IGNORED

Wata case effectively protective?

Hi all. Recently I got my Pokémon games graded, and wanted to ask your opinion on how reliable/effective the cases are. According to their website, their case is UV protective, so I assume by that that we should not worry about sun fading or anything like that right? 
I got my games at the living room, there is light but the sun NEVER hits them directly ( there is never direct light to my apartment as it is north-west oriented.

Should I be worried or can display them there without worrying? 

Also, my Pokémon red had a price tag on top and they removed it, just noticed there is now some kind of glue residue that I don’t think it was there when I received the games. Should I worry about humidity/condensation or anything even when they are inside the capsule? 
just trying to figure out the best way to preserve them 🙂

967A7CA7-CDB4-41C0-B480-A612FDD7C51E.jpeg

C1F67EF7-362E-4886-9290-D126659F0310.jpeg

• Like 1

I think those are questions to be asked before, not after, but it's funny so many people come around here asking the same questions after they've dropped money on this thing. Amazing glue residue, you have no choice but to see it as modern art, now that the poor thing's forever entombed.

Regarding humidity, if those tombs are really 100% sealed, the only humidity problem is the humidity that's already inside the case before sealing. Haven't seen people discuss that problem, which is obvioulsy a problem for all graded games in the medium and long term. That's why all sealed games have ventholes or corners that let air in, I guess. You don't want any water trapped in a sealed environment, because it can't go away yes??

Edited by Tyree_Cooper
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

I think those are questions to be asked before, not after, but it's funny so many people come around here asking the same questions after they've dropped money on this thing. Amazing glue residue, you have no choice but to see it as modern art, now that the poor thing's forever entombed.

Regarding humidity, if those tombs are really 100% sealed, the only humidity problem is the humidity that's already inside the case before sealing. Haven't seen people discuss that problem, which is obvioulsy a problem for all graded games in the medium and long term. That's why all sealed games have ventholes or corners that let air in, I guess. You don't want any water trapped in a sealed environment, because it can't go away yes??

I dont understand this kind of attitude when I am just asking a question, but thank you for your comment I guess

• Like 1

UV cases help, not prevent fade. If you go outside with an umbrella that blocks 80% of the rain, you’re still going to get wet.

Here’s an old thread I often bring up with a basic test of “99% UV blocking film” and easily UV-fade-able construction paper

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uv-window-protection

• Thanks 1

Yeah, no way WATA's cheap-ass cases are gonna do shit for UV protection in a well-lit area like that! You may not have direct sunlight on the cases at any time, but right near a massive window like that with zero blinds or curtains or anything, ENOUGH sunlight is gonna bounce around that room, those suckers are gonna fade FAST!

If I were you I would move those to a room where you can keep the curtains drawn and the natural light out. My own game room is permanent blackout, just use the light in there when I wanna game, the sun has NO business to attend in my game room!

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted

@Franmotard don't be too discouraged by the negative feedback - if you're happy with your collection and grading-decisions, that's all that really matters.

I don't know anything about these cases, but they must be helping at least a little bit as far as UV protection goes. There's no way to provide absolute protection if you actually want your games on display, so you can rest easy knowing you've at least done something to preserve them.

-CasualCart

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, CasualCart said:

you can rest easy knowing you've at least done something to preserve them.

I wouldn't feel assured leaving those games in a well lit area like that, with no curtains or blinds on the windows or nothing.

If he's happy to let those game boxes gradually fade over the course of years, then that's up to him.

But, he seems pretty concerned in the OP about fading. I'm telling you now, those games WILL fade on that shelf with that light source, it's a fact.

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, OptOut said:

I wouldn't feel assured leaving those games in a well lit area like that, with no curtains or blinds on the windows or nothing.

If he's happy to let those game boxes gradually fade over the course of years, then that's up to him.

But, he seems pretty concerned in the OP about fading. I'm telling you now, those games WILL fade on that shelf with that light source, it's a fact.

Yeah - there's definitely no disputing that. I guess my phrasing was bad - I should've said "prolonging the inevitable" rather than "preserving".

I guess my issue here is that it strikes me as self-defeating to have a game graded (supposedly as a testament to its great condition) only to store that game away forever, such that the condition (which is its only practical asset once entombed) can't even be enjoyed on display. It's almost like spending a ton of money on a cool t-shirt or something, then never wearing it because "it'll get worn out eventually". Enjoy what you have while you have it, and be comfortable knowing that nothing lasts forever.

But maybe I'm just projecting irrelevant frustrations - it's no secret that neither of us subscribe to sealed/graded collecting anyway haha.

-CasualCart

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The biggest problem with UV is direct and reflected sunlight (e.g., off of white walls or silver/reflective objects).

In your case, i wouldn't put them out in the open in such a bright room; there's a high chance rays are still hitting your games. Use blackout curtains during the day time. I keep all my games in a single room with them, personally.

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 2

Blackout shades or bust. I wouldnt trust any claims about UV protectant. Not saying wata is making it up, just doubt any long term studies have been done. If someone knows otherwise I would love to see that info. 

Just open your windows on a nice day, or when you are in there enjoying it. Keep em closed the rest of the time. Mine are right next to an east facing window so they would get blasted in the morning. Thats what i do and it works out well

That residue doesn't look like any sticker residue I've seen. If they're removing the sticker though, you'd think they'd also clean that before encasing it forever. Did you ask them to remove the sticker or do they do that without you asking? 

• 2 weeks later...

People don't even realize incandescent, and fluorescent lighting all emit UV rays so it's not only natural sunlight but artificial lighting that can do damage. I believe most standard LED lights are safe to use but don't quote me on that. 

Edited by kahnman