IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rampart!

BeaIank

On 8/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, 8bitdontquit said:

We also played this in '19..   think skinny posted a score that week.  I recall everyone bitching about this game.   No bitching here.

Do you remember what the winning score was last time? I can't find the contest thread anywhere. My current score would only have been good enough for third in 2015. My goal was just to finally beat the game, but now I kinda want to see how high I can push my score.

ITTY BITTY SCOREBOARD

(needs) More Bo       -       75,376   [ spoken in Lunch Lady Doris voice]

P.leasingly I.ridescent I.nsect       -       67,167

Polecat-dug       -       59,879

EatNitDontShit       -       31,603

J.R. Turing       -       23,701

M.ilitary B.ooming D.evice       -       20,934

Determined Handcannon       -       (presumably holding his score, as has been his wont)

R.esolve H.esitant       -       (Thinkin'¬'bout it.)

Wiz       -       (Participation-Pre-Qualified-Rampart-Royalty-Lounging-On-Throne-While-Covered-In-Jewels-And-Chomping-Oversized-Haunch-Of-Wyvern)

Edited by PII
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, PII said:

ITTY BITTY SCOREBOARD

Polecat-dug       -       59,879

P.leasingly I.ridescent I.nsect       -       42,321

EatNitDontShit       -       31,603

J.R. Turing       -       23,701

M.ilitary B.ooming D.evice       -       20,934

(needs) More Bo       -       17,230   [ spoken in Lunch Lady Doris voice]

Determined Handcannon       -       (presumably holding his score, as has been his wont)

R.esolve H.esitant       -       (Thinkin' 'bout it.)

Wiz       -       (Participation-Pre-Qualified-Rampart-Royalty-Lounging-On-Throne-While-Covered-In-Jewels-And-Eating-Oversized-Haunch-Of-Wyvern)

Nice scoreboard.  You need to update my score, and you can probably change my name to "Better than Pie" while you're at it... 😉

On 8/11/2022 at 5:49 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

This has to be one of the hardest games to beat on "easy", at least that I can think of. I would have liked to have gotten a better score, but I was playing it as safe as possible to make sure I could clear the game. 

My strategy all week was to go "all out" which means it took me a whole lot longer to beat "easy" than you, but when I finally did, I had a massive score!   😛

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I was lucky to get 20k. There's too much anxiety in the rebuilding phase and not enough time.

I think the main problem with this game is that they didn't rebalance it for home consoles.  The game kicks your everloving ass to force a quick continue, which is fine in an arcade when they want you to spend more money, but it shouldn't have been that hardcore for the home versions.

I also think there are way too many piece shapes.  Imagine if Tetris had like ten different pieces - it would destroy the balance and strategy and put the emphasis on hoping for good RNG.  And that's what this game is for me: praying to the RNG God's for the right piece at the right time.  Pretty much every single game over I had was due to getting overly large pieces that wouldn't fit where I needed them to.  This game could have been an all time classic if they had just limited it to straight lines of varying lengths and 'L' blocks.  Then the emphasis would be on combat strategy: who to kill first and when/where in order to best protect your rampart.  But as it is, pretty much every game universally ends in frustration...

My son has Covid, which isn’t a big deal since the symptoms aren’t too bad, but it is a bit more work around here taking care of, and cleaning up a bit more after him.  I intended to try to get a participation score in tonight because I don’t see it being possible tomorrow. We’ll see. I just might not have the time or energy late this evening.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

My strategy all week was to go "all out" which means it took me a whole lot longer to beat "easy" than you, but when I finally did, I had a massive score!   😛

I doubt that I'll get back to it since I haven't played anymore since Wednesday. That's a great score that's going to be tough for anyone to beat.

62eecfe2-3bb8-43b9-97f4-6ad7c470b579_tex

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Nice scoreboard.  You need to update my score, and you can probably change my name to "Better than Pie" while you're at it... 😉

Thanx!  This one was very fun to come up with.🙂  And, the only thing you're definitely better at is stroking your own ego.  Also, perhaps at generally putting forth very mediocre performances for un-sage-like scores in order to garner a lot of cheap 2nd/3rd places when little to nobody is going all out. 😉 

Edited by PII

2 hours ago, PII said:

Thanx!  This one was very fun to come up with.🙂  And, the only thing you're definitely better at is stroking your own ego.  Also, perhaps at generally putting forth very mediocre performances for un-sage-like scores in order to garner a lot of cheap 2nd/3rd places when little to nobody is going all out. 😉 

Exactly one guy is going all out every single week this year, and we all know who he is... 😉

EDIT -And I actually spent a little time trying to beat this game on "Very Hard" for my personal list, and I've made it to the final level many times; it's actually not terribly difficult if you just play in survival mode instead of trying to maximize your points...

Edited by Dr. Morbis