IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Hokuto no Ken (Famicom)!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Sadly, 3 and 4 were RPGs (not sure of the Super Famicom ones, but likely them too)...and neither of them have an English translation available publicly 😞 There's a Spanish translation of 3 though, but that don't help us English-only folks 😞

Gotta learn to navigate an RPG w/o knowing the lingo..

9 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Okay, I know I set the bar high, but I wasn't expecting to be the only score at this point...brings back memories of the time we played The Punisher 😛

Today I tried it for the first time. I wondered why the first level wouldn't end and why I couldn't enter doors no matter what buttons I pressed. I finally had to look at a guide.

On 9/16/2022 at 3:06 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

Okay, I know I set the bar high, but I wasn't expecting to be the only score at this point...brings back memories of the time we played The Punisher 😛

How many people played that? Back when I first started playing during the 2012 season, it seems like we only got around 5 scores a week. In 2015, it seemed like we had 30-40+ scores for every contest. 

19 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

In 2015, it seemed like we had 30-40+ scores for every contest. 

Ah, the golden years; I wish it was still like that.

As for this week's game, I've only beaten it once, and it's a score I'm not proud of, so I'm going to have to put in some serious practice on Sunday morning until I get a good run...

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Ah, the golden years; I wish it was still like that.

As for this week's game, I've only beaten it once, and it's a score I'm not proud of, so I'm going to have to put in some serious practice on Sunday morning until I get a good run...

Those weeks when we had 40+ scores had to be a nightmare for the scorekeepers back then. We still had a solid dozen scores or so until this year. It seems like a lot of the regulars dropped off completely without any new players taking their places. Maybe we are all just getting too old. 

On 9/16/2022 at 1:06 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

I dunno, man.  I think you made a mistake going out of your way to get those dippers on a low score competition.  I took the most direct path through the game and only killed guys I had to (to prevent energy loss) and I blew your score away.  Granted it took many attempts, but I'm sure that if a guy really practiced this game for weeks and weeks on end, you could probably get it down to like 20 kills total since every single enemy in the game spawns in a predetermined spot.  Anyway, ball's in your court now... 😛

Im pretty sure I am playing the wrong game. Are there 2 games with no ken in the title?

Edit: I have been playing the wrong game. And this looks way better than the hot garbage I got. I like fist of the north star. This looks cool. Really screwed myself on this. 

Edited by NESfiend

32 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Im pretty sure I am playing the wrong game. Are there 2 games with no ken in the title?

Edit: I have been playing the wrong game. And this looks way better than the hot garbage I got. I like fist of the north star. This looks cool. Really screwed myself on this. 

There are four Hokuto No Ken games on the Famicom; we are playing the first one, released in 1986.  There is also some confusion with the NES release, as it's called Fist of the North Star with no number after it, but it is actually a port of the second game from the Famicom: Hokuto No Ken 2.

EDIT - And there are also four games called Hiryuu No Ken, so maybe you were playing the first game in that series... ?

Edited by Dr. Morbis

10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

EDIT - And there are also four games called Hiryuu No Ken, so maybe you were playing the first game in that series... ?

THAT - and my god its horrible. This is much better, but I don't know where to go. The doors didnt become an issue this early into fist of the north star