IGNORED

LRG -- Biggest Hits & Misses

I was looking through my vast orders from LRG... which made me think - What is your favorite LRG production? What are you most disappointed with?

Overall, I'm just thankful LRG publishes games which in general would not receive a physical release!

Still, I think LRG at their best include Jak and Daxter Remastered, which was beautifully done and was high-quality. About the worst thing you can say about it is that it does take up quite a bit of space 🙂

I was a bit disappointed by their Ys Origin release for the PS4, which was probably 3-4 years ago. First, it did not include the original soundtrack, secondly, the whole box and design was rather poor. Later on, there was a secondary Ys Origin release which DID include the soundtrack and was much better! I ended up trading my Ys Origin release. My purchasing of LRG has slowed down recently because they're outputting so much, but I have no problem with this. Again, I purchase what I enjoy! Of course, if I was a completionist and wanted to purchase every single LRG release... well, you'd have to be a millionaire 💰

• Love 1

Scott Pilgrim KO edition was totally awesome. I’m not a huge fan of LRG so I only really order stuff that speaks to me. I’m pretty much out on them for future stuff unless it’s TMNT related. I’m way to impatient for this over a year to get items shit. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 2

I only buy a few of the collector's editions  -  iust depends on what is in them vs the cost.  Of the ones I have gotten these two stand out for me:

Thimbleweed Park - This one just screams that it is  an homage to the old Infocom games with all of those fun feelies.

Return of the Obra Dinn -  I really liked the mimicking of the various related historical documents.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

I only own the N64 rereleases of the Star Wars games. Quality is pretty poor, the interior contents of the big collector's box thing has basically fallen apart over time, it's made of REALLY thin cardboard which is unable to support the contents.

I guess these games were only intended to be gimmicks, to accompany the Switch rereleases or something? Either way, poor showing tbh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So far my favorite probably would have to be Golf Story I would think, a nice Switch exclusive that gave us what Mario Golf should NOT have strayed from.  A couple others would be the mid-tier collector editions of Castlevania and NGPC because of the utterly fantastic audio cd and then the Jeremy Parish retrospective book in the other.

Downers?  Some of the re-releases really because quite frankly it wasn't worth the time, money, or the wait because really given they also popped up on computer (and other systems too) left them feeling hollow, cheap, and kind of senseless when you could get it anywhere do whatever.

I got rid of Streets of Rage4 and Panzer Dragoon over it as they just were a snore and not worth the funds, so I largely broke even dumping them, when they get a 50% off sale on GOG I'll get them back.  Lower brow pick up and play stuff like that flies better for me on a non-finite setup like the PC where the games still work without digging up old hardware in time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skorp said:

Got every single release from LRG for the Switch so far and I truly love the KO edition the most, which I already had a feeling I would when I first saw the artwork. It's so dang neat! The wait was insane though.

Wow, every single release! Good for you and your collection, I'm impressed 🙂

Oh, and feel free to share some pics!

• 9 months later...

Not LRG, but here is one of the most amazing limited editions ever - for sale! This is

Gris -- Signature Edition by Special Reserve Games

Please note, I have NO connection whatsoever with the seller. That said, 250 copies were produced, and each one includes an ORIGINAL hand-painted piece of art by artist Conrad Roset! It's beautiful...

https://www.conradroset.com/

It's also a lot of money... arguably worth it, but for most of us, out of reach. Still, this is definitely what I would call a "huge hit" and maybe the most beautiful limited edition ever produced. One can dream.

dd.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295426817275

On 4/10/2022 at 12:38 AM, avatar! said:

I was a bit disappointed by their Ys Origin release for the PS4, which was probably 3-4 years ago. First, it did not include the original soundtrack, secondly, the whole box and design was rather poor. Later on, there was a secondary Ys Origin release which DID include the soundtrack and was much better! I ended up trading my Ys Origin release.

I love the Ys series, Origin is one of the few games of the series that had never seen a console release in English until that point, so I absolutely had to have it, and it's one of the only collector's versions I've ever ordered from LRG.

And I agree, it's absolutely horrid. Just feels flimsy and cheap, even if it had only cost $5 more it wouldn't have been worth it.

Almost everything I buy from LRG is just the game in a standardized box and nothing else, so I can't really speak to whether that's a "hit" or a "miss". These are all games that exist in the same form with or without LRG's involvement, so the actual quality of the games is irrelevant I'm assuming.

One thing I'll add is that a few of the games they released had actual beautifully crafted digital manuals created for them prior to the LRG release, and them not including them in actual booklet form in their standard releases is kinda shitty. I had a really good example of that recently, but I can't remember what game it was. I'm sure someone else in here can remind me 🙂 

Edited by Sumez