IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rampart!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome contestants! I hope you enjoyed the break week.
We return with a challenge to y'all brains, with RAMPART

For this week, the rules are as follow:

• 1 player only (play as Blue Army)
  • Set difficulty to Easy
  • Start on Beginner Level (no bonus points)
  • After completing the Beginner Level, you may play the stages in any order you choose
  • Play until you ran out of continues.
  • Take your picture on the High Score screen
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Arcade

The contest ends Sunday, 08/14/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1

SCORE EDIT #1 - First time playing, and didn't realize we were allowed to use our continues, but whatevs: 17,230

SCORE EDIT #2 - Finally beat this game on easy.  This is the most difficult "easy" mode I've ever played in my entire life, but I'm done with it now: 75,376

Ram-3.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis

On 8/8/2022 at 3:42 AM, docile tapeworm said:

Ok you build walls on a timer and blast cannons at ships. I remember we played it 6 years ago? It is fun. 

I found the old contest thread, but it looks like you didn't post a score that week.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview0aac.html?catid=31&threadid=145837

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

We also played this in '19..   think skinny posted a score that week.  I recall everyone bitching about this game.   No bitching here.

Those old contest archives only go up to 2018. I think @guillavoie started a thread about keeping them going, but it didn't seem to go anywhere. I like Rampart outside of the fact that I haven't been able to beat it yet. It reminds me of the disaster scenarios from SimCity and that's one of my favorite games.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

15 hours ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Until they blow craters all around,. That sucks

The double sail ships that drop off the soldiers are even worse than the red ones that set your walls on fire. I try to build my walls as small as possible so I can just build around the damage instead of trying to match the pieces to patch the old wall.

12 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finally beat this godforsaken game. Hopefully I don't have to play it again this week.

Well..... you beat it on "easy," but since this game is so freaking hard, I'd say that's still an accomplishment. 🙂 

Also, I've never seen a game before that makes you die and continue to power up.  Seriously, is there a way to get the fast shots without dying?  I know in the arcade they would want to entice you to put in another quarter to "get more powerful" but why would they translate that to the home console where you're playing the game for free???  Beating this game even on easy without continuing seems like it would be impossible.  Maybe if you owned it and practiced for months...

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well..... you beat it on "easy," but since this game is so freaking hard, I'd say that's still an accomplishment. 🙂 

Also, I've never seen a game before that makes you die and continue to power up.  Seriously, is there a way to get the fast shots without dying?  I know in the arcade they would want to entice you to put in another quarter to "get more powerful" but why would they translate that to the home console where you're playing the game for free???  Beating this game even on easy without continuing seems like it would be impossible.  Maybe if you owned it and practiced for months...

This has to be one of the hardest games to beat on "easy", at least that I can think of. I would have liked to have gotten a better score, but I was playing it as safe as possible to make sure I could clear the game.