IGNORED

"To my biggest fan"

Do you own anything game related thats been autographed? 

Where do you stand on getting carts signed? I remember someone getting pissed on NA because a youtuber signed a game for someone else. They had nothing to do with the game, but did a review on it. 

Also, does signing a game decrease its value? 

I have no interest in buying signed stuff. I just dont care enough to spend stupid money on it and I dont trust that its real unless it comes with a certificate.  There are a few exceptions like the Launch team xbox360 faceplate that I do want. I would never want any youtuber to sign a game, but hey if ppl want that go for it. If I knew I was going to meet some big time game developers I would enjoy having them sign a game they worked on but that has never happened

• Agree 1

I passed on a cheap rare-ish game signed by some YouTuber (Big Rigs on PC). Totally ruined it IMO.

I like signatures by real big names though, a director or particularly good composer. Miyamoto, Nobuo Uematsu, and Hideo Kojima can sign anything I have. I don't need the Charles Martinets of the world scribbling on all my nice Marios though. I don't even like extra lesser signatures on my stuff if there's only one I really care about like those boxes covered with 100 signatures from QA testers and office staff, etc. 

Moderator · Posted

When I got my copy of Cowlitz Gamers 2nd Adventure, I got John Hancock and Chelsea Beck to sign it. Both instrumental in those conventions when they existed and obviously a big part of making the game happen. If you've heard my story about getting the game at PRGE after a case of mistaken identity, then you know it's a fun ending to a fun story.

Only signed thing I have is a sealed shovel knight 3DS game signed by a bunch of the staff that worked on the game. I just emailed them saying I was a big fan and asked if I could ship it to them to sign and they were really cool about it. 

I'd feel in any sense of it from a value perspective, monetarily, having it signed lowers the value, more so as you go up in state of condition, completeness, to sealed.  It's effectively defacing it, whether it's some joe blow who ran a show to Miyamoto inking your SMB1 cart sticker or DK cabinet.  Sure they had a minor to massive hand in it, but, it's still defacing it.

From a personal level though, hell yeah it adds value, depending how you feel about the person.  What Nintendo fan wouldn't want a Miyamoto signed game where he was the brains  behind the creation and made it come to life?  Perhaps you're a fan of character, then you'd want Martinet signing something Mario, maybe the talking beanie on its body or tag?  Maybe you're a music geek, have Koji Kondo sign your Legend of Zelda symphony CD or something since he composed it.  That would be quite badass, value to the roof as a fan.

• Agree 1

I thought about sending something to John Romero to sign… then I just thought, why?

signatures are a weird thing. They can be very cool in one sense, but also very stupid. It’s almost like proving “I’m holding a item that they also held”.

I have a couple music related items that are signed, some by deceased musicians and those do give me great joy to have now. 

It’s a bit relative.  In general I would only be interested in signatures of very noticeable people. Miyamoto, Uematsu, and Amano come to mind.

I would say that a signed Martinet game would be nice too, but I wouldn’t want to pay a premium for it.  For me it’d have to be a modest bump in price or something I could get at a meet and greet.

Then there’s the occasional game that pops up that’s signed by the whole dev team because after release, the dev teams pass copies around for everyone to sign like a year book.

If I found one of those for the right game at the right price, I’d appreciate it but in general it’s not my thing.

Related, I did pick up a copy of THPS for the PS1.  Inside was a card for a Hilton hotel and on the back was Tony Hawk’s signature.  My guess is that the owner of the THPS game bumped into Tony at the hotel one time, had him sign what he found lying around and when he got home, he put it in the only “Tony Hawk” related item he had. I appreciate that.  And to be honest, THPS is a cheap game so I wouldn’t mind if a game like that was signed on the cover or manual by the namesake sports star of the game.  I mean, who wouldn’t want a signed copy of Jerry Rice and Nitus’ Dog Football signed by Nitus and maybe Jerry Rice?!

• 1 year later...