Best pokemon game on the switch  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Best pokemon game on the switch

• Pikachu / eevee
    • Sword / shield
    • Diamond / pearl
    • Wait for Scarlet / violet

Administrator · Posted
  1. Pikachu/Evee are remakes of Red/Blue.
  2. Diamond/Pearl are... remakes of Diamond/Pearl.
  3. Sword/Shield suuuuuucked. Sucked Hard.

I'd wait, unless you wanna play Red/Blue/Diamond/Pearl with a fresh coat of paint.

That said, I've read really good things about Arceuus. It might look like ass, but apparently it's really fun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Arceus, shame it's not on the list. 😕  The upcoming one is going to play with it's mechanics mixed with the traditional era/gym system back in play.

From that list Pikachu/Eevee is a remake of Pokemon YELLOW which is a personal favorite, I'd vote that if I had to, but it's a second choice.

I wish more Switch Pokemon games used something similar to the Rescue Team DX graphics. The art style feels more reminiscent of old Pokemon Cards. Anyways I'd say that Pokemon BDSP is the most conventional of the Switch stuff on your list, but it isn't very ambitious. Sword and Shield is really poorly priced when you take into account DLC. If you're dead set on the list you made, then I'd go with waiting, though it is definitely a gamble. Legends would be good, but since it isn't on your list, I'm going to assume you've played it

1 hour ago, Van Jackson said:

Part of me SO badly wants to get into new Pokemon, but I know for a fact I wouldn't dedicate the time required to fully enjoy it.

I got Sun/Moon when they were new, and put maybe 5 hours into it lol.

I'll say this much if that specific set of games got only 5 hours out for you, not one single standard entry of any pokemon game will make you feel any different.

Legends/Arceus would be the exception, maybe, depending if you enjoy having an open-ish style world where you can run by fast harvesting all sorts of plants, foods, random items, minerals and use them to create supplies...basically like monster hunter/minecraft lite mechanics.  If you love that stuff, it would go a long way to make you appreciate it more since the game isn't a loaded pain of re-run gyms and thin story stuff.  The story in this one works, and is engaging uniquely so (outside of sun/moon), and being able to just observe, only catch with or without bait, or normal battle JRPG style enemies is a nice option too.

Pikachu and Eevee were the only ones I could finished. I liked a lot of the mechanics. Playing in handheld mode made the catching a breeze too. I really hope they make a Let's Go sequel. Kinda weird they haven't already.

I started Pokemon Legends Arceus but just couldn't grind through it. The Pokedex thing just didn't capture me like it should've. I got really bored with it about 5-6 hours in. Maybe o pick it up to play before bed sometime.

I enjoyed Pokemon Shield a lot, and if you find yourself struggling to invest a lot of time into Pokemon these days, you may enjoy how brisk paced the game is. It's important to note that despite all of the game's criticism, it really does play differently to any other Pokemon game. The whole experience is streamlined to be a much quicker adventure, and if you're the type that has never given a crap about the story in Pokemon, you'll appreciate how little the game gives a crap too. 

The new Pokemon are all really fun and fantastic, the battle music is some of the best the series has seen in a long time, and gym battles are the spectacle you've always envisioned them in your head. 

Having played since Red/Blue and been frustrated with the series ever since Black/White, I thought Pokemon Shield was an amazing breath of fresh air. I know it has a lot of haters, but I'd honestly say it's my third favourite in the series behind original Silver and original Ruby.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I genuinely recommend the game to fans of the series who don't care about Pokemon's plot, and just want fun battles.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

I enjoyed Pokemon Shield a lot, and if you find yourself struggling to invest a lot of time into Pokemon these days, you may enjoy how brisk paced the game is. It's important to note that despite all of the game's criticism, it really does play differently to any other Pokemon game. The whole experience is streamlined to be a much quicker adventure, and if you're the type that has never given a crap about the story in Pokemon, you'll appreciate how little the game gives a crap too. 

The new Pokemon are all really fun and fantastic, the battle music is some of the best the series has seen in a long time, and gym battles are the spectacle you've always envisioned them in your head. 

Having played since Red/Blue and been frustrated with the series ever since Black/White, I thought Pokemon Shield was an amazing breath of fresh air. I know it has a lot of haters, but I'd honestly say it's my third favourite in the series behind original Silver and original Ruby.

Funny I never noticed that, it's why I got fed up and stopped.  I would completely put this down 100% on both Ultra Sun/Moon and also Legends and I too started when the game came out, hell I watched the cartoon before the game came out from just sheer dumb luck when I had breakfast and it aired.  S/S were pretty loathesome, boring, and obnoxious to me, a bunch of half baked or poorly implemented ideas and just wasn't done well, which was odd since the 3DS duo were, and Legends worked out those kinks further of S/S.  I've been fairly fed up with the series since post-Soul Silver, those 2 games turned it around.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Funny I never noticed that, it's why I got fed up and stopped.  I would completely put this down 100% on both Ultra Sun/Moon and also Legends and I too started when the game came out, hell I watched the cartoon before the game came out from just sheer dumb luck when I had breakfast and it aired.  S/S were pretty loathesome, boring, and obnoxious to me, a bunch of half baked or poorly implemented ideas and just wasn't done well, which was odd since the 3DS duo were, and Legends worked out those kinks further of S/S.  I've been fairly fed up with the series since post-Soul Silver, those 2 games turned it around.

Fair enough. The way you seem to feel about Sword and Shield is the same way I feel about the Alola games. To me those are completed wretched Pokemon games, and they go against almost everything I want out of the series. I didn't play Legends Arceus as I have no interest in gaming's open world obsession. I really dislike open world games, so to see the series go in that direction like everything else right now really frustrates me.

I've been of the opinion that Pokemon's formula has always been fine and doesn't really need to change, but the formula has just been done poorly ever since Black/White. Sword/Shield was the closest I've felt to recapturing what I like about Pokemon, so I had a great time with it.

It's sort of the problem with trying to tell someone which game they should buy, as everyone has totally different experiences with games. 😅

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 1:36 PM, Tanooki said:

I'll say this much if that specific set of games got only 5 hours out for you, not one single standard entry of any pokemon game will make you feel any different.

Legends/Arceus would be the exception, maybe, depending if you enjoy having an open-ish style world where you can run by fast harvesting all sorts of plants, foods, random items, minerals and use them to create supplies...basically like monster hunter/minecraft lite mechanics.  If you love that stuff, it would go a long way to make you appreciate it more since the game isn't a loaded pain of re-run gyms and thin story stuff.  The story in this one works, and is engaging uniquely so (outside of sun/moon), and being able to just observe, only catch with or without bait, or normal battle JRPG style enemies is a nice option too.

I honestly made the above post in hopes someone would tell me one way or the other what to expect, precisely as you just did!

I really do enjoy G/S/C the most, and I actually end up playing all the way through each time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

I honestly made the above post in hopes someone would tell me one way or the other what to expect, precisely as you just did!

I really do enjoy G/S/C the most, and I actually end up playing all the way through each time.

No problem, I'm in the same mind set with the franchise at this rate where I enjoy the cartoon and other stuff far more than the games because they're just too much of a re-run, so when something stands out I may never finish it, but I'm happy with my purchase and put time into it.  I'm largely over handhelds post-GBA but I do have my DS (and 3DS for now) and with the 10 games I have one is just that, Soul Silver, as it's just well, very well done in the old style.

• Like 1