IGNORED

Beast Mode

DarkTone

Anyone here a fan of Monster Compendiums, or beastiaries? Earliest I remember (I think) was from devil may cry. Thought it was cool to see every enemy the game throws at you. Currently playing god of war and the one in that is decent. 

Do you have a favourite?

I've always loved monster/alien bestiaries, not just strictly in video game form but in print as well. I actually still have a copy of Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials, which is a collection of details and illustrations of dozens of alien creatures across various science fiction stories. I've also played my share of D&D and other table top RPGs and always loved collecting and browsing the various Monster Manuals, etc.

But I also love when a video game gives the player an encyclopedia of enemies to browse. Even just how old NES games like the Zelda and Metroid series used to give you a list of monsters with brief descriptions. In more recent memory, I remember really digging both Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal for all the extra stuff they would pack in the encyclopedia, including the ability to look at full, rotate-and-zoomable renders of the enemies. Great stuff.

• Like 1

Love that shit, whether it's in a menu, credits or in print. I loved animal info books as a kid and I saw some horror monster compilation books in a local library; collections of characters / monsters with pictures, lore, stats or whatever is just the bomb. My favorite gaming related bestiary has to be this one:

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_25th_Anniversary_Encyclopedia_Of_Monsters

Edited by sp1nz
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 11:22 PM, Webhead123 said:

I've always loved monster/alien bestiaries, not just strictly in video game form but in print as well. I actually still have a copy of Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials, which is a collection of details and illustrations of dozens of alien creatures across various science fiction stories. 

There was a companion book to that one:

https://www.amazon.com/Barlowes-Guide-Fantasy-Douglas-Barlowe/dp/0061052388

Here is another one I have that I really like:

https://www.amazon.com/Wanted-Criminals-Intergalactic-Security-Full-Color/dp/055301224X

This is a really neat one - it has gotten terribly pricey but it was published under a different title which is a lot lot cheaper (which is in this video):

Edited by Tabonga

• 2 weeks later...

There aren't too many games I play that have them, but most recently I enjoyed how Kirby and the Rainbow Curse did it.

The collectables in the main stages are actually worth collecting, since they give you unique remixes of old Kirby songs you can listen to, and figurines of characters from the game. The figurines of enemies tend to have really silly descriptions. 😆

647484824_RainbowCurseMonsters.png.e9e289e9648e9c0ecc079127d78b492f.png

Edited by Lynda Monica

• 2 weeks later...