abusive standards (2 week returns no questions at sellers cost, etc) in place.  I had a bit of trouble my last year at it towards the end because I refused to be their victim and seeing what my stuff didn't sell for for weeks to months vs what others got paid it had to add up.

7 hours ago, jonebone said:

You can only see the items that ship to your location.  A lot of US sellers only ship to USA so a those results won't appear on ebay.ca.  It would be a lot worse if you constantly were browsing stuff you couldn't buy anyway.

Why wouldn't someone ship to Canada? And how do I change it to show everything?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Why wouldn't someone ship to Canada?

Some people don't want the extra hassle of customs forms and whatnot.  eBay has attempted to alleviate this with their global shipping program, which has helped a lot, as many US sellers now just ship their items to eBay's depot in Erlanger, Kentucky, and then eBay ships them across the border to me.

23 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

And how do I change it to show everything?

If you want to see what Americans are selling, use eBay.com; if you want to see what Canadians are selling, use eBay.ca, etc...

Just ebay being ebay. They said they wanted to customize searcher for buyers a few years ago when they started charging sellers more to pay for promoted listings that would get more guaranteed traffic. Sometimes I can't even find my own listings with their search results and even try using multiple accounts with different settings lol

Sales that recently ended or are older than 90 days are hidden. What region you are in effects what you see as well.

Like many websites now, I'm pretty sure ebay uses an algorithm based system as well. If you are a power seller, your items get seen by more people. If you pay extra to "promote" your listings, they get seen by more people. For searches, ebay choices what it thinks you want to see and doesn't always show you every result. You have to scroll past the recommended searches and dig a little deeper. At least that's from my experience.

On 10/8/2022 at 11:13 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

Some people don't want the extra hassle of customs forms and whatnot.  eBay has attempted to alleviate this with their global shipping program, which has helped a lot, as many US sellers now just ship their items to eBay's depot in Erlanger, Kentucky, and then eBay ships them across the border to me.

If you want to see what Americans are selling, use eBay.com; if you want to see what Canadians are selling, use eBay.ca, etc...

The .ca and .com websites show different listings? That's incredibly bizarre so I need to check every site around the world to see all the listings?

Another part of the problem is how users search All Categories will get results in a forced-selected category. Ebay will decided that you meant to filter results in a certain category to cut the chuffa from other categories. This may be normy-friendly, but not power users who don't notice ebay did that at first. A lot of items can be missed since there are a lot of similar categories. Collectibles, Toys, and Electronics, in particular have a lot of overlap. Of course you can pay extra to list in multiple categories.

The quote searches have definitely become perverse. Even that is a suggested synonym for ebay (which I believe uses Google's engine). I do notice that the search takes into account details listed in the section above the description, such as model, theme, connectivity, etc., depending on the type of item listed.

Even Google has become a beast to fight. In recent searches it treated my -blah like +blah. Maybe the problem with ebay's search lies in Google's corrupted search. I read they are forcing search results now for particular matters.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:05 AM, FINDA said:

Pricecharting.com keeps more historical real sales but ebay will not keep that data for more than like 3-12 months. 

There are price tracking sites other than PC, GVN, and ebay's built-in tracking. It requires upkeep to have data across all territories, let alone the US. The built-in tracking also drops a lot of data from searches, included items forcibly ended by sellers. I think it's nice that GVN attempts to capture pictures of listings, but it doesn't do it for every data point.

ebay has been doing this for many years. It's based on all kinds of factors, such as your location, your distance to the seller, the seller's ranking (not rating, but whether or not they're above performance standards etc.), whether or not they've been listing items recently, all kinds of random things. It's not dissimilar to what Google does with search results, for example.

It just is what it is. ebay is the biggest game in town, probably the only one except for Mercari, which doesn't have nearly as many eyeballs on it. I tend to rely on Mercari more these days to sell used items, fees are slightly lower, and buyers have a very narrow window (72 hours) to try and scam you return the item.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yZoneFox said:

Another part of the problem is how users search All Categories will get results in a forced-selected category. Ebay will decided that you meant to filter results in a certain category to cut the chuffa from other categories. This may be normy-friendly, but not power users who don't notice ebay did that at first. A lot of items can be missed since there are a lot of similar categories. Collectibles, Toys, and Electronics, in particular have a lot of overlap. Of course you can pay extra to list in multiple categories.

The quote searches have definitely become perverse. Even that is a suggested synonym for ebay (which I believe uses Google's engine). I do notice that the search takes into account details listed in the section above the description, such as model, theme, connectivity, etc., depending on the type of item listed.

Even Google has become a beast to fight. In recent searches it treated my -blah like +blah. Maybe the problem with ebay's search lies in Google's corrupted search. I read they are forcing search results now for particular matters.

There are price tracking sites other than PC, GVN, and ebay's built-in tracking. It requires upkeep to have data across all territories, let alone the US. The built-in tracking also drops a lot of data from searches, included items forcibly ended by sellers. I think it's nice that GVN attempts to capture pictures of listings, but it doesn't do it for every data point.

GVN has been a shell of its former self for quite a while. They are the same bozos that bought and destroyed Nintendoage after all. 

I think eBay has been doing this shit since around 2018 where they limit results based on your location inferred from your IP address. I have friends in India where the search results are severely constrained until they connect to a VPN based in US and suddenly boom all the results appear.

You can also try clicking on the search filters and setting the "item location" filter to "worldwide" but it doesn't always work.